Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@jfranci3

All I can do is point you to the Hewlett Packard demos of their Multi Jet Fusion printers. But I would say the prints would be very strong in your application which would place the spacers under compression.
https://youtu.be/YUkvC59vidw
https://www.protolabs.com/resources/blo ... sintering/

The size you specified is not a normal size for most spacers, that is why you aren't finding anything inexpensive. Unfortuneately 3D printing them wouldn't be cheap either, because the tech is not ubiquiteous enough to drive prices down, if you can go to 16 mm - 19 mm on the outside then you can get an off the self spacer from places like McMaster-Carr online.

Just to give you some perspective a single spacer printed with the HP Multi Jet Fusion with the dimensions of 12 mm OD x 9 mm ID x 5 mm would about $18, two spacers using the design trick of a sprue to hold them together would be about $20 per pair, four using the same trick about $22 for all four. Spacers attached with a sprue can be easily separated using flush cutters. This is for a simple spacer, if it is flared or has a flange the overall cost will only be marginally impacted (pennies).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Thanks.
I think I'm going to have to get creative here then.
The rack has a nice lockable but easily removable 9mm skewer and a nice 15mm TA mode. If I can get the right inserts, I can have an easy to use skewered 12mm setup or machine down the 15mm mode to 12mm.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Since Trek cannot leave well enough alone, the new Madone SLR uses a different method to attach the rear derailleur compared to the Madone SL. I have an adapter for a Garmin Varia that uses the existing reflector amount. I also have a GoPro mount that replaces the reflector mount in total. Should be available soon.
Madone SLR GoPro Mount

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Got a few images of the Trek Madone SLR Varia Adapter in use.

How it is mounted.

Uses existing hardware.

Centers the Varia on the SLR seat mast (unlike the off-center reflector this replaces).

The adapter in black Professional Plastic.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

A few more items on my Shapeways page for the new Trek Madone SLR. Now have a FLY6ce mount that uses the same rear reflector bracket as the Varia mount and a GoPro mount that replaces the reflector bracket. Your Madone SLR should come with the rear reflector bracket installed or at the very least in the box. if not the Trek part number is W557631

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

This is a heads up for people on the fence about getting something from Shapeways. I have been informed that there will be a new pricing structure in effect. All new models will be at the new pricing and old models are grandfathered into the old pricing structure until the end of the year. The new structure will see increases of between 5% to 15% depending on several factors that are still a bit unclear. So if you are wanting something from Shapeways, not just my stuff, it is time to get it now before the new pricing goes into effect.

ms6073

by ms6073

Can you make this clamp design for the 27.2 round varia seat post mounts?

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@ms6073, you mean this http://shpws.me/MuAv

ms6073

by ms6073

WheresWaldo wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:36 pm
@ms6073, you mean this http://shpws.me/MuAv
Yes. Would be nice to see the clamp below updated to use single clamp point in the image from my post above as the side 'flanges' can cause wear on knickers/bibs if the Varia is attached high on the post and the rider has a narrow stance.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@ms6073

I will take this under advisement, but in reality on a 27.2 mm seat post the overall dimension at the "ears" is 42 mm. The narrowest Varia is the RT510 which is 39.6 mm wide (The older RT500 is 44 mm wide, so actually wider than the overall 27.2 clamp). I am not really finding any justification to do the work involved for 1.2 mm per side, and zero benefit for older Varia units.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

If you have your own 3D printer and want to dabble or are an accomplished wheel-builder here is a tool you can use. A 3D printed spoke tension meter, all parts are listed in the Thingiverse item, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3209607. It works and all files may be used freely under Creative Commons license. Also including in the Thing page are STEP and Fusion360 files for anyone that want to modify the files themselves. There are only two printed parts in the entire meter.

While not really intended to be sturdy enough for shop use, it is very workable for the home wheel-builder. The example below was printed with PLA with 25% infill and I will likely print another in PETG with a bit more infill.

kophinos

by kophinos

What are the chances I could get a Garmin quater turn mount for the new Varia radar tailight and the new Cervelo R5 (2018 edition)? It has a proprieatary D-shaped seatpost and the stock Garmin one is a pisspoor option.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@kophinos
There are only a couple of ways for this to happen. One would be for you to trace the outline of the seatpost and carefully measuer along various points that I could show you. The other way, which is usually more accurate would be for me to get a cutoff from the bottom of the seat post and I can measure and test fit myself. Bike manufacturers I have contacted are not inclined to provide me with any measurements themselves, so I have to reverse engineer all the profiles for Aero seat posts.
Last edited by WheresWaldo on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kode54

by kode54

this is interesting. nice job on this.

what if i don't have a 3D printer? can you print these and sell them on shapeway?

how accurate is the measurement?
WheresWaldo wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:42 am
If you have your own 3D printer and want to dabble or are an accomplished wheel-builder here is a tool you can use. A 3D printed spoke tension meter, all parts are listed in the Thingiverse item, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3209607. It works and all files may be used freely under Creative Commons license. Also including in the Thing page are STEP and Fusion360 files for anyone that want to modify the files themselves. There are only two printed parts in the entire meter.

While not really intended to be sturdy enough for shop use, it is very workable for the home wheel-builder. The example below was printed with PLA with 25% infill and I will likely print another in PETG with a bit more infill.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@kode54

The big issue is that you need to calibrate the spring used. Then it will work like the DT Swiss with as much accuracy. It can be used 'as is' if it is used as a comparative device without calibration. You won't know the exact tension that way, but you will know if it is even all the way across the wheel.

I am working on a self buildable calibration device. There are many ways to skin this cat.

With regard to printing this on Shapeways, I think that would be cost prohibitive because of the size. On Thingiverse page, there is a button under the pictures that is labeled Apps. Under the Apps section there are places that will print it for you. I have never used these places so I don't know what the going ratres are. A better solution is to ask around your circle of friends, someone is bound to have a 3D printer and ask them to print the files for you. Your better friends will do it for free, some might ask to recoup the cost of materials. It is only two parts that are printed. If that doesn't work, look for a place that is called a MakerSpace (https://makerspaces.make.co/) in your town or city. They will have many machines including 3D printers to help you make stuff. Makerspaces will also have people there that want to help.