Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kode54

by kode54

sounds great. if i can't get past the 3D printing...i won't bother with the calibration.

but like you said, if i'm using it as a comparative device...seeing which spoke has what tension, that will indicate to me which spoke is or needs more tension most likely.

thx for this info.
WheresWaldo wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:45 pm
@kode54

The big issue is that you need to calibrate the spring used. Then it will work like the DT Swiss with as much accuracy. It can be used 'as is' if it is used as a comparative device without calibration. You won't know the exact tension that way, but you will know if it is even all the way across the wheel.

I am working on a self buildable calibration device. There are many ways to skin this cat.

With regard to printing this on Shapeways, I think that would be cost prohibitive because of the size. On Thingiverse page, there is a button under the pictures that is labeled Apps. Under the Apps section there are places that will print it for you. I have never used these places so I don't know what the going ratres are. A better solution is to ask around your circle of friends, someone is bound to have a 3D printer and ask them to print the files for you. Your better friends will do it for free, some might ask to recoup the cost of materials. It is only two parts that are printed. If that doesn't work, look for a place that is called a MakerSpace (https://makerspaces.make.co/) in your town or city. They will have many machines including 3D printers to help you make stuff. Makerspaces will also have people there that want to help.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kophinos

by kophinos

@WheresWaldo
I would be more than happy to follow your instructions to trace, or somehow model the diminsions for you. A cutoff is not outside the relm of possibiliites, but I'd have to think that one through a bit before making any rash decisions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@kophinos

Although I have had very little luck getting bike manufacturers to return emails, maybe you as an owner can contact Cervelo and ask for the aero seat post dimensions. I usually try to link them to my page on Shapeways to show them I am doing their customers a service (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/revolutionaries). They might be more inclined to give you the profile dimensions then it would be a very simple process to model a mount.

I have contactred Cervelo directly using their web page contact form, I will let you know if I get any response. In the meantime we should assume that I will either not receive a good response or that they will simply ignore the request, and shouild proceed with you providing what you can.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@kophinos,

Here is the reply I got from Cervelo,
I have passed your information along to our engineering department.

Have a great day,

Sincerely

Owen
Cervélo Customer Support

kophinos

by kophinos

@WheresWaldo
I went ahead and contact them as well. What sort of measurements could I provide you? I have a digital caliper set, the seat post is D-shaped.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Basically, I need a tracing of the bottom with dimensions across the largest sections as well as an estimate of the curvature of both the leading edge as well as the back two corners.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

I have gotten much further along and have a working version of the Spoke Tensiometer Calibration Rig. It is still missing a part (Thrust Bearing) and there are a couple of things I would change but here it is:

In the picture above the spoke is being pulled with 102.7 kg so the spoke tension is 1000 newtons. I double checked my Park Tool TM-1 chart together with my rarely used TM-1 and it was close. The TM-1 was one marking too low with a 1.8 mm spoke. So here is the parts list.
  • 2 - 2020 Series x 200 mm T-Slot
  • 2 - 2020 Series x 500 mm T-Slot
  • 4 - 2020 Series Corners (or 3D printed equivalents)
  • 8 - M5 x 10 mm Button Head Screws
  • 8 - M5 T-Slot Nuts
  • 1 - M8 x 35 mm Button Head Screw
  • 1 - M8 Washer
  • 1 - M8 Flat Thumbscrew
  • 1 - M8 x 200 mm Threaded Rod
  • 1 - M8 Hex Bolt
  • 2 - M8 Acorn Nuts
  • 1 - 8 mm Roller Thrust Bearing
  • 2 - M8 Clevis Rod Ends
  • Small Crane Scale (150 kg or more capacity)
  • 1 - Brass Spoke Nipple
  • Some 3D Printed Parts
This list will build the model with the items I would do differently. The difference is that the pictured version uses an M6 Threaded Rod and that should change to an M8 or M10. It is not a strength issue, it is a space issue. Besides this you need a few drill bits and a way to drill straight holes. Some Allen Head Hex Wrenches and some time to print the 3D parts and putting it all together. Total cost building this was under $80 USD.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Hey, this is just a heads up for anybody that buys or uses Shapeways. They are going to be doing a big shakeup on their cost structure on Jan 31st from what I have been reading on their forums the smallest items will get a minimum cost charge, this charge will result in an average increase of 15% for all those models. Any model you upload or buy that is already above the minimum cost structure will see approximately a 10% average increase in pricing. Shapeways has said that the cost increases are necessary to 1. fit their actual cost structure better, 2. to bring it in line with other competing services, 3. to stay in business. I will be shutting down my Shapeways page on Jan 31st and reopening it on Feb 2nd or 3rd depending on if I can get through all my models and variations during that time.

The bottom line, if you are anticipating buying a mount from me soon, do it before January 31st. If you want to try printing something yourself, it is already too late, the new pricing structure went into affect for newly uploaded models last month, but stuff already there is still at the old cost structure.

garage0racing

by garage0racing

I like Fizik saddles and I also like the idea of the ics mount, but I hate the Fizik saddle bags. Could you design a co2 and inner tube carrier for a ics mount? Co2 only?

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@garage0racing, it is possible, I need a few days to think about how I would do it.

garage0racing

by garage0racing

WheresWaldo wrote:@garage0racing, it is possible, I need a few days to think about how I would do it.
Awesome! Appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@garage0racing

How about something like this, https://a360.co/2D5Vn2c

Please move around the model, use the browser tools to take a few measurements. The cartridges pictured are 16g and they should fit between the rails without touching, either the rails or each other. The cartidges can be screwed in from either side. Obviously it is for screw in cartridges only.

kode54

by kode54

Nice design Bud!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

garage0racing

by garage0racing

WheresWaldo wrote:@garage0racing

How about something like this, https://a360.co/2D5Vn2c

Please move around the model, use the browser tools to take a few measurements. The cartridges pictured are 16g and they should fit between the rails without touching, either the rails or each other. The cartidges can be screwed in from either side. Obviously it is for screw in cartridges only.
Wow! This is EXACTLY what I had in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@garage0racing,

What I need is for you to take a few measurements on the link I provided and make sure it will fit between the rails on a Fizik saddle and that there is room to actually snap the part into the ICS slot.