Chinese knock off helmets

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spookyload

by spookyload

Was shopping for an evade for some races this year. Saw a Red Bull Evade on ebay and was curious since Specialized doesn't make one like this. Super cheap, and you guessed it, direct from China. Now say what you will about their wheels and frames, but copied helmets just seems like a bad idea. No two ways around it. I couldn't tell if they had put any of the testing complied with stickers on the inside, but I am sure they would for the right price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Run

mattr

by mattr

No, don't. Walk.

If you fall over wearing a knock off helmet it'll explode.

LouisN

by LouisN

:lol:

Louis :)

Attermann

by Attermann

a red bull version of the evade do exist :)

Marin

by Marin

Come on, it's just styrofoam

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Seroiusly. So there is likely no testing on these helmets which should be a huge concern. But other than mips or other types of stuff if the helmet was produced using the proper foam/process is there really a big difference from other products?

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

I'd expect that many/most of the helmets are made in Asia/China, and the safety regulation compliance stickers are stuck on there too. Given that there are open mold frames, I'm not too surprised if it's a similar situation with the helmets. I tend to think it's more of a reputation thing: if helmets from a reputable company keeps failing, then they would be concerned and do something about it (e.g. improve QC testing). On the other hand, I suspect, depending on the open mold companies, they might be less concerned about their reputation, depending on lower price to draw in customers.

There are a couple of Kickstarter companies that have their smart helmets made in China, and one of them IIRC looks like the Evade. You can tell they are made in China because some backers complain their helmets have been stuck in China for a while based on the package tracking. I believe the helmets have met the safety requirements, but I don't know if/how much QC the Kickstarter companies handle themselves.

mattr

by mattr

Problem with knock offs/fakes/replicas/whatever is you don't know what they've done to the process parameters. The variety in grades/densities/etc can be marked, just be turning a dial down a couple of points to speed the process up.

They might not even have the cage inside the foam structure. Just bits of rod to hold the straps.

mattr

by mattr

Marin wrote:Come on, it's just styrofoam
Pretty much. And even the most fantastic 400 dollar helmet provides only very very marginal protection. So i'd prefer not to spend money on something that provides (potentially) none at all.......

spartan

by spartan

they make red bull version of the kask protone..saw it on ebay ouch..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KASK-Protone-Sk ... rkt%3D1%26
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

spookyload

by spookyload

Attermann wrote:a red bull version of the evade do exist :)

I know they made one for Gwen Jorgenson, but I didn't know it was actually produced.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

My concern is that I would be breaking the law not wearing an Australian certified helmet here. That being the case if I was injured I would possibly not be covered by my or the relevant road authority's insurance or compensation funds. To be it is absolutely NOT worth the risk.

SM
BB

Coffee & carbon

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

spookyload wrote:
Attermann wrote:a red bull version of the evade do exist :)

I know they made one for Gwen Jorgenson, but I didn't know it was actually produced.

It was. Just impossible to get for us mortals lol.
Using Tapatalk

Attermann

by Attermann

Simon Andreassen has a evade and a prevail in red bull edition, but i don't Think we get one us normal people :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com