Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djel

by djel

I'm running the Focus computer mount on my 2020 Izalco but I would like to add a Gopro mount to install a front light. I tried Shapeways but Focus is not as widespread as Cannondale or Specialized and I don't think I will find an off-the-shelf solution...

I have a K-edge Gopro mount which doesn't fit, but I could try to superglue it. I'm just concerned that it won't be strong enough though.

Any ideas?

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

@djel, as long as I know what the dimensions are between those threaded holes I could design something that would screw on from the underside, Post a picture of how your mount is configured as well as the underside of the mount and I can tell you if it is possible.

by Weenie

djel

by djel

WheresWaldo wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:31 am
@djel, as long as I know what the dimensions are between those threaded holes I could design something that would screw on from the underside, Post a picture of how your mount is configured as well as the underside of the mount and I can tell you if it is possible.
The underside has a slightly elevated channel running the lenght of the mount. The computer mount can be mounted either horizontally or vertically so the space between the holes are identical (13mm) and the holes are 2.25mm (used a ruler - not overly precise) in diameter.

Because the underside is not flat, I guess it would be easier to either use 2 holes vertically, or create a dent in the mount to have it sit flush.

Link to Imgur album

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

@dgel, That was a good set of pictures but I need a couple more measurements, I would like the width and depth of the 'rib' that runs along the bottom of the mount, I already have a couple of ideas on how to make something that will work. And for good measure, the distance between the the two sets of 4 screw holes. Also what is the thickness of the mount arm?

djel

by djel

WheresWaldo wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:00 pm
@dgel, That was a good set of pictures but I need a couple more measurements, I would like the width and depth of the 'rib' that runs along the bottom of the mount, I already have a couple of ideas on how to make something that will work. And for good measure, the distance between the the two sets of 4 screw holes. Also what is the thickness of the mount arm?
I've added more photos & measurements Link to Imgur album

Width of the rib = 5mm
Depth of the rib = from 0mm to 1mm (see photo)
Thickness of the arm = 10mm
Distance between the 2 sets of screw holes = 4.25mm (see photo)

The easiest might be to use holes #1 and 2?

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

@djel, give me 48 hours, since I plan to spend time with the family this afternoon and all day tomorrow. I will have something that should work. I will post a link when it's done.

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

@djel,

I had a chance to work on this early, here is a link to what it looks like, it will need two M3 x 6 - 10 mm taper head socket screws (you must provide those) to secure to the bottom of the mount. It uses the two screw holes you specified in your pictures. The GoPro section uses a standard GoPro style M5 thumbscrew and acorn nut, I usually recommend a button head socket screw and a nylon insert lock screw for a more secure and semi-permanent installation. I am only going to make this available in the HP MultiJetFusion PA12 as this is the strongest nylon material available from Shapeways. Here is a link to the design that will allow you in your favorite browser, to circle around the model in a simulated 3D space, https://a360.co/2ZDeWII

Please note I am only a designer and cyclist and that I do not work for Shapeways. If you give me a couple of hours I will be able to upload the design and create a product page for it. I will then post a link where you can purchase the GoPro Adapter. Since I do this design work for no charge, all I ask is that you tell your friends and post a picture here if you can.

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

@djel

It might take me longer to upload the model, Shapeways is having issues with their website and product page creation pages. As soon as they fix the problems I will be able to set up a link for you to purchase the GoPro adapter.

djel

by djel

WheresWaldo wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:48 pm
@djel

It might take me longer to upload the model, Shapeways is having issues with their website and product page creation pages. As soon as they fix the problems I will be able to set up a link for you to purchase the GoPro adapter.
I'm in no rush so no worries! The model looks amazing; do you think it's strong enough to hold a light? It might be slightly heavier than a Gopro.

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

@djel

Yes I do, I only selected HP MultiJetFusion as the printer and material selection. When that printer was made available in 2019 HP posted a bunch of YouTube videos, one showed a small subcompact car being lifted with a hook printed on that printer.

Here is a link for purchase, http://shpws.me/RFqp

When you attach the adapter, make sure you use a bit of blue or green threadlocker on the screws so they don't vibrate loose. Do not use Red or Purple thread lock compound under any circumstances. Also one more note, since there is limited space about the bolts, you will need to use a ball head allen key so that you can fasten the bolt with the key at an angle. Ball heads are lifesavers when you don't have enough room for a regular allen key.

Aeo

by Aeo

djel wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:36 am
I'm running the Focus computer mount on my 2020 Izalco but I would like to add a Gopro mount to install a front light.
Martijn of Fernwee Youtube channel shows a custom Gopro mount here. Someone at Focus has done it, the hard part is to get the right contact and them to send it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiewId1_pm4

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

Aeo wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:18 pm
Martijn of Fernwee Youtube channel shows a custom Gopro mount here. Someone at Focus has done it, the hard part is to get the right contact and them to send it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiewId1_pm4
I would bet real money that they won't just 'send it out' to anyone. More likely, if it is a "real" item, you would need to buy one. :lol:
One offs are not "real" items.

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

Hey all, should have Varia and FLY6ce mounts for the Specialized SL D Seat Post by the end of the day, someone was kind enough to send a seat post cut off. This seat post is used on both the Tarmac and Roubaix models. So if you can use the PAVE seat post you can use my mount. it is a profile match for the clamping area.

WheresWaldo

by WheresWaldo

Here is the first Specialized 'D' SL and Pave seat post Varia mounts, they are profile specific.This the the same post used on both the Tarmac and Roubaix bicycles. ​​​​​​​Here is the Varia mount, http://shpws.me/RM5t

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

I've seen SWAT-Cateye mount on Shapeways, both regular and backward-protruding, but may I request one that retracts and places the light underneath the saddle? (I guess the insertion has to be sideways as well to facilitate placement under the saddle.) It's more aesthetically pleasing to me… :oops:

I know Cateye also offers a saddle rail mount but that bulky plastic clamp weighs 45 grams. Of course that's not acceptable for weight weenies right?

by Weenie