Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

@WheresWaldo... yes, it is beginning to hit pretty hard in the NY/NJ area. The last week has been very strange. I was able to get out for some solo rides over the weekend, but with friends of friends being effected it makes me question if it is wise to even be outside at all, at this point. I know its not just floating around, but just being outside increases the risk that you'll encounter someone that has it, even if you're trying to avoid people all together.

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

@CrankAddictsRich
NC isn't quite as bad, but it is relative and something our leaders don't seem to understand; if you test more, you find more. And, how can you fight an enemy when you don't know how large their forces are? Cuomo has done a fantastic job in NY and working in unison with the governors of NJ, CT, MA, PA makes a ton of sense.I do understand your concern but I also see why these and other states have keep cycling and bicycle shops open as an essential service. It is a fantastic mode of transportation for local necessities like the infrequent run to the grocery store. As well as a great means of staying fit as a solo exercise.

Just to be clear and not be mistaken, I and my family are fully complying with the Shelter In Place order and actually started doing that before it was mandated here. Both myself and my wife are over 60 years of age and we both have pre-existing conditions so we are in the at risk group for complications. That said, if it wasn't for the short rides through the neighborhood every couple of days I am sure a hospital stay would be the least of my worries as being couped up with my loved ones is driving all of us crazy. :D :D :D

Update: Shelter-In-Place is actually not a mandate in NC yet, but Gov. Cooper is expected to announce that mandate tomorrow.

by Weenie

ms6073

by ms6073

@WheresWaldo. Several months back I commented on a Garmin Varia seat post mount that had the pivot at the front and the clamping mechanism/varia mount at the rear to reduce possibility of rubbing holes on inner thigh of cycling shorts/bibshorts but you indicated there was little interest. I am still hopeful that you or one of the other designers on Shapeways eventually comes out with said design as I think Garmin has missed the boat on this one, but take a look at the last page of this thread and you will see there are others in the same boat.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=158537&start=75
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

@ms6073

What size seat post does your wife's bike have. In an effort to promote cycling during this pandemic I could model a special mount for her particular situation that moves the clamp to a more acceptable location.

ms6073

by ms6073

Enve 27.2 - currently have her bike setup with the Garmin mount positioned as high up the post as her saddle bag allows. What confuses me is why doesn't the desigh of these mounts follow that of a seat post clamp or reflector mount both of which clamp typically clamp at the rear? What I am proposing is that the Varia mount design have a clamping mechanism at the front and the 1/4 turn is at the rear. In simplest terms, combine this 1/4 turn design:

with a front clamp mechanism like this:

ms6073

by ms6073

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:00 pm
Can you make a Varia mount like this for a 27.2 round seat post?
Bringing this back up for further reference. Your reply to the the original post included a link to the mount below which is nice but not waht we need.

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

I know what your proposal is. I also need to know what bike and what size so I can get the seat tube angle from the specs.

ms6073

by ms6073

2017 Scott Contessa Solace disc in size medium has a 74 degree seat tube angle.

Tychom

by Tychom

I could also be interested in a similar Varia mount for a 27.2mm seatpost as the mounts out there all have their share of downsides apparent.

Worth noting the Varia is heavy as lights go at 2.5oz/71g and given the mounting plate is towards the top of the Varia it acts like a cantilever. I notice a lot of movement with the included Garmin mount over rough ground. I think structurally any replacement mount should take this into account.

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

@ms6073 & @Tychom

Take a look here, https://a360.co/2QLzlIA

It is a rear bolt design for a 27.2 Varia seat post mount. It is as solid as it can be without making it 100% solid which would make it very expensive. The design should mitigate most vibrations from rough roads. Because of the size of the actual Garmin mount the width is pretty much dictated. Now I cannot guarantee that you will be able to spread the mount open enough to get past that wide Garmin mount so I will suggest this must be mounted from the bottom of the seat post. My instructions would be like this:
  1. Mark the height of the seat post
  2. Remove the seat post
  3. Slide the mount by inserting from the bottom of the post
  4. Reinstall the seat post
  5. Move the Varia mount to the desired location and insert an M5 X 12/14/16 mm (5 mm X 12/14/16 mm) socket head cap screw and an M5 (5 mm) nylon insert
  6. Lock nut in the recesses on both sides of the mount
  7. Tighten the screw, please do not torque it down tight, it only needs to be as tight as necessary to hold it in place
  8. Mount the Varia and PROFIT
I have no idea how much it might cost since I do not work for Shapeways, but it will depend on the material and just how solid it is.

One more note, DO NOT test fit the Varia before installing the attachment to your bike. The Varia section is very snug (much more than the OEM Garmin mounts) and it will be difficult to fully insert and remove the Varia if it isn'tinstalled on the seat post.

ms6073

by ms6073

Now that is what I am talking about and I am definitely wanting that for both our bikes (Scott Solace and Contessa Solace) as my Fizik ICS mount is becomming somewhat fiddly with age.

You might also consider making it a more univeral design by opting for a a GoPro style mount with that rear bolt clamp? That would take seat post angle out of the equation and the end user could use this for more than just a Varia.

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

I already have a Varia GoPro Mount, but I will design a clamp with a rear bolt location for the GoPro. This one is now up on Shapeways, located here http://shpws.me/RPph

ms6073

by ms6073

Thanks. Besides price, what is the difference between 'Black Natural Versatile Plastic' and 'Multi Jet Fusion Plastic'?

Black Natural Versatile Plastic - 3D printed in black nylon plastic with a matte finish and slight grainy feel.
Black PA12 - 3D printed in nylon 12 material with a matte finish and slightly grainy feel.

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

MJF uses a different printer. HP had a bunch of videos posted on YouTube that shows a small car being lifted by a hook printed on the MJF printer. It is not just nylon powder it is nylon powder with a liquid binder to eliminate any possible voids in the print and it uses smaller layer heights which can more completely fuse the layers together. So MJF is measureably stronger than Versatile and at the same time looks and feel better.

There is a whole paragraph on the listing that says the same thing basically.

by Weenie

ms6073

by ms6073

Thanks. Would like to see your updated design with a rear clamp for the GoPro mount as well.