Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

glepore

by glepore

MichaelB wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:32 am
Noticed the issue re auto upload after a ride for last few weeks.

Seems to get partway through and then doesn't complete it. Reboot of unit or app seems to solve it ?

Others with this problem, what has been your fix ? Unpair/Re-pair ?
Mine wouldn't even start, but what fixed it was...do the forget phone thing from bolt. Unpair it from phone, and turn bluetooth off. RESTART PHONE. Then re-pair the bolt.

It used to be a simple unpair/repair worked, but recently it has required a phone reboot in between.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Unniti

by Unniti

glepore wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:43 pm
Unniti wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:41 pm
Anyone else notice Bolt show incorrect wattage in the end of ride screen? I did a 65 minutes at 290 watts yesterday and the post ride screen showed 60 minute power as 277 W.
What were you using to measure the 65 minutes at 290? Did you take any breaks? is the setting for avg power in the bolt set to include zeros?
Favero Assioma Duos with the same Bolt. One lap with 65 minute duration,no breaks, and the Bolt correctly showed the lap average at ~290 the entire duration. Yes it's set to include zeros. It recorded everything as should but then couldn't calculate the average powers at duration at the end of the ride. Having followed this now for a couple of days it seems to be exactly like TribesMan said earlier and Wahoo can't figure out how to calculate power. It's not like this is the first problem with Wahoo and power averages(looking at the issues with Faveros few years ago for example).

by Weenie

TribesMan

by TribesMan

MichaelB wrote:

Seems to get partway through and then doesn't complete it. Reboot of unit or app seems to solve it ?

The whole auto-upload after the ride basically stopped working a few months back. I never had any issues with it in 2 years before that, now I have to manually sync the rides every time...
And a few times in last month after a ride the app is "stuck" with the ride not being synced compeltely.
Restart of the app does not help, turning BT off and on on the phone helps sometimes. Once I had to restart the bolt to get it moving.

I have also noticed the battery life was noticably reduced after one of the latest updates, I used to get 15h easily with a full charge, now it is barely over 10h.

Anyway, not sure what Wahoo has been up to lately, but this issue with auto-upload not working is really annoying.
Also the phone calls and messages are sometimes not displayed. Re-pairing does not do the trick, one ride it does not work, next ride all is ok...

vinny

by vinny

TribesMan wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:03 am
[Anyway, not sure what Wahoo has been up to lately, but this issue with auto-upload not working is really annoying.
Also the phone calls and messages are sometimes not displayed. Re-pairing does not do the trick, one ride it does not work, next ride all is ok...

I get that sometimes, other times its fine. What sometimes fixes it is to turn off the setting in the app sync stuff up (app and bolt) then turn it on and sync again.

Petterii

by Petterii

Unniti wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 pm
Favero Assioma Duos with the same Bolt. One lap with 65 minute duration,no breaks, and the Bolt correctly showed the lap average at ~290 the entire duration. Yes it's set to include zeros. It recorded everything as should but then couldn't calculate the average powers at duration at the end of the ride. Having followed this now for a couple of days it seems to be exactly like TribesMan said earlier and Wahoo can't figure out how to calculate power. It's not like this is the first problem with Wahoo and power averages(looking at the issues with Faveros few years ago for example).
I have same problem with my Roam using 2 Quarqs and Assioma Duos. Wahoo support says that there´s nothing wrong and their avg calculation is correct and everyone else´s wrong. If you care about accurate watt or KJ calculation stick with Garmin. I did.

Unniti

by Unniti

Petterii wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:06 am
Unniti wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 pm
I have same problem with my Roam using 2 Quarqs and Assioma Duos. Wahoo support says that there´s nothing wrong and their avg calculation is correct and everyone else´s wrong. If you care about accurate watt or KJ calculation stick with Garmin. I did.
I love the Wahoo UX and how it has just worked for me ever since they fixed the issues with Favero PMs. I don't really care about the KJ and watt averages the Wahoo shows for me, I use other software for the analysis which all show it correctly. So as long as it records correctly and can show lap/duration power averages correctly while riding it's fine for me. Though if I was looking for a new head unit right now I'd probably go with a Garmin, they've fixed a lot of the problems that originally made me get the Bolt while Wahoo has stayed mostly stagnant.

jever98

by jever98

Agree that the UI is good, with one exception: it drives me nuts that you can only scroll in one direction. I end up having 5-6 pages (depending on if I use laps or not) and it is super annoying always having to cycle through.

They could fix it easily with a minor mod: left button scrolls left, right button scrolls right, middle button is lap on short press, pause on long press.
----
No longer in the industry

moonoi

by moonoi

TribesMan wrote:
MichaelB wrote:

The whole auto-upload after the ride basically stopped working a few months back. I never had any issues with it in 2 years before that, now I have to manually sync the rides every time...
And a few times in last month after a ride the app is "stuck" with the ride not being synced compeltely.
Restart of the app does not help, turning BT off and on on the phone helps sometimes. Once I had to restart the bolt to get it moving.

I have also noticed the battery life was noticably reduced after one of the latest updates, I used to get 15h easily with a full charge, now it is barely over 10h.

Anyway, not sure what Wahoo has been up to lately, but this issue with auto-upload not working is really annoying.
Never had this issue until this weekend, it’s incredibly frustrating and now my power button has decided to fall off! Since it’s well over 2 years old I’m thinking of replacing it with a Garmin 530, While I like the features of the new(ish) Roam, it’s too big and chunky for me and the bolt is comparatively ancient now.

northwestern

by northwestern

All of a sudden,while using kickr, my Bolt stopped calculating calories based on heart rate and just makes them equal to kilojoules. While riding outside it uses heart rate. I wear a heart rate monitor outside and on my kickr. I have a feeling it is because of the new update.

Has this happened to anyone else?

TribesMan

by TribesMan

Yes, this was introduced in an update a month ago.

Added: Calorie calculations from a power source

If you use any kind of power source (power meter or smart trainer) it will equal calories to kJ.
Which is the same way Garmin does it, and it is also more accurate than heart rate based calorie calculation.

The only problem is... Wahoo still does not now how to correctly calculate average power.
They somehow manage to f... it up, and it usually comes 10% too low.
There must be some kind of bug in their algorithm, because on intervals where you pedal constantly, like uphill intervals or indoor workouts, the average power calculation is correct, when you compare it to strava, training peaks or any other analysis tool.
But on an interval where you don't pedal for some time, or on a longer outside ride which, their average always comes out too low.
It is very frustrating, but Wahoo claims there is nothing wrong with it...

robertbb

by robertbb

TribesMan wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:58 am
Yes, this was introduced in an update a month ago.

Added: Calorie calculations from a power source

If you use any kind of power source (power meter or smart trainer) it will equal calories to kJ.
Which is the same way Garmin does it, and it is also more accurate than heart rate based calorie calculation.

The only problem is... Wahoo still does not now how to correctly calculate average power.
They somehow manage to f... it up, and it usually comes 10% too low.
There must be some kind of bug in their algorithm, because on intervals where you pedal constantly, like uphill intervals or indoor workouts, the average power calculation is correct, when you compare it to strava, training peaks or any other analysis tool.
But on an interval where you don't pedal for some time, or on a longer outside ride which, their average always comes out too low.
It is very frustrating, but Wahoo claims there is nothing wrong with it...
Average power is off, or normalised power?

Shrike

by Shrike

No Bolt update yet?

I liked mine when I had it, but I love shiny stuff, so sold it for a Roam to get the colour screen. Loved that, but then sold it on too when I had to quit riding for a bit.

Looked today and there still no new Bolt out. Grudgingly ordered a Garmin 530. Cheaper than Roam and lighter, don't need mapping and the large screen.

Bit miffed I'll have to deal with Garmin's ultra dated setup system (last Garmin I had was a 520 years ago) and not Wahoo's app, which is just superb. But for me it's worth it to have a shiny colour screen to liven up moody grey days on the bike.

If Wahoo updates its Bolt, it'll dominate the segment. Not sure what's taking them so long. Just needs a slight case and screen upgrade. Software doesn't need a huge update, they're doing fine that way.

TribesMan

by TribesMan

robertbb wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:43 am
Only average power is off... Normalized is calculated correctly...
I have tested this over and over again. All training tools and apps report the same normalized power as Wahoo bolt, or wahoo elemnt app on the phone.
But if I compare average power for the same rides, wahoo bolt and ement app always report lower average values.
Only excepiton are the inside trainer rides and outside intervals, where you pedal constantly without pauses...

Especailly telling is comparing hill repeat workouts. The "working" interval average power is spot on, and "resting" interval can be up to 20% lower.
But hey... Wahoo says that is "normal" :noidea:

jever98

by jever98

@Tribesman, I noticed something similar: I have avg watts/lap and %ftp/lap next to each other. Recently I noticed that the % or the average was incorrect, because it didn't align with the ftp that's programmed. The error varied from interval to interval.
----
No longer in the industry

robertbb

by robertbb

TribesMan wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:56 pm
robertbb wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:43 am
Only average power is off... Normalized is calculated correctly...
I have tested this over and over again. All training tools and apps report the same normalized power as Wahoo bolt, or wahoo elemnt app on the phone.
But if I compare average power for the same rides, wahoo bolt and ement app always report lower average values.
Only excepiton are the inside trainer rides and outside intervals, where you pedal constantly without pauses...

Especailly telling is comparing hill repeat workouts. The "working" interval average power is spot on, and "resting" interval can be up to 20% lower.
But hey... Wahoo says that is "normal" :noidea:
Very strange. Thanks for confirming. This is pretty poor but at least their NP is correct (since it is the foundation for other power related metrics).

by Weenie