Well Designed Bib Shorts Options?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

micky

by micky

Small size would be a little too short for your height.
By what I saw they are very compressive and a medium would probably fit you much better (myself being 174, 64kg and using a medium).

by Weenie

iamalex

by iamalex

Good to know, thanks!

AJS914

by AJS914

I decided to just use the size XL Assos I bought. Wow, I totally love the pad that isn't sewn all the way around. I'm tempted to try the Giordana FRC too. They are only $86 on Swiss Iconic right now.

Kjetil

by Kjetil

Gearjunkie wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 4:33 am
Ahhhh the S2.... how do we convince Assos to bring it back?
Never tried the S2. Liked the 13.S5, the Mille.S5 chamois was too much. The S7 Equipe and Tiburu were great, the Campionissimo's Kuku Penthouse a problem, and the RSR S9 is just brilliant.
What do you think of the S9, Gearjunkie?

Shrike

by Shrike

What you guys think about Isadore bibs?

Saw some thermal ones on Wiggle super cheap and grabbed them. They've got that dated looking seam on them, but they were so deeply discounted I reckon they were worth a punt. Look warm too, needed something for early morning spins.

Oh and what about the fit, I ordered M. Take M with Rapha, anyone know if they fit reasonably closely?

https://isadore.com/i7a3o7e-echelon-thermal-bib-shorts

Just hope they don't look too naff with those seams :x

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Shrike wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:12 am
What you guys think about Isadore bibs?

Saw some thermal ones on Wiggle super cheap and grabbed them. They've got that dated looking seam on them, but they were so deeply discounted I reckon they were worth a punt. Look warm too, needed something for early morning spins.

Oh and what about the fit, I ordered M. Take M with Rapha, anyone know if they fit reasonably closely?

https://isadore.com/i7a3o7e-echelon-thermal-bib-shorts

Just hope they don't look too naff with those seams :x
Thought about them too but couldn't get over the rubbish looking seams. Love their jerseys, didn't really get on with their thermal bob shorts but those had a TMF chamois that's really thin. The echelon bibs have a better looking chamois. Let us know how they go. I'm looking for a good set of thermal bib shorts if anyone has recommendations.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Giordana makes a pretty good pair of thermal bib shorts with a nice chamois. Called the G-Shield which I have a pair of and they are quite nice but I hardly ever use them as our weather is either shorts or extreme swing to bib tights rarely anything in between FFS. Although I did wear them the other day and thought to myself I should wear them more often but then again see above ^^^^.

https://giordanacycling.com/collections ... 4015461481
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Shrike

by Shrike

Those Giordana's do look good, but again, pricey. I got the Isadore thermals today and they're alright. For £70 odd they're hard to beat, but not really up to the standard of Rapha's Pro Team thermal bibs. Those have been amazing for me. Love everything about them, but current pair are... well not decent to wear on the road, put it that way :D

These are thinner that Rapha's thermals. Thinner leg material and chamois. Style wise these are a bit basic. They don't look terrible though in person, but definitely not winning any style points with those seams. I mean seriously, it's 2020 and they wanted £175 for these? Jesus.

Fine for my early morning rides. Not many riders out 6 am so it'll take a while until I get a rep as that weird thigh seams guy :P

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

bJay wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:11 am
Check out 7mesh.

Local company here in Van (well, just north of Van) who come from a functional design focus. Plenty of good reviews and a good bunch of folks.

B
I just got a pair of 7Mesh RK1 shorts. Especially designed for warmer weather, they feel incredibe, by far the most complete pair of bibs I've ever owned. They so light and material feels so silky. The chamois gets really thin over the front to aid ventalation and also gives your manhood a bit of space. Very impressed, they feel better than a second skin, like the mould to you.

MarkoP

by MarkoP

I tried 7mesh mk3 but they didn't work for me. They were unbearably tight in the groin. I hear the RK1 fit better but not sure I want to risk spending that much to have two 7mesh bib sitting unused in the closet.

My go to is Assos Rs9. I wouldn't say no to a bit more length on them but they are my best bibs by far. The chamois front pouch is brilliant.

I also have several Chpt3 bibs, Rapha Pro, Q36.5, 7mesh mk3, Castelli Free Aero, and La Passione from a few years back.

Next to Assos I reach for Chpt3 and Q36.5 most. Both are good quality and fit well though the 36.5 chamois is a bit thick for my preference.

I'd say Rapha Pro bibs are solid too fit wise but the quality isn't on par with some loose stitching so I wear them sparingly.

The others I don't wear.

Moving forward I can't see myself buying anything other that Assos unless I see Q36.5 or Chpt3 on sale. I am interested in the 7mesh RK1 but as mentioned...too risky after my Mk3 experience.

Plus I'm anal about my kit matching so it's easier to have lots of gear from 1 brand to give lots of mix and match options. But admittedly that's a silly reason.
2020 Scott Addict RC Ultimate

gwilson

by gwilson

With their near constant Strava challenges, I've picked up two discounted pair of Le Col bib shorts this year, and I'd have to say that after my Assos pairs they are my favourites. I have the HC Heritage and Pro models, definitely enjoy the extra compression and leg length on the Pros, but the HCs are just as comfortable and more relaxed. The one thing I would say is that they fit a bit larger than most other brands I ride (Assos, Rapha, Castelli mostly) but the sizing chart on their site seems pretty accurate.

TQ1

by TQ1

I bought some Pactimo based on others reviews on here.

Sizing seems too large to me. I went off their guide, but I could have sized down I think. I bought a large with long leg. Straps are OK, the middle section is a good height for me, not too low. Material is pretty nice quality, light and soft.

Main issue is the shorts, not enough compression and leg grippers not strong enough (probably a size thing). Glad I got long leg or they would be like hot pants!

I'm 189cm and 79-82kg depending on season/how much I'm riding, probably upper end of that at the moment. They aren't so bad I won't wear them more, but they won't be my first choice of short for a Sunday ride.

I understand about no returns once worn and need tags, but it's a little ridiculous when they cost as much as they do. Maybe offering a discount to size down like Rapha did with their kit, Endura offer 90 day no quibble exchange.

I'm a large in Castelli, Endura or Rapha pro team, medium in Rapha Core.