Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

saldegracia

by saldegracia

simbikotic wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:29 am
I recently got a bolt and today had a strange issue where the ride was saved with the wrong date. (May 1st, instead of May 8th). Has anyone else encountered this? I wondered if it was because I did not pair with my phone before the ride. But it seems crazy that it would need to talk to the phone to retrieve a correct date. It contains a GPS receiver and GPS satellites report just about the most accurate timestamp it's possible to get. Very strange bug.
Never had anything like that happen to me. I connect it to the phone after each ride to upload the data to Strava but I don't usually do so before rides, only if I want to load a new route onto the unit. Actually in the 4 years or so I have owned it the Wahoo hasn't failed me a single time, no erroneous GPS readings, no hang-ups, nothing...pretty impressive for an electonic device these days...
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

TribesMan

by TribesMan

I only had one "issue" with my Bolt in last 3+ years of use (around 40.000km ridden).
During a really long coffee stop (2+ hours) the Bolt froze.
But all it took was a restart. During a restart it recovered the ride data, and I continued like nothing had happened.

There were some problems with iPhohe app not syncing after updates, but that was sorted after a few weeks, and I really don't have anything to complain about.
Battery life is decent, screen has good visibility, UI is simple, easy to control even with gloves...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

I'm having issues syncing rides from the Bolt to the companion app via Bluetooth on iPhone. It seems to be fine on Wifi. The app is connecting to the Bolt, but the rides aren't syncing. On the History page, it shows "Searching for Elemnt" at the top, but seems to stop there.

It was working really well a couple of weeks ago, now having issues. I tried unpairing and re-pairing, also tried deleting the app and starting again. Restarts aplenty (Bolt and iPhone). After deleting the app and re-installing, it did sync a bunch of rides, but the last ride synced to the app was from February.

Has anyone had this issue and was able to fix it? Thanks

saldegracia

by saldegracia

I've had occasional connection issues on Android in the past few weeks but it always works when I close the app, turn airplane mode on and off, and then restart the app.
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Same here Schadenfreude, but I have been too lazy to really look into it.

glepore

by glepore

Schadenfreude wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:08 am
I'm having issues syncing rides from the Bolt to the companion app via Bluetooth on iPhone. It seems to be fine on Wifi. The app is connecting to the Bolt, but the rides aren't syncing. On the History page, it shows "Searching for Elemnt" at the top, but seems to stop there.

It was working really well a couple of weeks ago, now having issues. I tried unpairing and re-pairing, also tried deleting the app and starting again. Restarts aplenty (Bolt and iPhone). After deleting the app and re-installing, it did sync a bunch of rides, but the last ride synced to the app was from February.

Has anyone had this issue and was able to fix it? Thanks
This happens when Apple updates something pretty often.
Not sure why it only syncd til Feb.
The dance I do when it really sticks is:
1)Forget Bolt from phone,forget phone from Bolt. Turn Bolt off.
2) turn bt off
3) Delete app
4) Restart phone.
5)Reload app
6) Reinstall Bolt.

This works 95% of the time. Sometimes all you need to do is delete bolt and then restart phone, but not always.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

saldegracia wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:54 am
I've had occasional connection issues on Android in the past few weeks but it always works when I close the app, turn airplane mode on and off, and then restart the app.
Thanks, I tried this, but it didn't help unfortunately.
Sjoerd wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:10 am
Same here Schadenfreude, but I have been too lazy to really look into it.
glepore wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:03 pm
This happens when Apple updates something pretty often.
Thanks, it's good to know it's not just me. The annoying thing is, there was a period of 4-6 weeks that my rides were finally syncing with the app and uploading to Strava 95% of the time without me having to do something to kick it along.
glepore wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:03 pm
Not sure why it only syncd til Feb.
Did the dance again (unpair, delete app, reinstall, re-pair) and the rides synced to the app up to a couple of weeks ago, but wouldn't sync more recent rides by Bluetooth. It all synced up by Wifi when I got home though. Hopefully it's something that will just be resolved soon. Bluetooth connection seems fine - the app recognises the Bolt for settings and I was even getting notifications on my Bolt, it just won't sync rides :noidea:

glepore

by glepore

Yes, it works for a bit then Apple does something with its security settings or whatnot. Wahoo isn't a big enough player to get advance word, so their guys play catch up. It is a major annoyance, but they always eventually fix it.
Its not enough to get me off the platform. I really like how robust the device is otherwise.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

Sigh, I had to coax it to sync rides over wifi yesterday. It really seems to be struggling with it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jever98

by jever98

I have been unable to get it to upload via wifi to strava. No idea why it's not working anymore for a while now
----
No longer in the industry

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

So I think I've managed to fix my issue with rides not syncing with the app. My theory is, there was a "stuck" update that the Bolt was waiting for, but wasn't downloading, and there was no notification for it in the app. I fixed it in the usual way:

1. Unpair Bolt from app.
2. Forget phone in Bolt
3. In iOS settings, forget the Bolt's Bluetooth connection.
4. Toggled Bluetooth off for 10 seconds, then on again.
5. Deleted app from phone.
6. Restarted the phone
7. Installed app again
8. Paired the Bolt to the app
9. Did the configuration the app normally prompts for after pairing (wait for iOS prompt to allow Bluetooth connection, etc), but did not authorise any third party apps
10. At this point I looked at the settings page and the app indicated that the Bolt was updating it's firmware. I hadn't done anything to prompt this. Hence why I think there was a "stuck" update.
11. After the Bolt was updated and when through it's rebooting process, I waited for all rides to sync in the History page. Yesterday's ride that previously didn't sync was included.
12. Once everything looked good, I authorised Strava and RideWithGPS.

This morning's ride uploaded via Bluetooth :beerchug: but I did have to go to the History page in the app for it happen. I'll wait to see if it uploads by itself next time.

BTW, I did raise a support ticket with Wahoo yesteday (before doing the above) and their response was they're aware of the issue and are working on a fix. It did seem like a templated response though.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

My Elemnt started synching this weekend after an outdoor ride. I always turn off GPS when riding indoors and I did a lot of indoor riding lately. I haven't tested anything, my claims are not scientific but I thought I'd let you know.

Dronfield

by Dronfield

glepore wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 2:34 am
Yes, it works for a bit then Apple does something with its security settings or whatnot. Wahoo isn't a big enough player to get advance word, so their guys play catch up. It is a major annoyance, but they always eventually fix it.
Its not enough to get me off the platform. I really like how robust the device is otherwise.
It looks like this has now happened, I had an app update for my iPhone last night, seems to have fixed the issue I was having with rides not syncing to the app.

HolyDiver

by HolyDiver

Hello,
Did anyone perfrom a field destroy of the Bolt for Wahoo?
What kind of pictures they will accept as proof of perfromed field destroy?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

HolyDiver wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:48 pm
Hello,
Did anyone perfrom a field destroy of the Bolt for Wahoo?
What kind of pictures they will accept as proof of perfromed field destroy?
WTF is a field destroy!? Sounds like something the Police may want a picture of......