Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

northwestern

by northwestern

TribesMan wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:58 am
Yes, this was introduced in an update a month ago.

Added: Calorie calculations from a power source

If you use any kind of power source (power meter or smart trainer) it will equal calories to kJ.
Which is the same way Garmin does it, and it is also more accurate than heart rate based calorie calculation.
I think it is idiotic to make 2 fields shows the same number. Now I have to use another app on my phone to track calories.

Is there any way around this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

Say what now?

Considering kJ and Calories are different ways of measuring energy (much like Miles and Kilometres both measure distance) and there are 4.2 Kj per Calorie, equating them is dumb.

Which of course is precisely why Garmin does it :lol:

Unniti

by Unniti

northwestern wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:40 am
TribesMan wrote:

If you use any kind of power source (power meter or smart trainer) it will equal calories to kJ.
Which is the same way Garmin does it, and it is also more accurate than heart rate based calorie calculation.
I think it is idiotic to make 2 fields shows the same number. Now I have to use another app on my phone to track calories.

Is there any way around this?
Why do you want HR based calories when it's not and can not be accurate? While power based calories are actually quite accurate.
robertbb wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:44 am
Say what now?

Considering kJ and Calories are different ways of measuring energy (much like Miles and Kilometres both measure distance) and there are 4.2 Kj per Calorie, equating them is dumb.

Which of course is precisely why Garmin does it :lol:
Because the efficiency of humans is about 25%, so while the units are not the same the work done in kJ ends up being really close to the calories spent.

robertbb

by robertbb

Human efficiency is highly variable, of course.

Which makes equating the two ever dumb-er-er :lol:

Unniti

by Unniti

It's not that variable. And still much closer than anything you'd be able to get from HR. Considering people much smarted than both of us in this field have given it considerable though and come to the conclusion that kJ = calories is really close to the reality I'm willing to trust them.

robertbb

by robertbb

Well we can agree that basing it of power is better than HR...

But I don't trust what any company tells me about... well, anything. Let alone a cycling tech company.

Unniti

by Unniti

Neither Garmin or Wahoo or any other company just came up with kJ = calories. There's actual science behind it.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

The GCN show just put out a video on Power meters and talk about the Human Efficiency which they say is 20-25% but yeah he does a segment on burning calories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjuCXvzsVdM
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

jever98

by jever98

+1 on what unniti says. It's way more accurate to take the kj than go by HR. In the past I got ridiculously low cal estimates based on HR, because I have a low HR while riding, due to my physiological profile. I also got tested (power amp test + breathing gases) and whilst my cal / kj was more like 1.15, it was still waay closer than the cal estimate based on HR
----
No longer in the industry

ten22

by ten22

Maybe a noob question but any insight would be appreciated: Why is average/max cadence on Wahoo unit always lower than Strava file. Sometimes average cadence is +10 rpm higher when I review ride on strava. Usually the Strava average/max 'feels' more in line with my rides. The average/max on the headunit just feels lower?

Running s works dual side pm fwiw.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

ten22 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:56 pm
Maybe a noob question but any insight would be appreciated: Why is average/max cadence on Wahoo unit always lower than Strava file. Sometimes average cadence is +10 rpm higher when I review ride on strava. Usually the Strava average/max 'feels' more in line with my rides. The average/max on the headunit just feels lower?
No idea why the max would differ, but average sounds like you have the option to include zeros enabled. Which one normally does for power but not cadence.

ten22

by ten22

MayhemSWE wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:18 pm
ten22 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:56 pm
No idea why the max would differ, but average sounds like you have the option to include zeros enabled. Which one normally does for power but not cadence.
ahh. Just found it. Cheers!

northwestern

by northwestern

TribesMan wrote:

If anyone else has this problem, I started using an app called "FITIV Pulse" to measure calories. It is free and works with my wahoo heart rate monitor.

Post Man Pat

by Post Man Pat

Is anyone runnung one of these with a Power tap G3 hub? my Powertap Joule head unit died last week and I am curious if I'll still be able to get the cadence and speed data from my hub to display on this unit.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

My Wahoo Roam is eating/draining battery at an alarming rate. Can anyone else with a Roam confirm that they are having this issue as well? I can barely do a 5 hour ride, and it is down to almost 5% when I'm done with the ride. It's easily draining 20% battery life per hour of use or idle, which is crazy. My bolt does not have this problem at all, I can do a +10 hour ride and still have close to 20% left. Can anyone help me out? Is it a faulty battery?

This is how I have my Roam setup (which is identicle to my Bolt):

LEDS - Power
Location - Outdoor
Backlight - Off

Sensors (3 of them): Wahoo Speed, Shimano Di2 Bluetooth and Assioma pedals

Version: WR18-7937 (wahoo says this is up to date)
Strava Live segments are enabled.

Thanks
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com