Shopping for front and rear lights

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jlok

by jlok

Johnny Rad wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:52 pm
TonyM wrote:I just saw this front light that can be mounted between the Garmin mount and the Garmin itself!

Fabric Lumaray.
https://fabric.cc/products/lights/lumar ... ont-light/
You've uncovered a potential gem! Thanks for sharing. Wished it had more operating life, but... Trying to place my order.

Would be ideal if someone made a double-sided out front mount... I'm off to re-read our marathon post on the subject now.
I think Garmin has it? Vaira front light has the quarter turn mechanism... also Edge 1030 external battery pack???
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Yes, Martyn @ Raceware Direct got me sorted perfectly.

He makes a double-sided mount for Garmin's twisty connection. He said that Garmins and Vaira use the same twisty bit.

Now the trick is getting my hands on Fabric's Lumaray. Seems nobody in the USA has one... and European sellers have been instructed not to ship to the USA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

nickf wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:42 pm
Dunno 30 lumen is on the low side. Even in the video it seems kinda weak. Ok if you just wanna be "legal". As for a piece of safety equipment I don't think so.
Agreed, but it's ~5 lumen better than my wee Knog so I've got that going for me... which is nice.

TonyM

by TonyM

@Johnny Rad:

My LBS checked and in Canada we will have in in March 2018.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Johnny Rad wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:50 am

He makes a double-sided mount for Garmin's twisty connection. He said that Garmins and Vaira use the same twisty bit.

Now the trick is getting my hands on Fabric's Lumaray. Seems nobody in the USA has one... and European sellers have been instructed not to ship to the USA.
Got my new double-Garmin mount. That was the easy part. Getting the Fabric Lumaray is proving to be more difficult. Seems it won't be available in the States until March... hopefully I won't have an awesome "out front mount" for a vaporware light. :lol:

This amount is 28g whereas my "std" single RWD Garmin mount is 15g. Not bad.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Johnny Rad wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:02 am
Johnny Rad wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:50 am

Got my new double-Garmin mount. That was the easy part. Getting the Fabric Lumaray is proving to be more difficult. Seems it won't be available in the States until March... hopefully I won't have an awesome "out front mount" for a vaporware light. :lol:

This amount is 28g whereas my "std" single RWD Garmin mount is 15g. Not bad.

I haven't ridden with my new Fabric Lumaray, yet.

Finally got my paws on a Fabric Lumaray. It's listed at 28g +/-2g, actual 30g. It's set to replace my itty bitty Knog Frog (18g), which I've happily used for a few seasons now.

At 30 lumens on HI, the Lumaray seems a wee bit brighter than my 25 lumen Knog Frog. Then again my Knog is operating with CR2032 batteries that are a few rides old now. The Lumaray is designed to be seen from the side, which the Knog Frog can't match.

The Fabric Lumaray charges with the same style cord as my Garin 520, which is handy. However, I can't charge my Garmin while the two are mounted to one another. Depending upon how I end up mounting my Lumaray and Garmin, this may come into play.

Speaking of mounting the Lumaray to my Garmin ... twisting them apart is quite the affair. The Lumaray is on tight (that's good), but makes a plastic cracking sound (!!!) when they're twisted apart. The Lumaray hasn't broken yet, so maybe it's just a quirk. Fingers crossed! Knock on wood.

Now I've got to decide how I'll mount it to my roadie:
- My new dual-sided RWD mount has a lot of space between them, but I won't ever see the light hanging down when I'm riding - double ugh
- Stack the two on my existing single-sided RWD mount and see if I care for the elevated Garmin position above the stem line - ugh

jfranci3

by jfranci3

For “be seen” lights, Specialized has a nice stem spacer Stix Mount

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

With Martyn's help at Raceware Direct (RWD), I *think* I've finally nailed the mount for my Garmin and Fabric Lumaray blinky.

I liked the idea of the Lumaray because it'd get my small Knog blinky off my bar plus it put out a few more lumens. It's not a headlight by any means, just a front blinky.

The Lumaray uses a Garmin-style attachment, so it can sit underneath a Garmin. I tried it, but it put my Garmin above the plane of the stem and looked awkward. Plus the double-decker set-up was jiggly on the road, which made reading the Garmin's screen a bit annoying.

Then I tried a double-sided mount with the underside being tilt adjustable. It was better, but the Lumaray hung so low that it didn't look racey enough to be honest.

Now I've traded the tilt adjustment for a much more compact double-side mount and it's a winner! And it's not jiggly. Moving from a RWD single-sided mount to this double-sided mount added 4g, (vs. 13g for the tilt-adjustable double-sided mount).

Wiht respect to the Lumaray's performance, it's fine. Not earth-shattering. It blinks. I think it's design makes it visible from the side, so that's nice assuming it's not hidden by my hands. (Wished it made me faster, but it hasn't - yet.)

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Better pic of my new, non-adjustable two-sided out front mount from RWD. What a mouthful, but it's offset by being just what I wanted. Thanks, Martyn!