Riding in the Provence - Luberon

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

benzebub

by benzebub

Hello guys,

I'll spend some days in the Provence and Luberon this summer (France).

Any good tips for riding? Mt Ventoux ofcourse, But I'm looking for some scenic rides around small roads with some nice villages too..

Will be staying in Velleron and Le Puy-Sainte-Réparade
But I could be wrong

Antoine

by Antoine

I'm not too familiar with this area but to the east Greoux les bains comes to mind. I think teams like Cofidis and AG2R are going there sometimes for winter training camps.

You can find some circuits here : http://www.greoux-les-bains.com/greoux-les-bains/fr/23/cyclotourisme.html > Les parcours incontournables

There is a sportive in May : http://www.bouclesduverdon.fr/boucles-2017/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

One of my friends guides for Stuart Hall Cycling in the area, and he says there's lots of great riding (Gorges de la Nesque for example), that all knock spots off the Ventoux, but unfortunately thats the 1 everyone wants to do...

I think he likes going out towards Malaucene too.
Official cafe stop tester

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I rode Ventoux last summer from the Bedouin side. Very tough climb. If you are into wine an rhone varietals you might want to ride toward CDP, vacqueras and gigondas.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

ghyselinckr

by ghyselinckr

When are you going?

I spend a week in Provence every summer (in Vacheres). This year it's 20-27 july.
In Saint-Etienne-Les Orgues, the 'small brother' of the Mont Ventoux starts his way. 18km at 5%, but very unknown and quiet. I'm almost alone when I ride there. The climb is called 'Col de Lure'.
Otherwise, you can ride around the Montagne the Luberon (Lourmarin, Pertuis etc). Less climbing, more hilly like (although everything is hilly in comparison to flat Belgium where I live).

But you can't go wrong. There is almost no real flats, everywhere you go there is some climbing to do.

Send me a PM if you want more info!

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

WOW! only 164 attempts ofCol de Lure par Valbelle this year
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

benzebub

by benzebub

thanks for the tips, they all look great!
I did the Mt Ventoux last year, but from the Sault side. I had no problems doing the ascent, did it in 1:43h but "underpaced" a bit since I didn't know what to expect and wanted to save myself for the last part.. should I be able to do the Bedoin side based on this info?

form has improved since last year but sadly enough I'm a rather heavy object on a bike so climbing isn't my speciality (but I love to do it)
But I could be wrong

Digger90

by Digger90

I'm sure you'l be fine. The ascent from Bedoin is steeper - you're ascending almost 1,600 metres (1 mile) in 21kms versus 1,260 (ish) metres in 26kms, so it's a tougher climb.. but just enjoy the scenery, it's wonderful. :-)

outnumbered

by outnumbered

+1 for Signal de la Lure, it is quiet and very nice.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Recommend the area west of Malaucene. Col de la Chaine, Suzette. Lovely quiet roads and great for a recovery ride after ventoux.

benzebub

by benzebub

thanks for the tips guys!

on a related note, is there another way to download strava gpx files without upgrading to premium? I found some activities departing from the village where we are staying so it would be great to use those routes, but I don't want to shell out the 1 month of premium (sadly already used the free 2 months)..
But I could be wrong

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Digger90

by Digger90

benzebub wrote:thanks for the tips guys!

on a related note, is there another way to download strava gpx files without upgrading to premium? I found some activities departing from the village where we are staying so it would be great to use those routes, but I don't want to shell out the 1 month of premium (sadly already used the free 2 months)..

Why not use RideWithGPS?

It's free... and I find it's much better than Strava for route planning, editing etc. The only thing I can see missing is Strava's hotspots/frequently ridden segments.