Iv'e created a universal wireless shifter - all feedback appreciated

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

PaulG

by PaulG

Disclosure: This is a product that I will be selling soon. I am still enhancing the functions and would really appreciate your feedback and comments.
I have links to some videos but will not post since I am not sure about the forum guidelines yet. If interested, please pm me.

Thank you,
Paul

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alistaird

by alistaird

Can it hack into the guy next to you to change his gears as well? :lol: :twisted: :evil: :lol:

Marin

by Marin

For existing derailleurs? Or does it come with its own derailleur?

PaulG

by PaulG

Thank you for your feedback and questions.
The XSHIFTER is easily programmable, so you can use any derailleur. You can use any cassette or any front chainring. Any number of gears is possible. Even combinations that have never been done before, such as a 3x12 is possible with. You can run your current favorite derailleurs wirelessly. You aren't forced into using a package that is offered on the market. If you want to use Brand X in the rear, and Brand Y in the front, it will work just fine as long as the chain is compatible.

Marin

by Marin

I imagine it won't run mechanical derailleurs, right?

How about wired electronic ones? If they don't work- they obviously need wires - this leaves only Etap, right?

wingguy

by wingguy

PaulG wrote:You can run your current favorite derailleurs wirelessly.

My current favourite derailleurs are mechanical campagnolo. How will XSHIFTER operate these derailleurs for me?

Kurets

by Kurets

What I would assume is a wirelessly controlled servo that pulls a standard derailleur cable. By programming the cable pull you can get any ratio or number of gears you want. Wouldn't work as well as derailleurs actuated by motors in the derailleurs themselves but could be a workable system.

But, I have no insight into OPs product. Just my assumption based on his claim that it would be unicersal.

Sent from mTalk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

How much weight does your wireless system add to an existing mechanical system?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Marin

by Marin

Kurets wrote:What I would assume is a wirelessly controlled servo that pulls a standard derailleur cable. By programming the cable pull you can get any ratio or number of gears you want. Wouldn't work as well as derailleurs actuated by motors in the derailleurs themselves but could be a workable system.

But, I have no insight into OPs product. Just my assumption based on his claim that it would be unicersal.

Sent from mTalk

That would actually be pretty cool, although I'd have to think of a use for it 1st

Kurets

by Kurets

Marin wrote:
That would actually be pretty cool, although I'd have to think of a use for it 1st

I stumbled on the guy trying to get kickstarter backers on another for. And yes, servo pulling cables if what they do. I would not expect it to work very well. Probably shift quite slow and still be vulnerable to drag in the housing (the loop by the RD). Plus so far they only look for backers for their flat bar shifter.

In any case I think it does not solve any problems, youll still need cables, you need their special shift buttons, you need brake levers, servos add weight to ypur bike etc etc.

Sent from mTalk

wingguy

by wingguy

So it's heavy, pointless, and not universal because it doesn't work with electronic derailleurs?

Gee who'da thunk it? :P

McGilli

by McGilli

I watched all of the promotional videos. My advice is for the OP to go onto Kickstarter - unless money is not an issue. There is a real, functioning device to demonstrate - so it's not vapourware. The videos are simple and to the point - and even though it appears to be more for the Mountain or Cruiser bikes currently due to the wireless shifter attachment on the handlebar - it's a really great start. Impressive actually.

I don't know how you could currently integrate the shifter into current road shifters - but if you could do that - then that is really cool. Not to demean the product. But most electronic or wireless shifters right now are 'top tier' products.

If this was marketed as the 'normal' cyclists wireless upgrade - almost... like Shimano 105 level for the time being - I think there's a market for this sooner rather than later...

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Wow, that's one interesting product! Paul, how extensible the software part will be? As a programmer, I'd really love to have complete control over every hardware function and API. With wireless buttons, it should be possible to hack them into a glove with sensors at finger ends, which will achieve complete decoupling of shifter and brake lever on road bike. This way you can use any cable levers, trp hylex or even magura rt-8 and bullhorns, certainly an amusing perspective from a weenie viewpoint.

PaulG

by PaulG

Klaster1 wrote:Wow, that's one interesting product! Paul, how extensible the software part will be? As a programmer, I'd really love to have complete control over every hardware function and API. With wireless buttons, it should be possible to hack them into a glove with sensors at finger ends, which will achieve complete decoupling of shifter and brake lever on road bike. This way you can use any cable levers, trp hylex or even magura rt-8 and bullhorns, certainly an amusing perspective from a weenie viewpoint.

Sorry, been a long time since I visited here. Been super busy with product development and the Kickstarter campaign. Yes, the potential for this product is huge. We've developed options for most bicycle types, and working on more. It's very flexible and scaleable so we can make new remote designs very easily.

I've also thought about the glove idea. I think it would work with long finger gloves but most cyclist wear half glove. Not sure how that would work. The remote could be made very, very small. Definitely can fit in a glove. Might be hard to get it to work well without accidental shifting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... -smart-shi

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

@PaulG, I've already ordered the shifter, we even exchanged several letters prior to KS launch. I'm looking forward messing with Xhshifter when it arrives, be it software or modified remote.