2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

thePrince

by thePrince

I have a "anyone but Sky" mentality when I watch grand tours, partially because of the TUE/testosterone follies (I know, I know everyone is doing it...), but partially because the Sky train sucks the excitement out of most races.

Watching Sagan in the Worlds, sure he has won two years in a row, but both were incredible. The attack in 2015 and a perfectly timed sprint in 2016. Winning the race two completely different ways.

So I can't bring myself to "anyone but Sagan" because he's so entertaining. But would be happy to see someone else win too...

by Weenie

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I'd love to see another duel between Sagan and Kwiato. MK's been a beast this season and if he somehow manages to carry his form all the way to the worlds, he's a sure shot. Sagan on the other hand, even in great shape, experiences 'those days'. of course being a double champion takes the pressure off - but still he has no team to count on and all 'wannabes' marking his every move.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

allegedly Raimondas Rumsas (dude who out of nowhere went on to 3rd overall in Tdf circa 2000) doped his own son to death...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rumsas-under-investigation-into-sons-death/

reading stories like that make me wonder how much riders on big teams and they families appreciate having proper doctors and thorough care. that everyone dopes is clear as day, but doing it the safe way seems a lot more complicated and expensive. riding for such a 'piss small' team desperate to break through must be a nightmare. almost makes me hate pro cycling :/

AJS914

by AJS914

So sad

petepeterson

by petepeterson

That's really sad if the allegations are true about Rumsas regarding his son. The cycling news article is (as usual) barely an article.

He had a lot of results before the tour podium.

dj97223

by dj97223

maquisard wrote:A good advertisement for why you should wear mitts when cycling.

. . . or a steel chamois.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

petepeterson wrote:That's really sad if the allegations are true about Rumsas regarding his son. The cycling news article is (as usual) barely an article.

He had a lot of results before the tour podium.

well, after few years in Polish team Mróz he signed with Fassa and catapulted himself from racing in some small half-amateur races to being a 'contender' in what we call today a World Tour. I personally know few guys from Mróz who used to ride with Rumsas back then in late 90's, one of them wrote on his FB "we were all stupid back then, few of us went to even greater lenghts trying to chase dreams, but doing this to your own children - not just allowing but being a part of it, perhaps even making them do it - it's just sick. he should be locked for good."

maquisard

by maquisard

tmr5555

by tmr5555

What is seen cannot be unseen :shock:

53x12

by 53x12

Wow. Um.....
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Not even that great of a Photoshop job. Look at that arm compared to the size of his head.

In other news, Manuel Quinziato is a classy dude. Wanted to go out on top at the worlds TTT. Knew he didn't have the legs for that particular course, talked to TvG and team management, stepped aside.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/quinzia ... -kicks-in/

maquisard

by maquisard

Froome's car crash of a wife at it again...

https://twitter.com/bradsohner/status/9 ... 6348922880

As someone else pointed out today, number of social media controversies started by Froome himself = zero

Number of social media controversies started by either his wife or team = too numerous to mention!

RimClencher

by RimClencher

Seems like she is just defending her hubby. It's cute.

The car crash of a twitter account is owned by Brad Sohner who retweeted this.

I now expect Brad Sohner to retweet this comment saying he was once in a car crash and my comment was insensitive to car crash victims. Not really though, because I'm just a guy on a forum.

Then again, seems like Brad is just defending his journalist hubby, which is also cute.

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Rudi wrote:I think the equivalent of the tennis "calendar grand slam", where you hold all the major titles in the same calendar year would indeed be very hard in the modern era. I guess if all three grand tours put some big TT and/or TTT mileage in the same year then you could see Froome currently having enough to get a lead and hold it. But that would be an unlikely scenario.

I could however see someone holding all three titles at the same time, most likely Tour/Vuelta in one year and the Giro in the following. If I were serious about historical legacy in cycling and I was in Froome's postion right now - I'd be thinking do the Giro next year even if it means missing the tour. Only my opinion though.

Nino Schurter has been unbelievable this year, won all six rounds of the World Cup this year, as well as his sixth world championship, also he's Olympic champion and also won Cape epic early in March.

He's dominated MTB XC more than all Team Sky put together, no one seems to question him, no alarm bells ringing??

For me he is amazing but made the sport I love watching quite boring this year. :roll:
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

by Weenie