Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@kode54, if it is truly K-Edge compatible then the two holes are 20 mm apart sized for an M3 flat head socket screw. if you are using it with a Garmin then I already have a K-Edge Di2 Interface. Since the screws for using a Wahoo Fitness device are offset 90°, I never made an Interface for the Wahoo/Di2 combination because the mounting screws would interfere with the Junction 'A' mounting ears. If I offset the mount rearward some, I could make a custom version just for that particular mount.

I just went back and just checked something I had done a while ago. Apparently anticpating a Wahoo Interface for the K-Edge I made a Di2 Interface that uses longer screws and nuts to hold it in place, I don't remember if I uploaded it to Shapeways and I can't look there at the moment. The model is here so you can see what I mean about the longer screws and nuts needed to hold it in place. https://a360.co/2Lzftny

kode54

by kode54

that's great...although i think it uses countersunk bolts from the bottom upwards...not locknuts for screwing from top down.

the edge of the round insert doesn't have to be radiused...can be chamfered (45 degree cut). thx!

edit: since it doesn't fit within a specified round area...the thickness of the base can be as thin as the countersunk bolt area.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@kode54, I think you need to look at this picture better,
It appears to me that the Garmin interface shown mounts exactly the same way on the Enve that it does on a normal K-Edge, two M3 flat top socket head screws down through the Interface itself threaded into the aluminum arm. The issue you run into is that while the Garmin screws are along the arm axis, Wahoo chose to rotate their mount 90° so those same two screws are perpendicular to the arm axis.
The Di2 interface is almost as long as the entire area of the K-Edge interface, and you don't want the Junction 'A' to sit sideways so for Wahoo installations the screws are competing for the same securing locations. It is interesting that the bottom is stamped with the words "NOT COMBO COMPATIBLE" I am thinking that either this picture was of a prototype or since the only combo interface K-Edge makes is for a GoPro they don't want people hanging some heavy device from the bottom. The second is what I am thinking since there is only one attachment point to the stem/bars. The Di2 Junction 'A' even in a 5 port version weighs next to nothing, It should not affect the lever in any significant manner.

I suppose, we can wait to see just how well the other interfaces you bought work (the ones sans nut). Then I can redesign this so you just use a longer flat head M3 and cut the threads with those screws directly into the Di2 Interface plastic. We both agree that the Junction 'A' weighs nothing, so just threading into the plastic may be enough.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@kode54

I decided to play with the model some here is what I ended up with. Not as thin as the other ENVE mount but almost. It does require you to replace the two screws with two that protrude out the bottom no more than 2 mm. The screws will need to cut their own threads into the nylon. There are actually 4 holes in this model, which you will be able to see if you turn it upside down. This way it works on both Garmin or Wahoo Interface equiped ENVE mounts. https://a360.co/2spE2KT. Despite what is printed on the underside of this mount, I have high confidence this will work.
I will probably only make this available in the Professional Plastic; gray or black only at the moment, unless someone really needs in in color. I have not uploaded it to Shapeways yet.

kode54

by kode54

thx Bud,

according to Enve, all four screws are tapped. so that a K-Edge GoPro adapter can fit underside (second pic). with the thickness you show in the gray plastic above...you have the room to put a bevel countersunk hole...which then screws underneath the new Enve mount in the correct orientation (as you have it here without the countersunk and slightly larger hole needed to bolt up). with that modification to this gray one (countersunk with larger diameter holes)...it will work for me. possible? thx!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

Bud,

just one more thing...the orientation that Enve shows on top is for the Garmin 1/4 turn. if I had a Wahoo...i can see your point on orientation...it would be in the same screw holes as bolting from bottom up. Given that i'm using a Garmin with the above, you can leave the 2 hidden holes that self-thread...but make adjustments to the 2 OPEN holes for a countersunk bolt and correct hole size for NON-self threading. thx again.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

i ordered the mounts...but production may only be ramping up...as i have not received any shipping info from Enve. I did ask someone at Enve if the holes are tapped all the way through...and they said yes. and like you question...not sure why it says NON COMBO COMPATIBLE...and I was told that the weight of a GoPro camera may not be well secured with the one bolt that attaches to the Enve aero stem. i'm also certain that they put that on there as a liability for those that do try to put a combo on and make a claim for the GoPro when it goes flying off onto the asphalt after trying to stay put with one bolt.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

If you are using it with the Garmin then the one already on Shapeways will work. For some reason I thought you had a Wahoo Fitness device. Before you order I did modify the design ever so slightly, let me upload a new version first. I will let you know when it is done.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Streamlined version for K-Edge and that ENVE mount using K-Edge interfaces is uploaded, http://shpws.me/GDMP
Last edited by WheresWaldo on Wed May 30, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kode54

by kode54

Bud, you are amazing.

thx for this. yes...Wahoo orientation is different. but if you leave the hidden self threading holes underneath, you should be able to use a longer M4 in there with no issues.

much appreciated. ordering 2. will take pictures once installed.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@kode54, Make sure you remember they are M3 not M4 screws. And, the extra set of holes are there.
Last edited by WheresWaldo on Wed May 30, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kode54

by kode54

oh, right...M3.

thx!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Bud.... I had the TT bike and the camera out for some pics today. I snapped a few of the mount you made for me.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Rich, is that the Professional Plastic? How is the fit? Was the clamp section okay to snap around the extension? Sorry for all the questions.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

WheresWaldo wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:51 am
Rich, is that the Professional Plastic? How is the fit? Was the clamp section okay to snap around the extension? Sorry for all the questions.
Bud.. that is the "black natural versatile plastic"... the cheapest option. The fit is great. I got exactly what you told me to get in terms of allen bolt and lock nut sizes and it worked perfectly. The clamp section opened up easily and popped around the extension. I didn't feel like I was gonna break it at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com