Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

glepore wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:43 pm
Ritsuke wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:25 am
glepore wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:39 pm
FWIW, my Bolt has started uploading automatically without opening the app...
The app has been doing that since ever. It was just a setting.
Nope. I have it set in the app to auto upload. This feature stopped working for a lot of us a couple months back. Mine has been sporadic, also text and call notifications no longer work.
I'd try reconnecting your device to your phone.
Current: 2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5 | SRAM Red Etap | Edco Umbrial 45 - FFWD F6R Ceramic
Projects: 2021 TT Project | Frame Unknown | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Pro Disc - TriSpoke
Retired: 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook Crit

glepore

by glepore

Multiple attempts-usually what's happened in the past is Apple does a software update, which requires that you forget then re-pair the Bolt. Nada this time. What I suspect, and this is just a guess, is that Apple made some security mods in their last update (ie a red notification in the upper left where the time is when Alexa or some other "listening" app is active) that interferes with these functions.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

drexel75

by drexel75

I've just noticed since the last update that the arrows at the speed section don't correspond to average speed any more. For example today my average speed was sitting at 17.1mph and the arrow was pointing down at 17.6mph and only changed to an up arrow once I got to about 17.9mph. Any ideas?

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

Nope. I have it set in the app to auto upload. This feature stopped working for a lot of us a couple months back. Mine has been sporadic, also text and call notifications no longer work.
Yeah, for me too. I've been waiting for a warranty replacement bike since March so have been exclusively on Zwift using my wifi. Soon as I end the ride it uploads to the strava app on my phone which is just using 4g. Got the new bike, been out twice, and the auto uploading that always used to happen no longer does. I've reinstalled the wahoo and strava apps, unauthorised then reauthorised, still not auto uploading. I have to pair the phone and use history to upload now. It's a first world problem of course, but still irritating. If anyone's found a fix I'd love to hear it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

HenHarrier wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:21 pm
Yeah, for me too. I've been waiting for a warranty replacement bike since March so have been exclusively on Zwift using my wifi. Soon as I end the ride it uploads to the strava app on my phone which is just using 4g. Got the new bike, been out twice, and the auto uploading that always used to happen no longer does. I've reinstalled the wahoo and strava apps, unauthorised then reauthorised, still not auto uploading. I have to pair the phone and use history to upload now. It's a first world problem of course, but still irritating. If anyone's found a fix I'd love to hear it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Have a ticket open with support for this and lack of caller id/texts. Will report back.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Anyone else feel like Wahoo ELEMNT headunits and apps seemingly just getting worse? While the headunits in general work perfectly fine by themselves, connectivity is now as unreliable as Garmin ever was. Constant issues getting activities uploaded to services and downloading of routes, firmware updates and basemap updates. Would not recommend anyone buy a Wahoo headunit today and will be trying a Stages Dash when I can afford one…

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Nope. Mines been fine for three years.
No issues with any of the updates and things you mentioned.

glepore

by glepore

So my notifications issue is resolved. Whereas before unpairing/forgeting/repairing the phone worked, it required a restart of the phone between the unpair and repair this time. Haven't ridden yet to determine whether the autoupload works, although having the app open in the background was less of a big deal for me than the lack of text, as my phone goes off often during a ride and I prefer to ignore non urgent messages but need to be available for urgent ones.
FWIW, the information was on the support page but it needs to be in bold.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Relatively new Bolt user, but haven’t had any of the upload issues, to any of the 3rd party services it connects to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unniti

by Unniti

Anyone else notice Bolt show incorrect wattage in the end of ride screen? I did a 65 minutes at 290 watts yesterday and the post ride screen showed 60 minute power as 277 W.

TribesMan

by TribesMan

Yes! After all these years Wahoo still does not know how to correctly calculate average power!
I have reported this problem a few times to Wahoo, but their response is that this is due to different sampling rate?!?! Complete nonsense.

In my case average power numbers calculated on Wahoo headunit and Wahoo app, are always ~5% lower compared to other apps (Strava, Trainingpeaks, Intervals.icu, Goldencheetah). So for instance if I do a 200W average power and 220W NP ride, Wahoo will say it is ~190W, and if the same .fit file from Wahoo is exported to any other app, I get 200W. Funny enough, normalized power is calculated correctly, and is the same on Wahoo and all mentioned apps that I have tested.
Also I have done another test, I have recorded power data on the same ride using 2 different bike computers (Garmin and Wahoo) and also using an app on my phone.
After the ride I have compared the data from all the devices, and as you would expect, all the average power numbers on all apps and devices other than Wahoo were the same, but Wahoo under reported it by about 5%.

Another even more funny thing, check the kJ in the Wahoo app after the ride. In most cases this number is almost 20% too low.
And thinking about it, I don't know how they manage to screw that one. Because kJ is just average power multiplied by excercise duration...

jever98

by jever98

For a while the kj calculation was broken and showed 2x the kj produced. Wahoo is not very good at QC'ing their software....
----
No longer in the industry

vinny

by vinny

you are right about that. they will fix it eventually, but then introduce another bug latter. still like it though

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Noticed the issue re auto upload after a ride for last few weeks.

Seems to get partway through and then doesn't complete it. Reboot of unit or app seems to solve it ?

Others with this problem, what has been your fix ? Unpair/Re-pair ?

glepore

by glepore

Unniti wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:41 pm
Anyone else notice Bolt show incorrect wattage in the end of ride screen? I did a 65 minutes at 290 watts yesterday and the post ride screen showed 60 minute power as 277 W.
What were you using to measure the 65 minutes at 290? Did you take any breaks? is the setting for avg power in the bolt set to include zeros?

by Weenie