Best Winter Bib Tights

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dbecks7

by dbecks7

So with the cold weather approaching I am in the market for a nice pair of tights with chamois. I am really interested in both the Rapha winter tights with chamois and Castelli Sorpasso. Essentially I'd like to hear what everyones opinion is and what they suggest. I have a pair of rapha and castelli bibs (with progetto 2 chamois) and love them. I only have a 30 in inseam so ideally a shorter pair is my aim. I hear the Sorpasso's are really tight fitting. As far as temperatures, the coldest I will be riding in is probably 25 degrees farenheight so I don't need anything super warm. Ideally a bib that can be worn from cool temps down to cold temps (50-25 degrees).

nohands

by nohands

I've tried the sorpasso wind bibtight but had to return them. The reason being is that although the wind stopper fabric on the legs is good there is lack of wind protection around the crotch area. It felt like my members were just hanging out catching the cold air. I haven't tried the Rapha bibs. I currently own some Assos (habu?) which are much better.

btw, competitive cyclist has some winter assos gear on sale.
Last edited by nohands on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

I use the Sorpassos with Windstopper on the front for very low temperatures and the Rapha insulated Bibs with legwarmes when it's not as cold. Both are really comfortable and durable - would recommend them both. [emoji106]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

crankinstein

by crankinstein

I have used a set of castelli bib knickers for the last two years and highly recommend them. Their the nanoflex, not the soprasso.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

For what kind of temperatures do the Nanoflex ones work?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Following :p
Using Tapatalk

thprice

by thprice

+1 Castelli Sorpasso ... great for all day winter riding.

kgt

by kgt

Santini makes some very good, high quality winter tights.
Santini's chamois are much better than Castelli's IME and its lycra more durable. Made in Italy is another plus.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

and on 3/4 lenght ?
http://eliflap.it/

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I use the Etxe-Ondo Windstopper/Thermolite ones for very cold and the carbon ones (Attaque) for just cold.

kgt

by kgt

Giordana frc is great stuff as well.

cymans

by cymans

I'm with kgt on this one, Giordana frc is nice kit along with with Al'e bike clothing. Iv'e moved over from Assos to FRC and Al'e.

https://www.alebikewear.com/men

Cyman

jeffy

by jeffy

I use Sorpasso, Progettox2 chamois is incredible (don't have rapha or assos to compare, but some find Progetto better)

Have short legs (30") and the XL size is not a concern for leg length. i would say XL is good for 33-35" waist.

I find Castelli's temperature rating useful, and pretty accurate - went for Sorpasso because of the wide range (0-15C)
Proved to be very useful- only verging on uncomfortable (heatwise) (but actually totally ok) when
    ~15C after hard/high intensity effort
    ~1C with a chilly wind

both these instances were totally fine but felt on the limit of what i was comfortable with.

The advantage i find is that the large temperature "band" of the sorpasso means that during transitional seasons i don't have any need for "middle ground" bibs/tights and can probably wear summer bibs and the sorpasso in the same conditions and would be fine (just on the edge of too cold/too hot)

you can often pick them up pretty reduced as well.

Rick

by Rick

I can't claim it is he best or anything, and I don't have a direct comparison to the Sorpassos, but the Pearl Izumi Amfib bib tights are extremely warm, and have a lower claimed rating. My experience is that they are too warm for anything above 40° F, so I have a few other tights for milder conditions (Castelli Leggerezza, 2XU, PBK, etc)

I like the fact that the Pearls come either with or without chamois, because I like to ride with regular bib sorts under the tights.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com