climbing with high profile rim.. thoughts?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

addictR1
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

i know most climbing sets are low profile to reduce weight and such. but what about using a high profile rim with the same weight?

i recently acquired Reynold Aero72 tubular which is sub 1300g for the set. i've tried climbing with it and found it a bit challenging when climbs are 15% grade. in my mind i'm thinking this set is lighter than my previous Kinlin 31mm profile alloy wheelset, but why it felt more difficult to climb?

i would think with a 72mm profile, the wheelset will be even stiffer than my 31mm profile one, hence better power transfer. or is it all in my mind?

would like to hear your thoughts on this. thanks~

by Weenie


nismosr
Posts: 1030
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 5:15 pm

by nismosr

I've done it on my previous Cervelo S5 with 808/404 Tubular seat up with max grade of 22% 52 miles at about 6300ft. Slow ride and no pr broken but it wasn't a bad ride. https://ridewithgps.com/trips/2667228

djgarrett21
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:22 pm

by djgarrett21

Last two years I rode Aero58's almost exclusively. Lots of rides with quite a bit of climbing and all sorts of grades. They made virtually no difference in my time compared to my box section wheels which were ~100g lighter. I couldn't ever say I noticed a difference in my ability to climb. My guess is that it is psychological. The only thing I can think of that would be noticeable is in strong cross winds where handling could be impacted.

addictR1
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

the side wind effect may be a good factor in my climb. maybe it's mental. figures rotational mass from a high profile rim with lower weight should take the same energy to climb compared to a shallower rim with same weight.

User avatar
micky
Posts: 4717
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Vicenza
Contact:

by micky

Please don't do it; you seriously risk to have a high placebo effect which will make you go faster despite the weight penality!

User avatar
tymon_tm
Posts: 2431
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:35 pm

by tymon_tm

I actually climbed on all kinds of deep wheels - from 2kg+ deep alu somethings, through Cosmics and now Boras. I don't use low-pro wheels, except for extremely windy days. but climbing? for me deeper wheel just feels better, stiffer, sturdier, you name it, thus it makes riding and climbing more enjoyable. the weight penalty? well, I never noticed or felt any of that, moreover even heavy pigs felt good due to forementioned stiffness
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

addictR1
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

micky wrote:Please don't do it; you seriously risk to have a high placebo effect which will make you go faster despite the weight penality!


love it~! thanks~

tymon_tm wrote:I actually climbed on all kinds of deep wheels - from 2kg+ deep alu somethings, through Cosmics and now Boras. I don't use low-pro wheels, except for extremely windy days. but climbing? for me deeper wheel just feels better, stiffer, sturdier, you name it, thus it makes riding and climbing more enjoyable. the weight penalty? well, I never noticed or felt any of that, moreover even heavy pigs felt good due to forementioned stiffness


which BORA are you riding on now? 35 or 50? a mate in the group i ride with have an avg 230W+ FTP and recommended me to get the Aero72 for my TMR02, which looks and feels sexy and fast. but when comes to him buying his wheelset, he went with Bora Ultra 35 instead of 50 on his S5 because he didn't think he can spin a bora 50 uphill. lol...

my FTP is less than 180 now, was at 192 last year before my crash. now just trying to build it back up but health hasn't been good to me this year.

Delorre
Posts: 961
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm

by Delorre

addictR1 wrote:i know most climbing sets are low profile to reduce weight and such. but what about using a high profile rim with the same weight?

i recently acquired Reynold Aero72 tubular which is sub 1300g for the set. i've tried climbing with it and found it a bit challenging when climbs are 15% grade. in my mind i'm thinking this set is lighter than my previous Kinlin 31mm profile alloy wheelset, but why it felt more difficult to climb?

i would think with a 72mm profile, the wheelset will be even stiffer than my 31mm profile one, hence better power transfer. or is it all in my mind?

would like to hear your thoughts on this. thanks~


It may be that the Reynolds wheels are to stiff for you, while the Kinlin may have some give that helps you when the gradiants go into double digits. Stiffer is not always better if you don't have the 'engine' and power to go with all that stiffness :wink:

And, those 72 tubulars weight 1420 and not < 1300, so not that much lighter than your Kinlin wheels.

addictR1
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

Ops your right.. I when back and checked it's 1374g

ImageImage

i guess i'll just need to work on the engine more.. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
kgt
Posts: 6807
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Athens, Greece

by kgt

Climbing on high profile wheels is not a good idea not so much for their higher weight but for their sensitivity to crosswinds. You really do not want your wheelset to get pushed sideways when riding downhill with 70-80km/h.

fromtrektocolnago
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 pm

by fromtrektocolnago

bad idea. if you are gaining serious altitude you're will be dealing with crosswinds at some point its almost unavoidable
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Trek 5200(ultegra)

addictR1
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

i agree on the high altitude + crosswind is not a good combo especially downhill. then what would you guys recommend? maybe something with 35mm or less profile?

User avatar
kgt
Posts: 6807
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Athens, Greece

by kgt

Hyperon, Gipfelsturm and similar low profile wheelsets.
Aluminium rims are another good and proven idea. If not for our... vanity we should all ride on low profile alu wheelsets IMHO.

fromtrektocolnago
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 pm

by fromtrektocolnago

addictR1 wrote:i agree on the high altitude + crosswind is not a good combo especially downhill. then what would you guys recommend? maybe something with 35mm or less profile?


Probably a pair of Enve 3.4's but honestly nothing beats a pair of Dura Ace C-24's for climbing in my book.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Trek 5200(ultegra)

by Weenie


addictR1
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

kgt.. i do have a set of kinlin 19mm profile wheelset. but wanted to go tubular now that i've caught the bug. heard alloy tubular may not be as good as brake heat may warm up the glue causing the tubs to come lose?

fromtrektocolnago wrote:Probably a pair of Enve 3.4's but honestly nothing beats a pair of Dura Ace C-24's for climbing in my book.


never tried one before but one of my mate got one 3rd handed for $300 - C24 carbon tubular and swears by it. i'd love to get the carbon version.. but hella bank~!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post