Maui, Riding Vacation

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Thanks for the info. Been searching Strava but not really any success in getting a he correct route.

boots2000

by boots2000

Take the road by the old sugar plant Hansen?
Then take a right at the road for the dump- Pulehu?

boots2000 wrote:Highway to the bike path at north side of Kihei, then bike path- the you can get up Haleakala a couple ways,
My favorite is doing the Pulehu Rd climb 1st-

chazmtb wrote:I'll be staying in Wailea. There is no real straight shot up to Haleakala is there.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Yup.

chazmtb

by chazmtb

I see there is a "because it's there"segment cutting from Wailea to Kula hwy. pretty steep climbs at the onset. Anyone tried that.

boots2000

by boots2000

Maybe an old sugar cane road (on private property)- not a paved climb.
In my experience these things don't go through.
There is one off the bike path that looks like it is a back way over to Haleakala Highway- It runs into a cement company. On both sides.

chazmtb wrote:I see there is a "because it's there"segment cutting from Wailea to Kula hwy. pretty steep climbs at the onset. Anyone tried that.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

You must be talking about the private dirt road. If you're sitting at a left window on the plane you get a good view of it on the way in. I hear it's pretty loose so better on a MTB than a cross or gravel bike. It's not like there's a house in there to disturb but you may run into an angry employee of the land owning company. I get the impression that name is fitting. It's there so people try it but it sucks so they don't do it again. Hot, dusty, not do-able on a bike that makes finishing a loop on pavement fun.

OJ

by OJ

I may have ventured into there a little. You have to hop a sizable fence and at that point you give up any excuse of "I didn't know I was trespassing". There are truck tire tracks on the dirt and I would say that a CX bike should clear it. It will be steep at least in places, so you would need easy gearing. After driving the east loop, I would prefer a gravel or cross bike for the loop as the backside would be pretty miserable on a road bike.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;