Well Designed Bib Shorts Options?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

You could speak with a local tailor about his/her ability to snip and add some material to the straps on a set of bib shorts that fit you well from the waist down. The tailor would have to use stretch thread and perhaps you have an old pair of shorts that are about to be retired from which material for the strap extensions can be sourced.

dak

by dak

Assos s7 cento is truly amaze balls, pardon the pun. I've been wearing them for the last couple of years after stints with Capo and others. Pad is very thick and dense and has held up well but I always hang mine to dry, never machine dry. Fit is fairly compressive but not race compression. Comfort is second to none if it works for you. The koku penthouse (ridiculous marketing team!) for your package is way more comfortable and breathable than anything else I've worn and the whole golden gate thing definitely helps keep the pad from shifting. Used to only wear on longer rides but now they are the only bibs I use. Only awful part is the price but given the quality of the materials and the longevity and Assos warranty quality I can justify it.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

by Weenie

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Rush

by Rush

1415chris wrote:So, Assos T.cento and Etxeondo Attaque arrived. I was really hoping to have something different than Rapha or Castelli this time.
T.cento - good material, chamois is very thick and big, very good finish, everything perfect till I put them on. Legs are too short for my liking, nothing distinctive, just really like the length of Castelli Mondiale. Assos states they are more stretchy, suitable for bigger guys. I'm 6'2 200lbs and the abdominal section is just too loose for me, there is almost no support, the material is extremely stretchy. Love the shoulder straps, though. So judging by the first impression, in terms of the fit, for me they are below Castelli Mondiale and Rapha PT.
Will give them one more chance before sending back.
Etxeondo Attaque - very nice soft materials, probably not that durable like Assos, Rapha PT. Nevertheless high quality overall. Longer legs, good compression and support in legs and abdominal sections. Straps are rather on heavy side, not as nice as in Assos. Generally, from my experience all these shorts present high standards and there is not such a thing, that objectively one is better than another, it always comes to personal preferences.

I had a pair of Assos S5 Mille w/long leg and they were great. They got destroyed in a crash and I replaced them with the S7 Equipe. Really nice bibs with great straps but I really do miss the long leg option.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Hey

My personal preferences for bib shorts (in decreasing order of importance) are:

+ Pad comfort. Usually prefer a thicker pad.
+ Compression. I really dislike shorts with overly stretchy lycra - firmer is better for me because it's more stable and keeps everything in place better, less chaffing.
+ Length. Dislike short legs, makes my tree trunks look like sausages.
+ Colour. I have enough good black options. Would like some colour for a change and for some contrast. Visibility is good too.
+ Price. Not critical, but all else being equal would (obviously) go for the cheaper option.

So what fits that bill?

Assos are all black these days. Shame, I liked the S2 because it had good compression / stability, great pad and colour options. S5 and s7 Assos aren't bad but I'd like more stability / less stretch.

Actually quite like Sportful Bodyfit Pro. Didn't expect to but got some Tinkoff ones on the cheap and they are surprisingly stable, ok pad, good length. And they have colour that's not too bad, at least in the camo or grey/blue options.

Found Rapha too stretchy, not stable enough. Lycra moves around too much which causes chaffing in the upper leg (below the pad) and allows the pad to move.

Castelli are similar. Too much stretch, pad too thin. But at least there are good colour options.

What are the Pedal Ed shorts (above) like for length and stability / stretch / compression? I'm considering trying their blue Natsu shorts (some colour plus good review above as to quality) but don't want to risk it without knowing about length and stability.

Thanks all and safe riding.

Cheers
GJ

kytyree

by kytyree

The only thing I don't like about my Rapha pro teams is that they aren't that comfortable when I'm in the drops. I don't think the pad goes up high enough in the front for me. I've read other people feel the same. My old De Marchi bibs are better and the pad on those is otherwise pretty worn after several years.

I didn't love the Assos S5 pad, it held moisture and already being big it turned into a big wet diaper.

uraqt

by uraqt

@kytyree

Thought I was the only one who had that issue with Assos! : )

C

kytyree

by kytyree

Unseasonably cold here today so I broke out my old assos 3/4's with the orange pad, they're ancient but I much prefer it to the S5.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Ahhhh the S2.... how do we convince Assos to bring it back?

jcrr

by jcrr

Morvelo. The fit is spectacular and they have a ridiculous lifespan. Very underrated IMHO, when compared to other brands.
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

peted76

by peted76

Gearjunkie wrote:Hey

My personal preferences for bib shorts (in decreasing order of importance) are:

+ Pad comfort. Usually prefer a thicker pad.
+ Compression. I really dislike shorts with overly stretchy lycra - firmer is better for me because it's more stable and keeps everything in place better, less chaffing.
+ Length. Dislike short legs, makes my tree trunks look like sausages.
+ Colour. I have enough good black options. Would like some colour for a change and for some contrast. Visibility is good too.
+ Price. Not critical, but all else being equal would (obviously) go for the cheaper option.

So what fits that bill?

Assos are all black these days. Shame, I liked the S2 because it had good compression / stability, great pad and colour options. S5 and s7 Assos aren't bad but I'd like more stability / less stretch.

Actually quite like Sportful Bodyfit Pro. Didn't expect to but got some Tinkoff ones on the cheap and they are surprisingly stable, ok pad, good length. And they have colour that's not too bad, at least in the camo or grey/blue options.

Found Rapha too stretchy, not stable enough. Lycra moves around too much which causes chaffing in the upper leg (below the pad) and allows the pad to move.

Castelli are similar. Too much stretch, pad too thin. But at least there are good colour options.

What are the Pedal Ed shorts (above) like for length and stability / stretch / compression? I'm considering trying their blue Natsu shorts (some colour plus good review above as to quality) but don't want to risk it without knowing about length and stability.

Thanks all and safe riding.

Cheers
GJ

Leg length is average, I'm a short bloke and like a short leg, the Natsu's aren't a short leg but I can still wear them. Same as Rapha Pro bibs.
I'm unsure about the stability, I have no issues with Rapha for stability, so if you do, I guess our opinions would be divided.
Compression, I like a tight fit to keep my knee warmers in place, the Natsu's work for me.
Pad wise is where they come alive, they were used by Mike Hall on the TCR once or twice and he sang their praises. I also find them very very good and used them recently for 140 miles in a day, 60miles of that offroad with no chamios cream (I forgot it) - no issues..

I'd suggest you contacted them directly for a bit more info, I know when I mentioned the leg length they pointed me to these ones over others.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

1415chris wrote:T.cento - good material, chamois is very thick and big, very good finish, everything perfect till I put them on...Legs are too short for my liking...I'm 6'2 200lbs and the abdominal section is just too loose for me, there is almost no support, the material is extremely stretchy.

If you don't mind, what size did you order? I'm about your size (6'3; 205) and never sure what size in Assos (and not really anywhere close to try on).

Thanks.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Thanks fo quoting me, you have just reminded me that I owe some amendment to my comments on T.cento ;)
I gave them a second chance and that was very wise, have to say. My initial impression was dictated by the fact that these bibs are quite different to what I used to wear before.
After few hundreds km they are great, very comfy, the thingy is getting more space and cooling in it's penthouse :)
These are the only one bibs of which the shoulder straps do not roll, they nicely keep the shape.

Answering your question, XL, you should be happy with this size.

KCookie

by KCookie

+1 on the Assos T-cento, only used for a couple of rides and fell in love with them. They do have a slightly shorter leg than the other Assos bib shorts, but the cut out area for your penthouse as 1415chris puts it, is amazing, well worth the money.

elbikepirate

by elbikepirate

Assos shorts where have you been all my life.

As a rider who like to spend five house plus in the saddle I was really keen to try out the new Assos T.Cento S7 shorts as they are recommended for endurance riders.

The experience began in London, I was there visiting friends so I took the opportunity to pop to the Assos store in Piccadilly. My first impression was great I was greeted by friendly staff, offered a coffee and made the feel very welcome. After browsing the range of products I asked a staff member if I could try on some bib shorts. I was offered great advice on size for the two models of shorts I wanted to test. These where the T.Campionissimo S7 and the T.Cento S7. Unlike anywhere else I have tried cycle clothing I was offered a base layer to try them with, then a bike on a trainer to sit on and pedal so I could get a feel for how they suit me in use. This test was invaluable as I found the T.Campionissimo S7 had a bit to much compression for me and my style and type of cycling. Where as the T.Cento S7 was obviously very comfortable. The size was also one down from what I was expecting. I now purchased the highest priced short I have ever brought with confidence I had made a great choice.

This choice was obviously a good one as on the first ride in them they where instantly comfortable. It's hard to describe the fit accurately, nothing about the shorts stands out and that's exactly what makes them the best I have ever used in my opinion. My first ride was just 3 hours steady paced ride and I returned home feeling as happy as when I left. One noticeable point was I did not have to adjust the fit during my ride once this I found unusual as with most other shorts there is always a bit if shifting about.

My second and third ride came on consecutive days a small bike packing adventure. 7 hours day one with an overnight stay and 8 hours back the next morning. This ride confirmed it these where the best shorts I have ever used. My experience was one of constant comfort both on the way out and on the way back. I was not feeling any after effects of day one in the sit bone area or perineum.

The padding is perfectly comfortable, it's stable as in it dose not shift about so I have had no need for and chamois cream yet. The shoulder brace is light and soft so it dose not pull at my shoulders, as I have a long torso this has been an issue for me with other brands. Comfort breaks are easy as the brace allows you to go without pulling you into a strange doubled over position.

The leg gripper is secure and very soft, after my ride I was not aware of any discomfort from the gripper. How something so soft and comfortable can stay in place so well is testament to Assos attention to details in development. I have had the same experience with and without leg or knee warmers.

Some things I want to add about this current range of shorts.
1. They are not expensive in my opinion they give amazing value for money as the deliver comfort and durability in larger volume than other shorts in the market to reflect the price tag. And if the durability is similar to my previous purchases from the brand then they will outlast many lower priced alternatives.
2. I believe the price tag is arrived at due to the use of bespoke materials and pads, materials that where at least five years in the development. This dedication to research and development has to have cost the company a lot and therefore reflects in the price tag.
3. One pair of these shorts is worth 3 pairs of others I have in my drawer so I am very happy with the value they offer me.

I have one major problem with these shorts I am packing for a 3 day ride in Vietnam and I only have one pair. Tough choices I think I will be packing some travel wash and be washing them in my hotel sink each night so I can use them on everyday of the ride. I will undoubtedly be buying a second pair soon so I can use them every time I ride.

by Weenie