Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Let me see if I can answer all the questions and address the concerns in one response.
First let me say that I did mention that it needs to be tweaked, now that I have some time, I see it needs a lot of tweaking. Maybe this is why no one else has done this yet!

Here is a render of what the mount would look like with a BOLT on it (angled so you can see the issues).

The BOLT requires a twist of approximately 68° from insertion to locking in place. You should be able to see that with 5 cm from center to center there simply isn't enough room even if the clamp were not in the way.

The clamp, I am not sure how good it works but I did build an out-front mount for another cyclist on these forums that uses the same mechanism, Try sending @nathanong87 a PM and ask him how the out-front mount works and if he had issues getting it around the bars. The Extension bar is smaller so I might need to thin them a bit. The nylon is flexible until you have around 4 mm of thickness then it is incredibly rigid.

I can't build in a hinge and the reason I don't initially make the clamps in two parts is that Shapeways (as with most print services) hates multi-part prints because it requires more human interaction. And if they lose a part they generally just reject the print instead of reprinting it. I can put the two parts together with a ring that will hold them during printing and polishing.

About the bottom cover, there are several reasons I don't include it and people like Raceware don't use it.
  1. It adds to the cost of the print, and is just another part that Shapeways has to keep track of.
  2. There is literally no way for me to tether it to the other parts, so it is treated as a separate piece with an increase in human handling and associated cost increase.
  3. Raceware doesn't use it because they build their mount out of solid nylon with the entire form modeled in place, it is heavier and more costly to do it this way, we are Weight Weenies after all.
  4. Until recently there was no way to match the smooth surface of the original mount, so in an effort to look more finished when the mount is on the bike, I resorted to reusing the bottom cover, Professional Plastic may solve that issue.
Here is what I think I can do, make the center to center 6 cm and not 5 cm, this should get a jump on creating more room to insert and remove the BOLT device. Remodel the clamp to be two separate pieces so that maybe it won't interfere with the twisting requirement. Make a separate bottom cover model that is only available in Shapeways Professional Plastic (smooth and semi-glossy). A separate model might be a good thing since I can build in a GoPro mount in a version for those people that think GoPros and aero belong in the same sentence. I do not want to duplicate what Raceware did with their mount, my own personal opinion was that it is a wasteful design using too much raw material, and doesn't serve the weightweenie community as well as one with hollowed out areas. Let me think on it for 24 hours to see if I can still be creative about this. If anyone else has any ideas be sure to PM me or just post in this thread, I am very open to suggestions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Bud... what if you elimnated the drop and put the mount height equal to the top of the aero extension? The real issue I have with the current mount is the closeness to the extension and the current height. The 5cm distance will put it in bwenteen my arms and the mounting height will come down just due to the fact that I'll be putting the Wahoo directing into the mount, as opposed the current mount which uses an interchangeable puck system so you can mount different models of computer.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

WheresWaldo wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:00 am
Make a separate bottom cover model that is only available in Shapeways Professional Plastic (smooth and semi-glossy). A separate model might be a good thing since I can build in a GoPro mount in a version for those people that think GoPros and aero belong in the same sentence.
My thought was a seeprat piece for the bottom cover, sold seperately. The mounts are entirely useable without them, so buyers could opt to go without and save $ and weight, or go with and be most aero. As far as the limitiations of the materials, I don't know enough to make any jusgement.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@CrankAddictsRich Yeah I can do that, make it more level or maybe just a small drop that would make the clamping section easier to design.

With regard to the bottom cover, my concern was not the actual material used. I am nearly 100% certain that Strong & Flexible (now called Versatile Plastic) is PA11 and the HP Multi Jet (now called Professional Plastic) uses PA12.

To make it more simple, it is just a different formulation but very similar in properties. My issue was not so much with the material, it was with the surface finish. Versatile Plastic in black is not polished at all. It is dyed after cooling and cleaning only. Shapeways claims that polishing resulted in black not always coming out black. The fuzzy surface texture is evident even from normal viewing distances if it has a polished part next to it. They then introduced a method of multiple dyeing, polishing, dyeing, polishing to make the surface quality better, that is Premium Versatile Plastic.

Professional plastic because of the method used to print and the associated decrease in layer height results in a much smoother surface right from the printer. Professional Plastic is also sealed in some way, I am not sure how and when that is accomplished, whether part of the actual print process (probably) or applied afterwards (doubtful).

I will work on a modified version.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@CrankAddictsRich
I have done some work on the TT mount today, it actually will work and didn't come out prohibitively expensive, In any of the Processed (formally polished) colors & Natural Black it will likely be under $32 USD. The Premium Black and the Professional Black or Gray shoot the price up to just under $60 USD. Of course when I finalize the models I can get more exact.

Here is a link to the 3D rendering, https://a360.co/2s7uioP.

I haven't had time yet to model the bottom cover, should have something by tomorrow.

The clamping area is now in two pieces just like my seatpost mounts, the recess in the top for the M3 socket head cap screw and the bottom for the nylon insert lock nut will fully hide the mounting hardware and keep it out of the wind (as tiny as they are). The bolt size needed is M3 x 11 or M3 x 12, eleven is perfect size so thjat the bolt does not protrude out the bottom of the clamp, twelve will protude aproximately 1 mm.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Bud..... I'm not thrilled with the look of the duak bolt. I sent Nathan a message to see what he thinks about slipping it around the bar through the crack.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

No problem, will hold off while I work on the bottom covers. Besides I think the one piece clamp is so much cleaner looking.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Okay, so I actually went ahead and tried it with the mount higher, take a look, this one is much nicer than the others. At least I want to think so. an M3 x 8 mm socket head cap screw and a regular M3 nut will hide completely in the mount. 3D view, https://a360.co/2KHGwfj

Last edited by WheresWaldo on Tue May 22, 2018 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Rich, my wife just got home from working late, I will upload it in the morning.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

So it is uploaded and it came out a bit better on pricing than I originally estimated. I also have two version of the BOLT Aero Mount bottom cover both with and without a GoPro mount integrated into the bottom.

kode54

by kode54

Hey Bud...

Enve just came out with a new aero stem...with K-Edge type of mounting for underneath.
so after making ones for the old computer mount...i need one for the new aero style one.

any chance you can modify one to put Di2 junction A under the new Enve aero computer mount?
https://enve.com/products/aero-road-ste ... ter-mount/

thx.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com