Shimano RC7 Road Shoes?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

boysa

by boysa

Anyone have experience with these? I am in need of some new shoes, and while I was trying to decide between the RC9 and the Lake 402, it seems I can get a pretty decent deal on the RC7. In truth, I want the Lake but since I have to order them online, and due to my current location, I don't feel like dealing with the hassle should I (inevitably) order the wrong size.

For reference, I'm currently using the Shimano SH 321, so with Shimano I'd at least know the correct sizing.

Thanks!!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

kkibbler

by kkibbler

IIRC the RC7 sole and last are identical to previous mid-range shoes e.g. R170/171 and if you've tried those before you went with 321, you should have a good idea how they'll fit. RC9 have a different sole and last but IMO compare favorably to my R170, cleat nut problems aside. Can't comment on the heat moldable models as I've not tried them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I've never tried the R171. As for the heat molding, I don't think it's entirely necessary. When I bought the 321's I swore I was going to mold them, but frankly they fit so good I never bothered.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Boysa, did you end up buying the RC7? If so, how did it compare to the R321?

Thanks.

boysa

by boysa

Hey... actually I did not. Still wearing the same pair of R321's. They are beat to hell, but I'm hoping to squeeze another two months out of them. We're going to be relocating this fall and have a long (3 month) vacation planned, so I figure I'll look to break a new pair of shoes in early next year. Might give me a chance to locate a shop carrying Lake and finally get a pair on my feet to see how they feel.

Sorry not to be more help.

Fiery

by Fiery

I haven't ridden either RC7 nor R321, but I have tried them back to back in a shop recently. For me at least, they did not fit the same at all, didn't feel like the had the same last. R321 in size 43 are one of the best fitting shoes I've tried, on the shop floor for at least; with RC7 I had to go up to size 44 and they still weren't that comfortable, the toe box was not right for my foot. Take with a grain of salt, but I would not recommend buying RC7 based just on how previous Shimano models fit you.
Last edited by Fiery on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I've only used an older pair of Shimano road shoes and the more current XC-61 MTB shoe. I have tall arches, wider forefoot, and fit perfect in a Nike/Mizuno 10.5 US running shoe. I ordered 44EU, which is an 11US. Relative to Specialized's shoes, I do not need an insert in the shimano shoe. The heel is great, but the forefoot I felt was narrow relative to most other shoes. I'd try a W size next time.
They've been great for 3(?) seasons - much better than the other shoes which broke clicker belts or lost sole bits. I don't know if Shimano uses that hood interior fabric, but if you wear short socks, it maybe too aggressive.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

jfranci3 wrote:I don't know if Shimano uses that hood interior fabric, but if you wear short socks, it maybe too aggressive.

Are you talking about the bi-directional grippy "cats-tongue" fabric that they have used in the heels on some shoes to reduce heel slip?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Yeah

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Personally, I haven't used them, but I purchased a set for my wife. She appreciates the wide widths, and hasn't had any hotspots on her feet, which she used to get with narrower shoes. My impression is that the quality is very good, and the shoes are relatively light (size 40), compared to her previous shoes (mainly Bontrager RL's).

KB

by KB

Cycling Plus magazine in the UK (Aug 2017) have just done a Road Test on 16 shoes and the RC7 was voted the best on test.

toshi

by toshi

Fiery wrote:I haven't ridden either RC7 nor R321, but I have tried them back to back in a shop recently. For me at least, they did not fit the same at all, didn't feel like the had the same last. R321 in size 43 are one of the best fitting shoes I've tried, on the shop floor for at least; with RC7 I had to go up to size 44 and they still weren't that comfortable, the toe box was not right for my foot. Take with a grain of salt, but I would not recommend buying RC7 based just on how previous Shimano models fit you.

Yup the RC7 last is very different from the 321 — toebox is much narrower, almost a carbon copy of the 2010-2014 Specialized S-Works. Narrower and lower volume. I'm on normal R321s but would probably need wide in RC7s.

boysa

by boysa

That sounds problematic. The 321's fit me great, but if the RC7s are narrower they would be tight. I'd also expect the wide models to therefore be too wide. I don't know.

I'm guessing the RC9 is similar in fit to the RC7 then?

Thenuge

by Thenuge

I wear RC7's now. I like them. Seem pretty stiff. May try the RC9's soon to see how much. Enter theyvare if at all.

jo.k

by jo.k

I can confirm that the RC9 is not as wide as the 321 ... unfortunately. I had to size up .5 and still didn't get along with these, ended up going back to my torn and shredded 321s until I came across a pair of Bont Vaypor S in wide that ended up being the best pair of cycling shoes I've tried (for whatever reason these don't come into Europe in the wide variety, I think?).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com