Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TonyM

by TonyM

Nothing in particular. I just thought that maybe someone would have found a good idea to get rid of seeing this interface attached with the rubber bands around the stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Just finished up a new paddle style mount for Wahoo Fitness with a GoPro underneath. It will work with nearly all handlebar/stem combo that is tapped for M3 bolts on the bottom side.
Wahoo GoPro Combo Paddle Mount

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

New announcement today from Shapeways. They have enabled prints from the new HP Multi Jet Fusion Printers for public purchase. If you must have a part in black or gray and you want it to look finished, then this is your best choice of materials. The nylon powder used in the HP printer is black or gray and the color is then all the way though the part, unlike the Versatile Plastic which as a raw material is a white powder then dyed after printing in the other colors. The Premium Black Versatile Plastic is still the same white base but polished and dyed in multiple steps to get an eggshell like finish. The HP printer produces a part that is stronger, smoother and semi-glossy right out of the printer. The pricing for the Professional Plastic is the same as the Premium Versatile Plastic.

My personal preference is always order in any other color than black, but from now on if it must be black or gray will be the Professional Plastic.

I plan on adding this new material to all my models but that will take some time. If there is something you guys are looking for and I haven't gotten to it yet, just let me know and I will jump on it to enable Professional Plastic.

Also in this announcement were name changes (new name = old name)
  • Natural Versatile Plastic = Strong and Flexible
  • Processed Versatile Plastic = Strong and Flexible Polished
  • Professional Plastic (new) = HP Multi Jet Fusion Nylon

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I have a Shapeways Garmin to Wahoo Mount, which i use on my best bike, however, when I take the Wahoo off the bike, it always stays attached to it, which is a pain, especially as I also use the wahoo on my commute mount (on the original wahoo mount)

My question is, is it ok to glue the shapeways mount to my garmin mount so it stays put, will the force of twisting the wahoo off each time be a problem? Planning on using Gorilla Glue

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@stevec1975

Yes it is perfectly fine to glue it to your existing mount. I puirposely made the model to fit exactly because there is a tolerance in the printing process, sometimes it is slightly oversize sometimes slightly undersized. It cannot be helped because of the printing process and the materail being used. Obvisouly both situations are not ideal, but I would rather have slight undersize than oversize. We don't want the device to rattle or worse fall off. What I have found is that repeated twisting (but I mean too many to do in a few sittings, more like 100's) on and off will wear the mount just a bit to make the mounting process easier.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Thanks @WheresWaldo. The glue I am using states it is not suitable for polyethylene or polypropylene plastics. I take it the shapeways mounts are not this type of plastic right?

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

The material used is Polyamide so double check, I know that adhesives like BondIt (UV cured acrylic resin) and Loctite 401 and 414 will work well, Henkel actually provide a chart about what Locktite products work with what plastics in this PDF, http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/us/conte ... _v6_LR.pdf. Pages 36 & 37 list Polyamide.

kode54

by kode54

hey Bud,

got the 3D part. perfect fit in all ways. trimmed the excess nubs off to make it fit in my orientation.

here are a few photos...
https://flic.kr/p/KbB9z9
https://flic.kr/p/HEo6W6
https://flic.kr/p/HEo6S8
https://flic.kr/p/KbB9qG
https://flic.kr/p/KbB9nA

thx for all the help. i wish that the Professional Plastic was available when i ordered. i just colored the white trimmed areas with a Sharpie.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Even better for the next time you need something. With color all the way through. I was told that the plan for Professional Plastic was to offer darker colors like Navy and Forrest Green in the future besides the Black and Gray.

Those pictures are fantastic, I am glas I got it right the first time around.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Bud... I think I've got an idea for a mount that I'd like for my TT bike. It would be for the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt with the aero shaping of the Bolt mount. The arm would come in from the side but would angle down, so that the mount sat lower, flush with the bars instead of being raised like it is in the pictures below.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Rich, that is totally possible, I can't get to it until Monday I have a server build and restore to do tomorrow. All I really need to know is the measurement from the center of the extension arm to the certer of the mount, and how low do you need it angled. I will assume the standard TT Extenstion diameter of 22.2 mm

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

WheresWaldo wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:10 am
Rich, that is totally possible, I can't get to it until Monday I have a server build and restore to do tomorrow. All I really need to know is the measurement from the center of the extension arm to the certer of the mount, and how low do you need it angled. I will assume the standard TT Extenstion diameter of 22.2 mm
Yes, 22.2mm diameter. 5cm from center of extension to center of mount. I'm not sure how to measure the angle, but basically, I'd like the mounting area to be the same height as the center of the extension. that should drop the Elemnt Bolt down enough that it would sit fush with the top height of the extension and be out of the way from my arm.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:32 pm
Yes, 22.2mm diameter. 5cm from center of extension to center of mount. I'm not sure how to measure the angle, but basically, I'd like the mounting area to be the same height as the center of the extension. that should drop the Elemnt Bolt down enough that it would sit fush with the top height of the extension and be out of the way from my arm.

Take a 3D look at the following link, https://a360.co/2KHGwfj

Is this about what you are looking for? Wahoo Fitness says the BOLT is 22 mm thick. The mount in this case sits about 7 mm below the centerline of the extension, so the top of the BOLT should be just 5 mm above the top of the extension bars. It still uses the original mount underside cover.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Bud... that looks awesome. The only potential issue I see are clearance of the back fo the unit as it drops into the mount slot and twists... and how will the mount fit around the aero extension. The current barlfy unit I'm using now has a hinge built in. Is the plastic flexible enough that it'll spread to open around the diamter of the extension?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

WheresWaldo wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:41 pm
It still uses the original mount underside cover.
You're not gonna beleive this.... I dind't realize that there was an underside cover that came off on the original mount until I read this, just now. Is there a way for you to make more of these? I'd buy additional ones for the Bolt Fizik mounts you've already made me. Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com