Sore Foot

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
User avatar
shoemakerpom2010
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:28 pm
Location: Palm Coast, Fl.

by shoemakerpom2010

Has anybody experienced a sore foot at the ball of the foot from a improperly cleat position on the shoe or perhaps flex in the sole of the shoe? Its happening to me recently and I cant figure it out since it only effects my left foot which is not my dominant foot and I use Speedplay zeros with a little float....

Mateusesor
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:50 pm

by Mateusesor

Do you have flat feet? I guess pain like that might be caused when your arches are not well developed
You grow up the day you have the first real laugh at yourself.

by Weenie


TheKaiser
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:29 pm

by TheKaiser

shoemakerpom2010 wrote:Has anybody experienced a sore foot at the ball of the foot from a improperly cleat position on the shoe or perhaps flex in the sole of the shoe? Its happening to me recently and I cant figure it out since it only effects my left foot which is not my dominant foot and I use Speedplay zeros with a little float....


It sounds like you are putting excess pressure right on the first metatarsal head, which I have experienced too. You have several options to help more evenly distribute this pressure, some of which can be tried without much in the way of side effects on the rest of your body (which could be good or bad), but others which will take a little more careful observation and thought.

Right off the bat, I'd say get some ergonomic insoles for your shoes. You can get them from a ton of companies including Shimano, Bontrager, G8, Superfeet, Specialized etc... I'm partial to the sort that have an adjustable arch support, with multiple different arch height inserts that you can try. They usually also feature a metatarsal button, which is a subtle ridge that runs down the middle of the foot. Between the increased arch support and metatarsal button, this will spread the pressure over a larger portion of your foot's surface area.

Then, if that doesn't do the trick, consider moving your cleats backward. Personally, I'd suggest just slamming them all the way back, and since you have speedplay's you can even get an extender baseplate that will allow them to go further still. That will put the center of pressure behind the ball of the foot and allow the heel and midfoot to take more of the weight. This needs to be accompanied by a lowering of your seat as well. This will have the side effect of shifting some of the load off your calf muscles and onto your hamstrings and glutes, which I personally prefer, which may improve your endurance, but at a slight cost to your sprinting speed.

Lastly, you can try some cleat wedges, which are super easy to install on speedplays. They can cant your foot in such a way that it will even out the pressure across your whole forefoot, rather than concentrating it right on the inner edge at the big toe. The side effect here is that they can alter knee tracking. That could be a good thing, as often people with collapsed arches tend to pronate the knee inward, rather than having it descend right above the foot, so you could end up killing 2 birds with 1 stone by doing the wedging, but you would just want to carefully observe and make sure you aren't over correcting and creating a new problem in trying to fix another.

And a good bike fitter should be able to help you out with all that stuff and more, if you don't want to go the DIY route.

Looking at your username, are you actually in the shoemaking business?

boots2000
Posts: 1441
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:28 pm

by boots2000

1.) Try insoles that support your arch (more so than stock insoles).
2.) Put on fresh cleats
3.) Move cleats rearward.
4.) Try pedals that have a better platform like SPD SL.

User avatar
jekyll man
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:23 am
Location: Pack filler

by jekyll man

You haven't got a cleat screw sticking through too far have you?
Its unlikely a flexy shoe nowadays unless yours are a million years old.

FWIW I had 2 pairs of Nike Lances and a pair of hautacams.
Hautacam and 1st pair fit perfectly, 2nd pair gave me so much pain like you describe, lasting for a couple of days (not good when on a riding vacation!!), I only used them a few times before getting rid of.

@boots2000 what is better about the platform of an spd sl?? AFAIK contact area is actually greater on speedplay.
Official cafe stop tester

boots2000
Posts: 1441
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:28 pm

by boots2000

@boots2000 what is better about the platform of an spd sl?? AFAIK contact area is actually greater on speedplay.[/quote]

The problem is that the cleat spring rock back and forth on the pedal body. This causes much instability, for all but the the smoothest and most efficient peddlers.

http://www.epdoc.com/mvv/speedplay/index.html


jekyll man wrote:You haven't got a cleat screw sticking through too far have you?
Its unlikely a flexy shoe nowadays unless yours are a million years old.

FWIW I had 2 pairs of Nike Lances and a pair of hautacams.
Hautacam and 1st pair fit perfectly, 2nd pair gave me so much pain like you describe, lasting for a couple of days (not good when on a riding vacation!!), I only used them a few times before getting rid of.

@boots2000 what is better about the platform of an spd sl?? AFAIK contact area is actually greater on speedplay.

Fiery
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:21 am

by Fiery

jekyll man wrote:what is better about the platform of an spd sl?? AFAIK contact area is actually greater on speedplay.

Yeah, Speedplay marketing people like to claim that, don't they? The standard* 3 to 4 hole adapter plate does have a larger surface area than an SPD-SL cleat, but it's not really stiff enough to spread the pressure across the whole surface. In the end it still comes down to how big the actual pedal surface is. Stiff soles do make it a moot point, though SPS-SL will still feel more stable due to increased width.

*I've no experience with the extender plates​, they might actually be stiff enough to make a difference.

jlok
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 am

by jlok

I had similar problem. Went to physiologist and he said I got weak arch (so it kind of "collapse" when under pressure every stroke of pedalling ). Got a new footbed with carbon fibre plate reinforcement, tuned cleats positions, swapped to wider Shimano shoes... couldn't figure it out by myself. Glad I went to him.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

User avatar
shoemakerpom2010
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:28 pm
Location: Palm Coast, Fl.

by shoemakerpom2010

I am so glad I asked here.... The first I am going to try is move my cleat position and buy better shoes. The shoes I have are Nike and they fit like a glove but the sole is not all carbon its some mix material that's most likely flexing. My foot is very narrow and that's why the nikes fit me so well so I may dry some DMT since they made the shoes for Nike...I can't get rid of the speedplays since they are just so easy to get into and out at traffic lights when in the turning lane and time is of the essence....I will reread all the suggestions again and try to resolve the issue... Thank You.

TheKaiser
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:29 pm

by TheKaiser

shoemakerpom2010 wrote:I am so glad I asked here.... The first I am going to try is move my cleat position and buy better shoes. The shoes I have are Nike and they fit like a glove but the sole is not all carbon its some mix material that's most likely flexing. My foot is very narrow and that's why the nikes fit me so well so I may dry some DMT since they made the shoes for Nike...I can't get rid of the speedplays since they are just so easy to get into and out at traffic lights when in the turning lane and time is of the essence....I will reread all the suggestions again and try to resolve the issue... Thank You.


Bear in mind that some shoes have the cleat holes much further forward than others, so depending on what you buy you may be able to go further back, or be locked into a very forward position. It used to be that Adidas, Mavic, Alpinestars, etc...had very forward placement, which made them nearly unusuable to me. Not sure where DMT is on the spectrum. This is particularly true of the companies doing native speedplay shoes with the 4 bolt mounting built in. On 3 bolt shoes, due to the increasing number of riders moving their cleats back, Shimano, Specialized, and probably some others have started extending the slots rearward to give more range, but that has only been over the past year or so, so older closeouts are unlikely to have that ability.

by Weenie


Mep
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 4:11 pm

by Mep

I do have a similar issue from time to time when running mtb cleats on long road rides.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post