Why do people try to follow me on Strava?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

boysa

by boysa

Ha... It's like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Asteroid

by Asteroid

I love my Strava. But if you ride super slow like me, you'll get 67 followers like me. :oops:
Oldbie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4151zero

by 4151zero

Asteroid wrote:I love my Strava. But if you ride super slow like me, you'll get 67 followers like me. :oops:

same here, except minus 65 of your followers, though :beerchug:

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

On other social media platforms there are also internet marketers and scammers who will set up fake accounts and fire out a ton of friend requests, with the hope that some percentage of them will be accepted, and then they can start sending out spam messages to their group of "friends". That was going on with Facebook for a while, where people would set up fake accounts with photos of a guy with a bike, making the assumption that if you are into biking and you get a friend request from a guy with a bike related profile photo, you might think "maybe he's a friend of a friend or I met him on a ride or race". I'm not saying that is what what is going on in the OP's case, but it is a possibility. Looking at the activity feed of the requester should provide an indicator, as it would be considerably more involved to generate a realistic looking feed of fake rides over an extended period.

AJS914

by AJS914

Lately I've been getting kudos from random chicks. If you look at their profile they don't ride and aren't local to me. I'm sure it's the start of some kind of scam.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/29339216

Hey, she even has a low res picture of her butt!

Several times I've gotten kudos from an unknown female and I only see it in notifications because their account has already been deleted.

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

They're like a plague on Strava lately, spam accounts keep appearing faster than they can delete them.
All you can do is block them until they get removed,
I think if you view the profile on the mob app there's a link to a dodgy website.
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/art ... -on-Strava

LouisN

by LouisN

Yeah, remember to block you GPS physical address location on your account, so the whole internet doesn't know where your precious bikes "Live" ;) ...

Louis :)

Asteroid

by Asteroid

LouisN wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:26 pm
Yeah, remember to block you GPS physical address location on your account, so the whole internet doesn't know where your precious bikes "Live" ;) ...

Point taken. Although there's zero crime in Canada, Louis. Last theft occurred in Monsonee back in '97, when somebody left the key in their snowmobile's ignition. :)
Oldbie

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, but they left a note saying they were sorry.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LouisN

by LouisN

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Roel W

by Roel W

I follow some riders I don't know in person but they live in my neighbourhood, they ride a lot and I use their rides as a way to discover the nice roads as I know they ride on the quiet roads. But they're 3 to5 maximum, no more.

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

I think it would be cool if Strava could charge like 2 to say 5 cents for giving a kudo.
Then it might start to really mean something. :P
More than 10 years a Weenie!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Stolichnaya wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:26 pm
My tolerance for alcohol is way higher than my tolerance for most people
I love a fitting avatar :lol:

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

I follow tons of random people (that I've never met) in my area because I like to be able to see their routes. It helps give me ideas of where to ride being new to this city.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com