Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

AZR3

by AZR3

Update on avg power/cadence issue with Assioma
So yesterday I went out and saved the ride per usual and once again avg power/cadence were way off.
Avg power in wahoo app showed 157w vs Strava/GC using Bolt file showing 220w
Avg cadence in wahoo app showed 58rpm vs Strava/GC using Bolt file showing 89rpm

Today I went out and at the end of the ride I didn’t save the ride I just shut off the Bolt then powered it back on. As it powered up it showed “Recovering Ride” then after that I ended and saved the ride as usual. After doing that both avg power/cadence showed correctly!
Avg power in Wahoo app showed 208w and Strava/GC matched it as both did for cadence as well.

I’m emailing Wahoo about my findings but would also like to see if the same process shows similar results for other Assioma/Bolt users.

I don’t think the issue with avg power being displayed correctly during a ride is fixed but I’ll add that field back and see what it shows tomorrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

Just tested, I have the same with the average cadence. It's not a statistic I'm usually interested in so never noticed it until now.

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

Copy-paste from Wahoo feedback in the comments section of DC Rainmaker's review of the Bolt:

Favero Assioma Update

Just a quick update, we have found the source of the error and working with Favero on a solution. Basically the clock on the power meter runs about 30% slower than “real time” and our average calculations using the accumulated torque couldn’t handle this sort of difference. We hope to be able to handle this clock error in the ELEMNT and not require any firmware updates from Favero, once we have done our validation we will ship a bug fix release.

AZR3

by AZR3

Thanks for the update

Wahoo got back with me and want to setup my Bolt to record a “higher level of logging” to help get this issue resolved. Im waiting on instructions of how to set that up.
I’ll keep this thread updated with any info I get.

Woland

by Woland

Is anyone else having problems with Watts/FTP, Avg/FTP, IF and TSS calculations during a ride? The Bolt seems to think that my FTP is 190W, which is way off and has never been set at that figure in the companion app so I don't understand where it's coming from.

My Avg W and NP are displaying correctly.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Woland wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:01 am
Is anyone else having problems with Watts/FTP, Avg/FTP, IF and TSS calculations during a ride? The Bolt seems to think that my FTP is 190W, which is way off and has never been set at that figure in the companion app so I don't understand where it's coming from.

Not here. My BOLT and Android companion app are up-to-date. I run a "climbing" screen of 3sec AP, 20sec AP, and w/kg. (those are my only three fields on longer climbs of 30+ minutes) Yesterday, I did about 8k feet of climbing, and never had an issue with the data or refresh rates. FWIW, my PM is a quarq dzero.

glepore

by glepore

Woland wrote:

This is a known bug, which has been around since the begining. It appears to be low on Wahoo's priority to fix.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

yltman

by yltman

glepore wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:25 pm
Woland wrote:

This is a known bug, which has been around since the begining. It appears to be low on Wahoo's priority to fix.
I fixed this issue with ftp test done with bolt, have no idea why it was calculated wrong before (when I set my ftp in mobile app)

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Ugh... went for a nice long ride today. When I got home, I plugged my Bolt in to charge it back up. Just before bed, I unplugged the Bolt to bring it downstairs to put on my bike so it'd be ready for a ride this morning and as I turned it into the mount I thought, "That feels weird. It feels loose." I turned the bolt back to take it out and a small piece of plastic falls out as I lift the bolt up. I busted one of the ears right off the mount. UGH! Anyone done this on a Bolt yet? any thoughts? I'm still within the 1 year period of when I bought it. I'm gonna give Wahoo a call today to see what they say. Hoping I can find a solution, I have a race this coming weekend.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Rubber band ;)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

commendatore

by commendatore

How about just installing the UCI fixing bolt for now?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

commendatore wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:04 pm
How about just installing the UCI fixing bolt for now?
That should do the trick on my road bike, but not on the TT mount, which is the race I have this weekend. I just checked and it still seems pretty secure in the TT mount, so I mght be able to still use it until I can figure out something else.

glepore

by glepore

Read on another forum somewhere that wahoo will send you a case back with instructions in this event. For the tt I'd wrap a zip tie around it as a failsafe.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

glepore wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:25 pm
Woland wrote:

As an aside to this, I had a play with displaying TSS on one of my pages to see if mine has the bug - no issue. Mate had the problem but if you ensure you save your FTP in the app (and it can be a little confusing, seems like you have saved it when you in fact have not) and - for me at least - the TSS works fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

glepore wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:38 pm
Read on another forum somewhere that wahoo will send you a case back with instructions in this event. For the tt I'd wrap a zip tie around it as a failsafe.
I saw that on some forums, but I think that's in reference to the larger Elemnt. I called Wahoo yesterday and they are exchanging me for a new Bolt, as mine is still under the 1 year warranty. I'm sending it in tomorrow and I've arranged to borrow a mate's Garmin 820 for the next few weeks until the new Bolt gets here. It's weird looking down at the Garmin and god the setup process seemed evn more awful now that I'm fully used to the Wahoo way of life. The worst part is, I had to put the stupid Garmin Connect app, back on my phone.