Giro Empire SLX durability, experiences?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kytyree

by kytyree

I did find them very comfortable, and they're light. But no question to me their shoes don't anywhere near as long as a pair of sidi's. That's based on using the VR90 on my mtb as well, which I still do because I do like the fit, but I'm also on my second pair of VR90's. The first pair after a season or so the heel started breaking down.

My backup road shoe is a 10 year old pair of sidi's that were once the "lux" color but are now mostly off white.

I picked up the sworks 7 to replace the slx, the fit on these is amazing.

kgt

by kgt

I don't think that Fizik shoes are made in Italy but besides the preferences, the fit, the weight etc. when a made in China shoe costs as much as a made in Italy one that only means that their profit margin is huge.
300 euros for made in China? No, thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IchDien

by IchDien

To be fair I only paid €170 for my Giro Empires. I once paid €350 for some SIDIs (which have their HQ only 20km away from me and therefore should deserve some campanilismo) and sold them after two weeks because they were awful.

kytyree

by kytyree

Yep, I paid about 50% msrp for my SLX

Orbital

by Orbital

Is there a difference between the SLX soles and the ACC soles? I love my ACCs. The Easton soles are fine, pretty rough looking after a few years use and commuting.

kgt

by kgt

A price of 170 euros makes sense. I guess that's why you see them so often on sale.

kytyree

by kytyree

Oddly enough I had just the day before convinced myself that I didn’t need new shoes and was only looking at them because I wanted new ones, not because I had any need for shoes. The slx were comfortable and I’d get new ones when they wore out. Next ride I decided to check my cleats and there it was. I thought my arch on that side was a little sore because I don’t usually unclip it when I stop in traffic...

The sworks 7 is also comfortable but the stiffer sole feels so much better out of the saddle.