buying a second hand modern "vintage" racing bike

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I posted in the chat section as I think it might be more... chatty

anyway, I want to buy an 'old' racing bike, but not old old - something along the lines of a Trek 5900, maybe Caad :mrgreen: six (or whatever Gibo Simoni rode), or some old Look...

the prices on those bikes are a bargain and it's sort of tempting to own a piece of modern history and be really able to compare it to today's top bikes. I wonder though how much sense does it make - will they still provide the quality? changing a chain or cassette is not an issue, but wheels, frameset, bars... how well do they really age?

I once bought an Orbea Starship from a team - used as a spare/training bike. it was a wet noodle and nothing worked properly - like the bike never saw a mechanic. carbon bikes should be better at maintaining quality, but are they? has anyone of you had any experience getting a bike like that?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

AJS914

by AJS914

With a used bike (or anything) it's all about condition. I have a 2007ish Time VXS that is still a fantastic bike. I picked up a 2003 Colnago C40 that is in mint condition. You'll pay more for a bike that hung in the garage more than it was ridden but you'll probably be happier.

I think it also helps to ask yourself when/how you'll use this older bike. I bought a Guerciotti (SLX tubing) in the mid-90s. I raced it for 5 years before moving on to titanium and carbon. After sitting in the garage for 15 years I decided to build it up with modern 10 speed. It rode nicely but as a heavier 3rd bike in the stable it never got ridden. I bought the C40 because I've always wanted one and I found an exceptional example but I'm wondering how many miles I will ride it as I have my C59 which is an awesome bike. If you have an awesome bike, how often do you take out the vintage bike that weights 2 pounds more?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I just built up a 2000 Cannondale CAAD5 from scratch and threw 10-speed di2 on it. I had no compatibility issues at all and in some ways was easier to deal with than my Addict SL due to the lack of internal cable routing, BB86, etc. I also had a friend build up an early 2000's 853 Lemond frame with Campy Veloce. Both bikes ended up being a blast to ride.
The only modern luxuries that you're giving up are pressfit bottom brackets, beefy headsets and disc brakes. I think the cutoff point is anything with a threadless headset, although opting for 1 1/8" instead of 1" will definitely open your weight weenie fork options.

micky

by micky

Carbon, if not broken, is supposed to maintain its properties almost forever (Id like to hear someone with more knowledge than me on this).

I do agree with you, sometimes it's possible to find some real good deals on bikes that used to be top end, even ex team bikes with a bit of a history.

Personally I do have a Colnago C40, the first generation, which Im supposed to build for myself but Im way too lazy and keep changing idea on how to build it. :lol:

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

my biggest concern is how much mileage can a carbon frame do before it starts to downgrade significantly. the bikes I saw they all had 2 or possibly more owners, you can tell by the drivetrain (e.g. chainrings are evidently newer than the cranks) they weren't just hanging in the garage 8) . things like replaced rims in factory wheels aren't that rare either.

as for my plans for the bike, I just wanna be able to ride it whenever I want. I won't be my main bike, I don't indend to use it as a rain/winter bike either, but I still want it not to be the lesser one if you know what I mean.

here's an example: Cannondale six13, not that old, but I believe already 10+ years or so

frame is a mix-up of alu and CF, cranks are Caad SI (didn't they break or smth?). and there are the Ksyriums...

KarlC

by KarlC

I had the same itch, so I found a great deal on a poorly sorted classic Colnago Master X-Light - PR82

Bought this .....

Now its this ....

There is nothing I can say about a Colnago Master X-Light that has not already been said 1000xs, pure joy.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

hmmm... maybe I should look for steel too. got one lying in my basement, some old stuff from 70's but I'm affraid the frame has different dimensions for wheels, BB etc. gonna give it a try though :idea:

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I was thinking about something newer, like the KX, 381 or a 481

Willier

by Willier

micky wrote:Carbon, if not broken, is supposed to maintain its properties almost forever (Id like to hear someone with more knowledge than me on this).

I do agree with you, sometimes it's possible to find some real good deals on bikes that used to be top end, even ex team bikes with a bit of a history.

Personally I do have a Colnago C40, the first generation, which Im supposed to build for myself but Im way too lazy and keep changing idea on how to build it. :lol:

Come on Micky, you can do it!!! Panaria-Lampre colour?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Good work on the colnago master x light. The before shot was a horror

Asteroid

by Asteroid

I realize WWs strive for lightness, but the older, heavier framesets do not necessarily cause performance to suffer.
Especially outfitted with the newer components and wheelsets.

My '94 Merlin Extralight with DA9000 (17lbs+) gets me around plenty fast. Gives me some extra exercise on long climbs. lol
Working on a sub-14lb complete build with a Supersix EVO. Curious to see how it will compare when ready to go.

Now if you really want to talk about an "old" bike, try riding one of my 70's all-Campy bikes. Hard to believe I rode those to under 25 minutes in ten-mile TT's as a kid. The top riders (Tom Ritchey, Steve Lundgren, Jacques Boyer, etc.) beat me by over three minutes!
Oldbie

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I'm not looking to build an old frame with all new components - I want the whole thing - drivetrain, wheels, I already even bought brand new first gen. Micheling Pro Race tires :wink:

after seeing few of that sort of bikes I must say they haven't received the treatment they deserve - the frames alone are mostly OK, just some scratches here and there, but what the components reveal - lots of dirt, dried grease, even signs of rust or corrosion - don't promise anything good. and that's without looking into BB area or headset... anyway most of those bikes were probably bought as cheap bikes and treated that way. it's really sad to look at, esp. since it's often not the question of mileage but basic negligence - how hard is it to clean your bike even once a season :roll:

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

My time Vxrs worldstar with modern components can still rival the new frames out there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Had a little too much Montepulciano and ended up buying this from a guy in Bosnia-Hertzigovina. Image
After a little playing it looks like this.
As for the ride, it's surprising how little it gives up to modern carbon or XCR stainless steel. 2.5kg heavier than my carbon and 1kg up on XCR but barely any slower on my 22km commute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk