Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bilwit

by bilwit

bomber wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:38 pm
bilwit wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:23 pm
That sucks. ANT+ is terrible indoors on the trainer, always drops which is a nightmare when you're doing intervals and it just stays at the same power forever... Had to switch to power source to the trainer and effectively not use my PM at all except for cadence on the head unit :x
Spend $10 on a USB extension cord and ANT+ dongle. I've never had a single drop out with that setup.
Not sure what you mean, I have a bluetooth dongle on my PC (I started with an ANT+ dongle but the problem was 2x as bad when it was ANT+ to KICKR than it is now with just ANT+ to the PM). There's definitely a lot of interference going on that's messing with ANT+ with my indoor setup (never had an issue with it on the road).

glepore

by glepore

So, after 18 months I finally had a mid ride lockup, nothing responded to touch, including power button. The reboot proceedure is simple, hold down power and up and down buttons together for 10 seconds or more, and voila, a reboot.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Anyone else having problems transfering routes from the phone app to an ELEMNT? After selecting a route I get a progress bar but when it completes the route just disappears.

Syncing over Wifi against Strava/RWGPS works but isn't always practical. Also it seems the unit is unable to detect when routes have been changed on Strava so it never downloads an updated version… :?

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

When you’re syncing routes created on your phone (ie “take me to”) the Bolt needs to be connected to the phone at the time. Routes created on Strava only need WiFi.

torob

by torob

Any updates on Wahoo's existing statement that they had no plans to add Garmin Varia radar compatibility?
Using Tapatalk

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Since a few weeks ago my ELEMNT Bolt has apparantly decided to no longer do automatic uploads. None of the credentials to my WiFi or Strava et al have changed and according to the companion app the unit can connect to the network. I thought I had got past this type of bullshit after leaving Garmin behind. So frustrating…

glepore

by glepore

Sometimes IOS updates require you to forget and re-pair the element. Try that.

As to Varia, why would Garmin allow a competitor to access their source code?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

glepore wrote:As to Varia, why would Garmin allow a competitor to access their source code?
Garmin doesn't need to show anyone its source code. Garmin just needs to publish the interface/protocol for others to use (which is probably what they've already done).
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

glepore

by glepore

LiquidCooled wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:34 am
glepore wrote:As to Varia, why would Garmin allow a competitor to access their source code?
Garmin doesn't need to show anyone its source code. Garmin just needs to publish the interface/protocol for others to use (which is probably what they've already done).
Yes, agreed. I've been unable to find any device (non garmin) however that is varia compatible.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

MayhemSWE wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:31 pm
Since a few weeks ago my ELEMNT Bolt has apparantly decided to no longer do automatic uploads. None of the credentials to my WiFi or Strava et al have changed and according to the companion app the unit can connect to the network. I thought I had got past this type of bullshit after leaving Garmin behind. So frustrating…
All the time?

I've had a couple of occasions recently where it did not auto uploads. Went in to the app, deleted and re-sync. Worked then.

dmp

by dmp

A question for those of you who have used both the Bolt and the Garmin Edge 500-
I've been thinking about replacing my Edge with a Bolt. One of my biggest complaints about the Edge is that the display is often difficult to read in bright sunlight. Is the contrast and visibility of the Bolt screen substantially better?

kytyree

by kytyree

I never used the 500, without the backlight I find the 520+ slightly better than the Bolt. I've always tried not to use the backlight to save battery whatever I was using. I would keep the Bolt set to 5sec backlight IIRC, the light was really only necessary indoors if I was using it while on the trainer. I don't think I've ever had any issue reading the Bolt, granted I've got pretty good eyes for an oldish fart.

yinya

by yinya

Depends on how many data fields are important for you but if you zoom to two, they are rather difficult not to read. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jever98

by jever98

+1 on the readability of the monochrome display. I find it very readable. If you are concerned about the font size, the Elemnt is basically the same unit, but bigger. I use the Elemnt and like it.
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Need reading glasses at home but don't bike with them, bolt is fine for me, even with zoom out to 9 fields. Generally do more like 7.