Acrylic, plastic, polycarbonate for stem top cap bolt?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

How safe and secure you think? I'm guessing ok considering in theory you don't really need one. Is acrylic the same as polycarbonate? Seems tricky finding a countersunk M6 bolt though for polycarbonate, acrylic easy as

mentok

by mentok

I don't see why not. Do your initial setup with a steel bolt, tighten stem bolts, remove steel bolt and replace with poly/acrylic then just hope you don't need to adjust it while you're out on the road?

spud

by spud

thing to look at is whether the material has creep or not. Initial elasticity is not a problem, might even be a benefit to ensure appropriate preload. But you wouldn't want it loosening up. I can tell you, for instance, that Nylon would not be a good material as it has a high coefficient of thermal expansion, as well hydro expansion.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Right so anyone know of an online source for M6 x 35mm countersunk polycarbonate bolts? Ebay is throwing out nothing

joejack951

by joejack951

Any plastic will creep over time if subjected to a constant load. There is no avoiding it, only tempering of it by using heavily filled plastics (which are extremely brittle in comparison to unfilled). Nylon does also absorb a significant amount of water (when unfilled) and will swell as a result.

If you want to save weight, do as suggested above and preload the bearings with a metal screw, tighten the stem, then just use the plastic screw to hold the cap on place. At that point, the screw material is a non-issue as you aren't requiring any significant strength from it.

Creep: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creep_(deformation)