Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dmp

by dmp

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. To clarify, the thing I don't like about the Edge is the contrast of the display in bright sunlight. I find that the display is washed out and it is hard to read. I am hoping that the contrast of the Bolt (or perhaps the Edge 520??) is an improvement. It looks like it is in photos, but I'm not sure that is what it really looks like out on the road.
I don't have a problem with the resolution or size of the display (well, not since I bought a pair of Dual sunglasses with a little bifocal lens at the bottom- highly recommended if you are presbyopic like me!).

moonoi

by moonoi

The bolt is far better than the 500/520 in direct sunlight, much easier to read.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

I cannot speek for the recent Garmin models, but comparing to 820 (I guess 520 is the same), Bolt display is significantly better in every light conditions. There is no reason to use backlight at all. When you fire up both computers next to each other you can see how blurry Garmin display is compared to Bolt. The greater the angle the more visible it becomes.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

jever98 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:47 am
If you are concerned about the font size, the Elemnt is basically the same unit, but bigger. I use the Elemnt and like it.
I've had both and at least for my particular units there was a significant difference in contrast between the Bolt and the full-size ELEMNT, where the Bolt was much better.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:37 am
MayhemSWE wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:31 pm
Since a few weeks ago my ELEMNT Bolt has apparantly decided to no longer do automatic uploads. None of the credentials to my WiFi or Strava et al have changed and according to the companion app the unit can connect to the network. I thought I had got past this type of bullshit after leaving Garmin behind. So frustrating…
All the time?

I've had a couple of occasions recently where it did not auto uploads. Went in to the app, deleted and re-sync. Worked then.
Yes, no auto uploads at all. If I open the companion app it begins transfering rides by Bluetooth and then up to the various sites, but the Bolt itself won't auto-upload.

moonoi

by moonoi

MayhemSWE wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:00 am
Tinea Pedis wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:37 am
MayhemSWE wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:31 pm
Since a few weeks ago my ELEMNT Bolt has apparantly decided to no longer do automatic uploads. None of the credentials to my WiFi or Strava et al have changed and according to the companion app the unit can connect to the network. I thought I had got past this type of bullshit after leaving Garmin behind. So frustrating…
All the time?

I've had a couple of occasions recently where it did not auto uploads. Went in to the app, deleted and re-sync. Worked then.
Yes, no auto uploads at all. If I open the companion app it begins transfering rides by Bluetooth and then up to the various sites, but the Bolt itself won't auto-upload.
Probably the Wifi access point settings/password need to be reconfigured via the Elemnt companion app, so it can connect to your wifi router again...I had to do that with mine even though nothing had changed (in terms of wifi username/password), after the bolt had a firmware update

EDIT: Just to clarify, I meant that I had the same problem in that it was configured and said it was connecting via the app, but didn't upload until I deleted the configured access point and then set it up again.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Also check your Wifi channel. Bolt only uploads within a specific range. Which - of course - my router did not default to, so I had to set the channel.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:42 pm
Also check your Wifi channel. Bolt only uploads within a specific range. Which - of course - my router did not default to, so I had to set the channel.
Huh? Mine uploads fine over WiFi -- never knew there was a channel setting on the device itself.

Uploads over Bluetooth thru my phone (like if I'm in the car or something) are absolutely nightmarish slow.... like enough to make me throw the BOLT out the window.

Woland

by Woland

I'm about to buy the two bolt out front mount and apparently it doesn't come with mounting screws. Can anyone advice on the right screws to install the mount on Canyon H31 Ergocockpit?

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Woland wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:45 pm
I'm about to buy the two bolt out front mount and apparently it doesn't come with mounting screws. Can anyone advice on the right screws to install the mount on Canyon H31 Ergocockpit?
Just standard M4 screws, length I suppose will depend on the thickness of the mount itself. Didn't know Wahoo actually made their own mount so bought a Rec-Mounts CNC'd aluminium mount instead.

Woland

by Woland

MayhemSWE wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:14 pm
Woland wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:45 pm
Just standard M4 screws, length I suppose will depend on the thickness of the mount itself. Didn't know Wahoo actually made their own mount so bought a Rec-Mounts CNC'd aluminium mount instead.
Tack så mycket! Hadn't see that thread.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Has anyone seens this kind of adapter for Bolt:
http://s.aliexpress.com/BvMzeMbY ?

Or can I mod that to fit? I'd stick it to a phone case and use it while doing indoor workouts.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

rawjunk wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:23 am
Has anyone seens this kind of adapter for Bolt:
http://s.aliexpress.com/BvMzeMbY ?
As Wahoo have released their source files you could easily 3D print such a part.
https://github.com/wahoofitness/ELEMNT-Mount

ODC

by ODC

So I had some problems with my Garmin 1030 in combination with my S-works powermeter. Tried the Wahoo elemnt bolt version from a friend and haven't got any problems with this model.
What I really like about it are the buttons. The touch screen is a pain in the ass when it's raining.
Now that I'm gonna make the switch from Garmin to Wahoo I'm in doubt which one is better the Elemnt or Elemnt BOLT.
Why the doubt? When trying my friends Elemnt Bolt it was strange to use a small size screen again.
Most important questions are:
- which model has the better screen
- which model has the better battery life
- are there huge differences between the models?

Thanks in advance for you're answers everyone :D

guyc

by guyc

I went from a 1000 to a Bolt and haven't ever missed the bigger screen. It's been flawless and I'd make the same move tomorow.

The Elemnt isn't the best looking and looks clunky IMO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com