2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bilwit

by bilwit

Looks like the mechanics fault to me. The aero bars/stack look like they didn't have enough torque to hold. They didn't snap or anything, the whole thing just rotated downwards and which caused him to buckle forward with it and by the end I it looks to be dangling by the brake cables alone.

Luckily the crash didn't look bad at all, one of the few times crashing in the rain is preferable :smartass:

AJS914

by AJS914

He almost was able to recover by grabbing the lower bars. I don't get the not wearing gloves. His palms took the brunt of that crash. Ouch!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

lol Marczynski isn't going to Bergen :doh:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Geoff

by Geoff

Aren't those 51 Speedshop, not Factor?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

AJS914 wrote:He almost was able to recover by grabbing the lower bars

lol maybe slow mo might allude to that, but no way anyone is going to go from extensions to grabbing for lower bars at race speed and real time.

ave

by ave

And even if he managed to get a grip on the basebar, the dropped extension would get caught in the wheel and bamm, face first crash...

itsacarr

by itsacarr

In regards to the AG2R incident rumor has it the mechanic put risers under the bar but did not put the appropriate screws in after - so they either broke or finally came free.
Just ride ..

53x12

by 53x12

ave wrote:Not a good advertisement for Factor bikes...

https://streamable.com/iosfx

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Bolts on the riser look to fail... Then......
Using Tapatalk

petepeterson

by petepeterson

it looked like the aero extensions slipped down (happened to me many times) but then he pulls the whole handlebar assembly off the steer tube...

I made fun of him lots but congrats to Farrar on 15 yr career. That is impressive.

Anyways, who is going to win Worlds RR? Really want to see someone other than Sags or GVA. Also nice to see Cummings tell BC to GFY after selecting him for the TT only with no specific prep.

bilwit

by bilwit

petepeterson wrote:it looked like the aero extensions slipped down (happened to me many times) but then he pulls the whole handlebar assembly off the steer tube...

I made fun of him lots but congrats to Farrar on 15 yr career. That is impressive.

Anyways, who is going to win Worlds RR? Really want to see someone other than Sags or GVA. Also nice to see Cummings tell BC to GFY after selecting him for the TT only with no specific prep.

The TTT will be interesting this year, despite the accolades not exactly being great, but there's a lot of really strong teams that could win it.

I'll fall out my chair if Froome wins the ITT which, yes, he stands a really good chance if he's not fatigued which is entirely possible given his apparently mutant physique (only 15s off the pace of Dumoulin at Rio, Martin will lose time on the climb, Kiryenka only won Richmond because of no competition there, etc). Not sure why Thomas refuses to do it when he's doing the TTT anyway.

For the RR, your usual suspects it looks like: Sagan, GVA, Kwiatkowski.. I'd love to see Boasson Hagen win it though, but I'm afraid he'll always be a step behind the rest of these guys.

wilebreizhou

by wilebreizhou

Nefarious86 wrote:Bolts on the riser look to fail... Then......

More information:
https://twitter.com/51Speedshop/status/ ... 4161741825

maquisard

by maquisard

A good advertisement for why you should wear mitts when cycling. Moncoutie never used to wear mitts when racing and the French cycling press frequently gave him a hard time about it as they felt it set a bad example to younger riders.

Rob81

by Rob81

petepeterson wrote:who is going to win Worlds RR? Really want to see someone other than Sags or GVA.

in a hard rainy day...I'll bet on Wellens.

pastronef

by pastronef

my wish would be Kwiato. but "anyone but Sagan" is ok, so be it Wellens

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com