Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

People were not holding off moving to Wahoo because it lacked Varia support. They moved because they were sick of being treated like crap by Garmin, accepting that support for stuff like this might not ever happen. It's now a sales upsell, not making up a sales shortfall. Look at this very thread and how Garmin is spoken of if you need any more support on this.

guyc

by guyc

Yeah, they were. Go and have a look at the Elemnt Roam comments on DR Rainmaker. There are a lot of people who held off moving because of what was a lack of support for an open protocol. The fact that Wahoo got support for this out so quickly after their CEO joined that thread speaks volumes. It's good that they have.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

You're aware this is a Wahoo Bolt thread, right?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

guyc wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:17 am
Yeah, they were. Go and have a look at the Elemnt Roam comments on DR Rainmaker. There are a lot of people who held off moving because of what was a lack of support for an open protocol. The fact that Wahoo got support for this out so quickly after their CEO joined that thread speaks volumes. It's good that they have.

People who read DCR are a very small subset of Wahoo’s customer base. ANT+ radar was clearly not important enough to make the original launch date, and it remains of such little importance that it’s not mentioned on the box, instruction manual or Wahoo’s product pages. This isn’t anyone’s fault...ANT+ radar is a very niche purchase requirement as evidenced by only one company even making such an accessory.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Is it possible that you are both right? that there are lots of people that were just so fed up with Garmin that they switched to Wahoo, no matter what that meant in terms of giving up the use of other Garmin accessories..... Is it also possible that there are lots of people that had a Varia and loved the comfort and security it provided and when they found out that the Varia would not work, they stopped right there and stuck with Varia.

Personally, I think that Wahoo wanted to bring some sort of radar style device to market themselves, but perhaps there was something that garmin has done that is protected by patents and after doing some research there was just no way to do that without infringing... so Wahoo just decided to bite the bullet and support the Garmin product. I wonder if there's also some sort of fee associated with Wahoo using this because it doesn't seem like it is simply an open source Ant+ langugage..... because all of the normal ant+ language devices have worked across brand lines i.e. the speed/cadence and HR sensors..... the varia was different.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:51 am
ANT+ radar is not proprietary.
Interesting... I wasn't so much saying that is was, but more just throwing out ideas on why it might have taken so long for Wahoo to support it. I always assumed that Garmin was preventing Wahoo from using the Varia, but it seems that Wahoo was just failing to offer support for it.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:19 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Interesting... I wasn't so much saying that is was
That's actually exactly what you were saying.
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:44 am
but perhaps there was something that garmin has done that is protected by patents and after doing some research there was just no way to do that without infringing... so Wahoo just decided to bite the bullet and support the Garmin product. I wonder if there's also some sort of fee associated with Wahoo using this because it doesn't seem like it is simply an open source Ant+ langugage..... because all of the normal ant+ language devices have worked across brand lines i.e. the speed/cadence and HR sensors..... the varia was different.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

right... but what I was trying to say was maybe that was the case.... the article Tobin posted, informed me other wise... see the "I wonder" part?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MarkTwain wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:00 pm

Who cares? Now he knows.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

TobinHatesYou wrote:
ANT+ is not proprietary, but it also isn't published from what I've seen. https://groups.google.com/d/msg/wahoo-e ... U8AwXvBAAJ THey seem to keep a lot of stuff in "Early Release" https://www.thisisant.com/forum/viewthread/6936
On the outside of the login-wall, it looks like they only have these protocals availible. https://www.thisisant.com/developer/ant ... e-profiles

Any German have a RTL511 they want to sell me? If someone wants to buy new, I can sell them a RTL510 .

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:09 am
MarkTwain wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:00 pm

Who cares? Now he knows.
I cared. Now you know.

kkotsiouros

by kkotsiouros

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:34 am

Any German have a RTL511 they want to sell me? If someone wants to buy new, I can sell them a RTL510 .
Why you prefer 511 than 510? The 511 not blink when car is approaching (Only 7 lumen solid mode)

jfranci3

by jfranci3

kkotsiouros wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:04 am
jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:34 am

Why you prefer 511 than 510? The 511 not blink when car is approaching (Only 7 lumen solid mode)
Exactly. I'm not a fan of the blink-on-approach at all. I usually run my rear light at 5lm anyway. Most smaller USB lights have a high lm number, than they descretely drop to a lower one if you haven't noticed (my Bontrager Flare RT for example). You're not going to overpower a rising/setting sun, so 7lm is fine as long as it is an intense, concentrated LED on a background with a boarder. 7lm is as good at 100lm in the be-seen role, without giving those behind you a problem seeing past you in the dark.

northwestern

by northwestern

Has anyone had any issues with operating the front buttons while their hands were really wet/sweaty?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com