2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rondje

by Rondje

Haha Keise's comment underneath the Etap questions "E what? It's not about the bike it's about the quote! Duh " Should have picked a different photo :lol:

prebsy

by prebsy

glam2deaf wrote:From memory wasn't Quick Step buying their own Shimano, until FSA WE was available?

That Vias Disc with the Metron bars looks pretty sick.

what in the world ever happened to WE? Didn't direct engerie have it for a bit.......

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

prebsy wrote:
glam2deaf wrote:From memory wasn't Quick Step buying their own Shimano, until FSA WE was available?

what in the world ever happened to WE? Didn't direct engerie have it for a bit.......

just a guess but probably not market ready yet and needs more testing #vaporware

bruno2000

by bruno2000

nathanong87 wrote:
prebsy wrote:

just a guess but probably not market ready yet and needs more testing #vaporware

FSA officially launched it last year at the eurobike Show in Germany...
Since that show it vaporised...

LeDuke

by LeDuke

ave wrote:
LouisN wrote:Ok. This is extreme weight weenies. Reported 46kg on Wiki !
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-mt ... c/results/

Louis :)

She's fat! :O Last saturday there was a hill climb in Hungary, where 4th overall was a woman. 39kg, around 165cm. And in the final she lost 17 seconds to my male friend, who is 67kg and pushed 350W for the last 10 minutes.
And she used to be a fine attractive girl just a few years ago. It's sick, but W/kg really works. :(

I'm guessing Mara Abbott would have some sort of medal hanging in her trophy case if she weighed a couple kilos more.

Watching her flail along solo on the flat, get passed, and then roll in for fourth in Rio was one of the saddest things I've seen on a bike.

thePrince

by thePrince

Mara has always been a pure climber...she laid down a great attack on the final climb of that race and built a big enough lead that she was almost able to take the gold.

If she weighed more, doubtful she would have put that kind of time into the field, and also doubtful those extra kilos would have translated to being able to hold off a chase group containing the strongest overall rider in the field and two trade-team teammates. Maybe, but doubtful.

When you say "saddest", are you suggesting it was pathetic...or are you feeling sympathy for an athlete who laid it all out there and came up meters short from winning a gold medal?

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

prebsy wrote:

I know there is a demo bike here in NZ fitted with it. It's currently on review, but it should be coming around stores at some point...

maquisard

by maquisard

thePrince wrote:Mara has always been a pure climber...she laid down a great attack on the final climb of that race and built a big enough lead that she was almost able to take the gold.

Maria has battled eating disorders for a long time, something that has a significant detrimental effect on her career. She most likely would be stronger, happier and fitter a few kilos heavier. For women operating at such a low body fat percentage the associated female athlete triad of related conditions is definitely not healthy and most definitely has repercussions for both her current and future health after retirement.

ave

by ave

Erm, being that thin works!
She won the Giro Rosa twice.

Yes, there are issues, and yes, there are races were it can be a hindrance. But it works.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Let's see how Kennaugh goes once he moves on from Sky and the pressure's on.

dj97223

by dj97223

Contador's legacy. To me, he is/was by far the most exciting and entertaining GC contender of the past decade. I am a bit conflicted by the clen incident, but I am sorry to see him go.

Discuss.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Rondje

by Rondje

Badluck for Rowe, fractures to his Tibia and Fibula on a bachelor party.
https://www.teamsky.com/article/luke-ro ... ry-lay-off
I wonder if badluck injurys like this could be prevented if cyclist try other "heavier impact" sports more often to strengthen te bones.

prebsy

by prebsy

dj97223 wrote:Contador's legacy. To me, he is/was by far the most exciting and entertaining GC contender of the past decade. I am a bit conflicted by the clen incident, but I am sorry to see him go.

Discuss.

Definitely an exciting/ attacking GC rider. Even as he lost his step the last year he still didn't stop attacking (2017 Paris-Nice) and that dancing on the pedals style will certainly be missed!

boots2000

by boots2000

Regardless of weight, if she was at least a competent descender she might have a gold medal in her trophy case.

thePrince wrote:Mara has always been a pure climber...she laid down a great attack on the final climb of that race and built a big enough lead that she was almost able to take the gold.

If she weighed more, doubtful she would have put that kind of time into the field, and also doubtful those extra kilos would have translated to being able to hold off a chase group containing the strongest overall rider in the field and two trade-team teammates. Maybe, but doubtful.

When you say "saddest", are you suggesting it was pathetic...or are you feeling sympathy for an athlete who laid it all out there and came up meters short from winning a gold medal?

bilwit

by bilwit

prebsy wrote:
dj97223 wrote:Contador's legacy. To me, he is/was by far the most exciting and entertaining GC contender of the past decade. I am a bit conflicted by the clen incident, but I am sorry to see him go.

Discuss.

Definitely an exciting/ attacking GC rider. Even as he lost his step the last year he still didn't stop attacking (2017 Paris-Nice) and that dancing on the pedals style will certainly be missed!

Yeah he still put up really good results this year regardless. Probably a better decision to hang it up now but physically, he could go on a couple more years and do well in 1 week races and be a key lieutenant for whoever in Grand Tours.