Garmin 1000 map question

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

jever98

by jever98

I have a Garmin issue I couldn't find an answer on (or my searching skills suck).

On a Garmin 1000 I tried, I have an issue with mapping: I would like the map to display the smallest types of paved roads (grey solid line, typically visible from 800m and closer) at 1.2km resolution, but without displaying land cover and all sorts of other information, because then I can't read the map anymore. Whilst riding. The reason I want this is that we have a ton of small roads in Switzerland that can make for great riding, and would have more of an overview.

If I change the map detail level, the roads appear or disappear (appear on level "more" or higher, disappear on "normal" or less). However, nothing changes with regards to the other detail, whether I set "land cover" to off or not.

Ideally, I would like the Garmin to only show the different types of roads (like it does on, say 2km resolution), but including the really small ones.

Any Garmin experts out there who can advise?

Cheers
Jever
----
No longer in the industry

havana

by havana

Simply not possible AFAIK.
Most "innovations" in cycling are solutions for non-existing problems.

jever98

by jever98

Thanks for the info.

:( that really sucks.
----

LloydP

by LloydP

I think it's a map issue rather than a device issue. Probably could be done if you're handy with making map tiles, but more trouble than it's likely to be worth. Or try a different source of maps, openfietsmap or whatever

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Is your base map file from Garmin? You could try using open street map (bike routable) and that may help. DC rainmaker has a how to on his website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guerdi

by Guerdi

No, it is not possible unfortunately.

What maps are you going to use ?

I can vouch for garmin topo Switzerland v3 raster version (not the latest v4), which comes in handy for smaller roads. Also the routables OSM for bikes (Openfietsmap Lite) do a good job.

jever98

by jever98

Thanks - the Garmin I tried has the Garmin Cycle map on it.

I'm a bit sad, because in the end the Garmin 1000 doesn't really offer much functional benefit over my 5 year old 800. Yes, the screen is nicer and bigger, but I find it makes very poor use of the additional resolution in terms of mapping. By not being able to strip out unwanted detail it becomes too cluttered.

Does anybody know what the function "land cover" does in the end?

Cheers
----