Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@Konsi, give me some rough dimensions and I can make a better estimate of what will work. And a second question, why not just do a short mount that come in from the side attached to the aero extensions? AQ mount from the side would not interfere with the charging location and then there is no issue with what bars or stem you happen to have, since nearly all extenstions follow the 22.2 mm diameter standard.

Reason I ask, pricing at all 3D printers is largely based on volume of material used and the "build envelope" (how much room it takes in the printer). So larger usually means considerably more cost. Build envelope is weigthed higher than material volume in most cases.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Looking for a super lightweight ( still is WW, right?), simple, won’t break the bank mount for my Garmin 1030 and mount up front in my Caloi Uno stem with Ti bolts. Suggestion?? This thread is way too long to read through it if it was already discussed.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@dgasmd,

If you are looking for something that mounts to the front of the stem, using stem longer bolts, I haven't designed any as I am still not convinced that anything other than aluminum is the right material for that purpose. Shapeways is offering a new material using their HP Multi Jet Fusion printers, it is PA12 nylon with glass beads added to the raw materials, supposed to make it "with high stiffness and dimensional stability" according to Shapeways. I don't know much about the material or it's properties to tell if it would be a good solution. Plus it appears to be to add about 10% to the cost of the print over regular MJF PA12.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

WheresWaldo wrote:@dgasmd,

If you are looking for something that mounts to the front of the stem, using stem longer bolts, I haven't designed any as I am still not convinced that anything other than aluminum is the right material for that purpose
That was just an idea, but on the bar bringing out front works too. Frankly, for something that holds so little weight, hold no torque or any force aside from gravity and Garmin’s weight, every single unit I see just seems to be sooooo overbuilt and heavy. I mean, we have 6 grm bottle cages. This shouldn’t be more than 10-15 grm Max!! At least to my untrained eyes n mind. It’s not like they’d be for mtb or riding cobbles!

kode54

by kode54

I would make sure you get something that does secure the Garmin...just in case it bounces out of the mount. I've had it happen twice so far and managed to find the Garmin on the side of the road instead of smashed under a car or truck tire. I had a standard Garmin insert, but before there were two screws holding the insert...there was only one in the middle. That gave way and ejected the Garmin plus the mount insert after hitting a few rough spots.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@dgasmd
Well I already have a mount that should work with the 1030 using aero extensions, It doesn't, however, have a di2 socket underneath. it is located here, http://shpws.me/PdYb

The weight extimate is 11 grams without the nut and bolt. Please note that the estimate is based on mathamatical envelope dimensions and it is likely much lighter since the model does not occupy the entire build envelope.

Konsi

by Konsi

WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:55 pm
@Konsi, give me some rough dimensions and I can make a better estimate of what will work. And a second question, why not just do a short mount that come in from the side attached to the aero extensions? AQ mount from the side would not interfere with the charging location and then there is no issue with what bars or stem you happen to have, since nearly all extenstions follow the 22.2 mm diameter standard.

Reason I ask, pricing at all 3D printers is largely based on volume of material used and the "build envelope" (how much room it takes in the printer). So larger usually means considerably more cost. Build envelope is weigthed higher than material volume in most cases.
Hello,

Having thought about it again, I'll probably go with a mount for the triathlon bars. I will likely have to take the extensions off from time to time, if event rules require it, but it seems that mounting the junction box under the stem, probably with this https://www.shapeways.com/product/LR8QV ... d=56555510 , or glueing it to the stem, and using two Garmin mounts (one for the bars, one for the extensions) is more flexible and reasonable.

In which direction does the junction box face using this holder/mount?

Thank you for you answer!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:52 pm
@dgasmd
Well I already have a mount that should work with the 1030 using aero extensions, It doesn't, however, have a di2 socket underneath. it is located here, http://shpws.me/PdYb

The weight extimate is 11 grams without the nut and bolt. Please note that the estimate is based on mathamatical envelope dimensions and it is likely much lighter since the model does not occupy the entire build envelope.
Thanks. Went to the link and it says it requires 2 other things, but I didn't see there where to source those 2 things. I just want something I can simply put the garmin on, twist, and go. What exactly is this missing then? Sorry for the lack of knowledge on this, but it is not something I frankly have looked into before. I did buy an aftermarket one once, and it was I just described above (and heavy LOL...).

Oh, and I don't need anything else to go on it aside from the Garmin.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

dgasmd wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:30 pm
WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:52 pm
@dgasmd

Thanks. Went to the link and it says it requires 2 other things, but I didn't see there where to source those 2 things. I just want something I can simply put the garmin on, twist, and go. What exactly is this missing then? Sorry for the lack of knowledge on this, but it is not something I frankly have looked into before. I did buy an aftermarket one once, and it was I just described above (and heavy LOL...).

Oh, and I don't need anything else to go on it aside from the Garmin.
The other two items are a nut and bolt. You can buy them from any local hardware store or Home Depot.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Sorry that was hastily written, what you need to provide is a 4mm x 15mm bolt and 4mm nylon insert locking nut. they can be of any type of material, If you go the the local hardware store they may have bins of them. If you want a Ti or Aluminum bolt (both will work because of the light device weight), you will need to find an online place to order them like Torontocycles or Probolt.

The Garmin mounts exactly like any other Garmin mount except that it is inserted 45° skew instead of 90° skew and then twist it 45° and you are done.

FYI, my mounts are eighth-turn so that some devices (space permitting) can be mounted in either landscape or portrait modes without having to buy two mounts.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

WheresWaldo wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:18 pm
Sorry that was hastily written, what you need to provide is a 4mm x 15mm bolt and 4mm nylon insert locking nut. they can be of any type of material, If you go the the local hardware store they may have bins of them. If you want a Ti or Aluminum bolt (both will work because of the light device weight), you will need to find an online place to order them like Torontocycles or Probolt.

The Garmin mounts exactly like any other Garmin mount except that it is inserted 45° skew instead of 90° skew and then twist it 45° and you are done.

FYI, my mounts are eighth-turn so that some devices (space permitting) can be mounted in either landscape or portrait modes without having to buy two mounts.
Thanks for letting me know. I will look into it and maybe order a couple of them.
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:10 pm
The other two items are a nut and bolt. You can buy them from any local hardware store or Home Depot.
Thanks. For some reason reading it from your reply I see it is likely just the bolt and nut that hold it to the bars. Duh.....Not sure why I thought it was for something else :unbelievable:

commendatore

by commendatore

Hey WheresWaldo - Would you be able to do a k-edge undermount for the Bontrager Ion 200? Similar to what you have done for the exposure tracer here, but at 0 degrees:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/WAFGF ... d=65539814

I see you already have a Bontrager Ion GoPro adapter, so perhaps it is relatively simple? Ideally I would like to set the Ion rearwards a bit, so it extends minimally past the front of the k-edge. Orientation would need the light to mount upside down, so the power button is accessible. I'm happy to provide any measurements for clearance.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@commendatore

send me some pictures of how you want it set up and I'll see what I can come up with in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Mep

by Mep

Not sure if this has been asked before - have you ever considered making a Trek Madone control center? Specifically the mechanical version, but without the clunky cable adjuster, so it'd be just a plate with knobs for threading the cables. I imagine this would weigh much less than Trek's version, and it needs only be strong enough to withstand the compression forces from derailleur cables.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@Mep,
I usually don't try to compete directly with items sold by OEMs. Don't like getting calls from the guys in blue suits.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com