bike weight and performance?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alanor

by Alanor

First time on this site due to curiosity about bike weight and can it make a difference in performance. My main hobby is gaming but weekend's and the odd weekday I go out on my bike (Cervelo R3) and put some miles in. I was out riding yesterday ,crouch end. North London. This guy pulled alongside me
He had a crazy carbon bike. Carbon brakes, chainrings . The seat and post were joined up together and so was his bars and stem. It said Guru on the sloped tube. I followed him into Wolseley road. This is a pretty steep climb so I was in my small ring. This guy stayed in his big ring infact he was almost halfway on his rear cassette. It was incredible he hit the steep part really fast and took off. I have never seen someone ride like that. He was turning the pedals quite easy.
Was it that he had a much lighter bike than me that he could do that? He was gone and I turned around and went home. I spoke to a friend this morning and he ran into the same guy ( we think) at crouch hill.
He said he was riding a Trek. We are pretty sure its the same guy. Its was my friend who put onto this site.
I would be interested to know posters thoughts or if they know what bike it is i.e guru or trek .
Many thanks Alanor

PS I'm not really a forum guy so forgive me if i don't respond. More info is really the point
Thanks

by Weenie

jekyll man

by jekyll man

he's xena and barred from here :wink:
yes he has a guru and a trek
Official cafe stop tester

AJS914

by AJS914

Ha ha!

Did Xena get banned? I guess I missed the memo. :-)

GT56

by GT56

a light bike helps going up a hill, but the real improvement for you would be spending less time gaming and more on riding your bike

wingguy

by wingguy

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Welcome back Xena... Good to see you haven't changed.
Using Tapatalk

Alanor

by Alanor

GT56 wrote:a light bike helps going up a hill, but the real improvement for you would be spending less time gaming and more on riding your bike

Obviously worked out I am a female , Ellenor. Typical patronizing response. I actually ride to and from work most days from where I live Walthamstow to central London. Not everyone can have the time to train like a professional and I don't want to. I have a quite stressful job managing up to 20 people so gaming I find is a way to switch off.
I have no idea who xena ( warrior woman.great name) is but she obviously ruffled a few man ego's.
I stated quite clearly that person I saw riding was a "guy" I did have a short with chat him but he was more interested in my bike. He did say his
name but I'm not sure if he said graham or ray.
It would have been nice to have had some sensible reply's but man centric it is.
Exactly why I stopped posting on forums
Paranoid conspiracy abound. BYE

wingguy

by wingguy

Alanor wrote:I stated quite clearly that person I saw riding was a "guy"

Alanor wrote:I'm not really a forum guy

Yep. He's a guy, you're a guy, you're both the same guy. Shocker :lol:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

This can only end well..
Using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

Don't worry, I'm done. Promise.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Killjoy
Using Tapatalk

mrgray

by mrgray

this bit reminds me so much of an extended discussion xena was involved in about big ring efficiency, his pedaling style and performance on numerous european peaks (he did not supply precise numbers i think for fear that people might be shocked).

"He had a crazy carbon bike. Carbon brakes, chainrings . The seat and post were joined up together and so was his bars and stem. It said Guru on the sloped tube. I followed him into Wolseley road. This is a pretty steep climb so I was in my small ring. This guy stayed in his big ring infact he was almost halfway on his rear cassette. It was incredible he hit the steep part really fast and took off. I have never seen someone ride like that. He was turning the pedals quite easy."

@Alanor -Xena is a man who used to be on this site alot. As is the case sometimes on forums there was some agitation. It is news to me he was banned. I thought he left. (i thought everything would have worked out had he simply dropped the whole anabolic chicken phrase which seemed to really get on peoples nerves). I think some posters here might imagine that you are in fact Xena because what you've written is what every single bike rider (who is also into weight weenism) would probably like written about them by an observer. People are so unbelievably cynical (not me, I'm unbelievably gullible) but it is unusual for an observer who is not into bikes in a very big way and already a major weight weenie to be able to observe all of these details and then for the to be so pointedly complimentary to the rider, to wit:
- carbon chain ring and brakes
- carbon bike (could assume that pretty much i guess but unless paint free how would you really know?)
- on big ring (i will go for a torque training ride later today and hope that someone notices me being on the big ring but i think i'll be SOL)
- seat and post joined up together, so were the bars and stem
- in middle of rear cluster
- guru
- trek

Anyway @Alanor the truth is that a light bike is alot of fun to put together and really gets you into the bike stuff deep quickly (it is immersive) and that yes a light bike is great for hill climbing but really, it doesn't impact performance very much compared to our own weight (which is terribly unfortunate).
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

evan326

by evan326

A woman easily offended on the internet???

mattr

by mattr

mrgray wrote:this bit reminds me so much of an extended discussion xena was involved in about big ring efficiency, his pedaling style and performance on numerous european peaks (he did not supply precise numbers i think for fear that people might be shocked).
More likely he was worried about being found out.

by Weenie

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

PS I'm not really a forum guy so forgive me if i don't respond. More info is really the point

Obviously worked out I am a female , Ellenor

Have to watch and see. 4 days or so to complete a gender switch is pretty quick, unless it's just how you identify.
Speedplay is the devil!