2017 On the road today

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Locked
User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

thePrince wrote:Lots of road rash, somehow nothing broken.


Road rash is terrible. Sleeping at night. Taking showers. Putting clothes on and taking off. You are lucky nothing was broken. Could have been much worse.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Mr.Gib
Posts: 3116
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Location: eh?

by Mr.Gib

@Kingtom re Tremola/St Gotthard Pass. Absolutely a bucket list climb.

I expected the climb to be made much harder by the cobbles (the cobbles are not smooth at all) but I was surprised that they didn't seem to require that much extra effort. And it was a pretty big day for us, started in Splugen, went over the San Bernadino pass, amazing endless descent to Arbedo-Castione and than back up to the Gotthard and on to Andermatt. In fact the 20 km climb to the base of St. Gotthard felt every bit as hard as the pass itself. Maybe it was the blazing sun - mercifully clouds came in for the pass.

Kingtom, you knowledge of things Swiss is impressive. Here are two photos of another more obscure but incredible climb. If you know it without using an app I will be blown away.
Image
Image
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wingguy
Posts: 3822
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

Grosse Scheidegg from Meiringen?

User avatar
havana
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:04 pm

by havana

Image

Rettenbachferner, Austria. A real beast!
Most "innovations" in cycling are solutions for non-existing problems.

kingtom
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:23 am
Location: switzerland
Contact:

by kingtom

Mr.Gib wrote:@Kingtom re Tremola/St Gotthard Pass. Absolutely a bucket list climb.

I expected the climb to be made much harder by the cobbles (the cobbles are not smooth at all) but I was surprised that they didn't seem to require that much extra effort. And it was a pretty big day for us, started in Splugen, went over the San Bernadino pass, amazing endless descent to Arbedo-Castione and than back up to the Gotthard and on to Andermatt. In fact the 20 km climb to the base of St. Gotthard felt every bit as hard as the pass itself. Maybe it was the blazing sun - mercifully clouds came in for the pass.

Kingtom, you knowledge of things Swiss is impressive. Here are two photos of another more obscure but incredible climb. If you know it without using an app I will be blown away.
Image
Image
Yes. Too easy... as wingguy wrote. Grosse Scheidegg.

It's easy to know when you life in Switzerland and ride the bike for >20'k over so many years. You'll know each stone on the side of the street by name.

Haydn
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:08 am
Location: UK

by Haydn

omg :beerchug:

Mr.Gib
Posts: 3116
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Location: eh?

by Mr.Gib

Wingguy and Kingtom, hell yeah - Grosse Sheidegg. I don't think I will be able to stump you guys.

It was every bit as difficult or perhaps more difficult than any of the major better known climbs. On maps of the area it barely shows as a faint line. A couple of nice ramps at 15 - 17%. I didn't spot in time either of the two cattle wands on the descent - looking too far ahead and then WAPP on my knuckles :D .

Here is one more and to be fair it could be anywhere - these mountain pastures all look the same, perfectly beautiful, but similar. I'll give a clue - after the descent we had to ride a boat to get to our hotel in Vitznau. A super hard climb, tiny road, severe descent.

Image
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

kingtom
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:23 am
Location: switzerland
Contact:

by kingtom

i guess it is the Aecherli. Another highlight. Steep and beautiful.

wingguy
Posts: 3822
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

Mr.Gib wrote:It was every bit as difficult or perhaps more difficult than any of the major better known climbs. On maps of the area it barely shows as a faint line. A couple of nice ramps at 15 - 17%. I didn't spot in time either of the two cattle wands on the descent - looking too far ahead and then WAPP on my knuckles :D .

Grosse Scheidegg is funny like that. On paper the Grindelwald side is more difficult with the constant steep average gradient, but the Meiringen side does have a lot of steeper steep bits hidden in there!

Though weather permitting I'll be trying to find your steeper Mortirolo tomorrow so we'll see how that compares :P

Mr.Gib
Posts: 3116
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Location: eh?

by Mr.Gib

kingtom wrote: i guess it is the Aecherli. Another highlight. Steep and beautiful.


Yes indeed Aecherli. Very beautiful and much of the descent toward the lake is sheer lunacy. I don't think I took my fingers off the brake levers and I am a very aggressive, fearless descender.

When we climbed it, about a week ago now, two thirds of the way up it had a stretch of over a kilometer of day or two old chip seal :evil: :evil: The tar and gravel was collecting and rubbing under my fender. The surface was so nasty I didn't dare stop until I was forced to because my front wheel locked. Not even with your foot could you step off the two car tire tracks that were somewhat packed. Everywhere else was so soft it was un-walkable and unrideable - you would just sink in too deep and get covered with tar and gravel. I was able to restart the first time because I found a post at the side of the road to hold onto. The second time my front wheel locked I was going to throw away the fenders, but I looked up and only 50 meters of chip seal left. All of this nonsense at 10 or 12%. Maybe the hardest km of riding in my life, but somehow I loved every minute of it. A great adventure.

@wingguy, all you need to do to find that crazy road back up to the top of the Mortirolo, is after you descend to Monno, head to Edolo and stay to the left. I think there is a little sign to Megno. If you ride through Megno (after about a km of climbing), you are on the correct road. At the top it joins with the ridge road (turn right) that takes you back (mostly down) to to top of the Mortirolo. The ridge road has a few incredible views straight down into the valley above Tirano. Also I would definitely advise against descending to Megno. Your wheels would probably burst into flames.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

User avatar
kytyree
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:55 am
Location: US

by kytyree

Col de O'er Pas Amarillo, Texas
Image


And outside of town on a little farm road
Image

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

Today on the MTB for a 5 hours bike ride around Pitt lake/ PoCo etc... in British Columbia/ Canada. Temperature around 30 degrees C!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage


flying
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:16 am

by flying

TonyM wrote:Today on the MTB for a 5 hours bike ride around Pitt lake/ PoCo etc... in British Columbia/ Canada. Temperature around 30 degrees C!
Image


All beautiful but man this last one is straight out of a fairy tale :thumbup:

Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 2221
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

Image
Using Tapatalk

Locked
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post