Road bike in British Columbia/ Canada?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

Where are the best location to road bike in British Columbia (including Alberta around Banff/ Jasper)?

I have one week holiday to come and I would like to "explore" a little further British Columbia and have some other experience than my regular bike rides in lower Mainland in the Fraser Valley, Harrison Hot Springs, Chilliwack, Hope, Manning Park etc....

The ideal bike tour would be 4 to 7 hours and would have maybe some nice climbs; ideally not on a highway etc...

Does Whistler make sense for road biking, or Banff or Jasper? Or where is nice to road bike for a few days ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dj97223

by dj97223

Hi,

I was there last month. I got great advice from others here in a thread I started.

I'd recommend the ride from Banff to Lake Louise on the 1A (which you can access from a paved trail beginning in Banff). Many cyclists ride it. It is very scenic, with lots of wildlife, and a bit hilly in spots. There is also climbing to ski resorts very near Banff.

I drove up toward Jasper on the Icefields Parkway from Lake Louise. There were cyclists there as well, and wide shoulders, but the vehicle traffic there travels at about 50 - 60 mph. The hills on the Parkway are much longer than on the 1A.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Be-careful riding past Whistler to Pemberton. At this point it is considered a no road bike zone.

The native locals have been threatening cyclist with horns and brake-checking cyclist. Iron Man Whistler also lost their route through Pemberton.

The road from Manning park to Keremeos has recently been repaved and provides an excellent bike route.