Shopping for front and rear lights

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

jever98 wrote:True dat. That said - an Ituo is <$100

lol yea, I don't spend that much time during the night just something to get me home on evening rides.

How did the aliexpress one treat you?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jever98

by jever98

Soso. Had to mess with the goprp mount to get it to work and the on off button isn't good.
----
No longer in the industry

uraqt

by uraqt

While the combo is just a little over OP 100$

Exposure Flare rear light is worth the extra money it's 50$ and both Niterider, Light & Motion make front lights that are 700 lumens and around 60/70USD if you shop... you can get mount for both Niterider, Light & Motion that do the GoPro thing... But I am not sure that you really need them Light & Motion is rubber band that is quick and easy and Niterider is twist clamp that is almost as fast.

C

leej88

by leej88

I have both the Lupine Rotchlit and the updated Cateye Rapid x3 (150 lumens).

Both rear lights have similar lumen output but the Cateye appears much more visible as the throw is wider.

The accelerometer and light sensor on Lupine is rather gimmicky imo.

jever98

by jever98

Received the Ituo Wiz 1 last week. Yet to be tested, but size, build quality and functions all seem very nice.
----

petal666

by petal666

Anything over 700 lumens is too much for the road. My exposure does 2000 or something silly and it's great, but you can't use it at that power if there is any oncoming traffic.

slowK

by slowK

I had a Light and Motion Urban (as others have suggested) which was very good. However, after observing lots of other riders, I replaced it with a Cateye Volt 800. Main reason is the hyper constant mode (constant 200 lumens with a staccato 800 lumen flash) is really noticeable, but not annoying. I use it during the daytime too, but I'm paranoid about being seen on the road.

The L&M has a nicer attachment (rubber strap built into the light, no mounting hardware left on your bars) and has orange side lights (tho I think much of that gets blocked by my arms on the hoods). But its pulse mode is too subtle (kinda sine wave phasic increase/decrease in brightness).

The Cateye has a helmet mount available too.

P90Puma

by P90Puma

I have the Cateye Volt 800 as the poster above me, and it's great. Thinking about switching for the Garmin UT800 for a cleaner mount on a K-Edge combo mount, anyone used this yet?

For rear I run a Bontrager Flare RT, Wife runs the regular R, don't even think about riding during any conditions with it off anymore.

tomee

by tomee

i like the exposure flareR simply because it has a constant red light with a pulse function instead of the on/off like most lights on the market.

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

I don't know why, but I thought finding a go pro compatible front light would be a lot easier...

imbloke

by imbloke

There are few models/brands you can consider buying for below $100 (combined).

Light & Motion 350, Cateye Volt 500
Taillights - Cateye Rapid X3, Knog Blinder R70

LINK REMOVED

P90Puma

by P90Puma

The volt 800 is on for a decent discount for "cyber week" https://www.probikekit.ca/cycling-acces ... 72854.html

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I bought myself a good 900+ lumen flashlight (Nightcore SRT7 on sale) and made a mount out of a K-Edge style GoPro mount and parts from Home Depot for a little over $100 with the batteries and charger. Bright enough for 30+mph descents, will run 2+ hours at full beam on one 18650 rechargeable battery.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

jever98

by jever98

My issue with using flashlights on the road is that you are blinding oncoming traffic and the beam pattern isn't terribly useful. I'm currently looking at a light that's on Kickstarter, which has a road specific beam with a cut off
----

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

jever98 wrote:My issue with using flashlights on the road is that you are blinding oncoming traffic and the beam pattern isn't terribly useful. I'm currently looking at a light that's on Kickstarter, which has a road specific beam with a cut off

I suppose it depends on the flashlight, but I've been using this for over a year and haven't had an issue. I've had cycling specific $2-300 Nightrider lights that were less effective. Off road may be different, but beam is good enough for 30+mph descents and I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic. I also have a Fly12 mounted as a camera and prefer the light from my SRT7 to the one on the cycling specific light/camera.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com