Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

xterrastrial wrote:Thx for the quick reply. Are you saying that if I bought a Bolt and sent you the included aero mount that you could make a similar mount that integrates smoothly with the Bolt but attaches by the "go pro" style mount (instead of the handlebar clamp? If so, I might just do that.

Basically yes, I would send you back the mount after a few days, as that is what it takes me to measure it and duplicate the measurements and test print. Are you in the U.S.?

glepore

by glepore

I have an unused bolt mount if someone wants to pay shipping to Waldo.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xterrastrial

by xterrastrial

glepore wrote:I have an unused bolt mount if someone wants to pay shipping to Waldo.

I live in Vancouver so may be easier for someone in the US to send the mount. I'm happy to pay for shipping the used Bolt out front mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

Bud, send me a pm w your shipping address and I'll send you an unused Bolt mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Done

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@glepore

If you haven't sent the Aero mount, don't. I already have a model of it

This is just a non-usable sub-assembly. I have to add the mounting section for whatever mount someone is looking for. It is not 100% identical to the Wahoo mount. It isn't symmetrical from left to right the retaining bolt was maintained for those that need it. Wahoo uses a threaded insert for that retaining bolt, since I can't the threads will cut themselves into the bottom of the mount (it is nylon after all). It uses the original cover and M1.6 bolt. Small modifications needed to be made to account for printer constraints.

You guys here are the first to see it.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Done!

You have to supply what Wahoo Fitness calls the COVER:MOUNT as well as the Socket head cap screw M1.6 x 8 mm that comes on the original OEM mount. It is designed to replicate the Blendr Low Garmin Mount and will place the BOLT close to the bars and below the level of the bar tops. Tomorrow I will work on the High mount version of this mount, so you can have the same choice that Garmin users have.

Please note that when you get one in black the surface texture will feel fuzzy. That will not change until Shapeways starts using the HP PolyJet 3D printers or brings back polished parts. All other colors are polished so their finish is more satin-like. Please do not complain to me I can't do anything about it, complain directly to Shapeways.

glepore

by glepore

Very nice. I won't ship mine, although the postage was printed...

Having held the actual mount, I have to say that unless I was on a full out tt rig, the aero gains from that mount have to be very small. Still look totally cool. If I didn't run a front light on a gopro adapter under my mount, I'd be all over this.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Yeah, sorry about the postage. I forgot that Wahoo Fitness puts all their mounts in the public domain, so I just needed to download the actual mount, cut off the parts I didn't need, modify the features that wouldn't be printable, and then graft the Bontrager Blendr mount to it. Smooth most of the edges and there you go. Took about 4 hours of work even with a head start. I don't know what Wahoo Fitness used as the original CAD program, but it wasn't Fusion 360 so it was actually pretty hard to separate the features.

Here is a link for it on Shapeways.
Last edited by WheresWaldo on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glepore

by glepore

There's a fairly active user's group on google (its actually the elemnt group). You should put a link up there...

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

glepore wrote:There's a fairly active user's group on google (its actually the elemnt group). You should put a link up there...

On their github, they ask for people doing stuff with the files, but I am not a member of that group and I am not sure if they would like the fact that I am selling printed models. I did get some grief at BikeForums when I started a thread there a couple of years ago, but had a really nice exchange with one of the admins and he realized I am just one guy, doing something I love and am not going to be the next feature on "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" (that reference should really date me). I am quite okay with someone else putting up a link. That is what I had to do on the Garmin forums. They hate 3rd party anything there.

xterrastrial

by xterrastrial

Waldo - Thanks for doing this! I'll be ordering the High Mount version (seems closest to the BMC system) ... oh, and getting a Bolt too. :-)

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Done! Now both high and low mounts are in the same listing. Shapeways has limited categories for product variants so I had to make due with SMALL and MEDIUM. SMALL is for the Blendr High mount (matching the corresponding Garmin High type) and MEDIUM is for the Blendr Low mount (again matches the corresponding Garmin type). Make sure you pick the right one.
Wahoo BOLT Aero Bontrager Blendr Mounts

xterrastrial

by xterrastrial

Hi Waldo - Now that see the High version, it seems that the BMC integrated stem/mount that I have would fall somewhere in between. Here's a pic of the BMC mount, where you see the "Garmin" piece comes straight out from the connector, without an up or down bend.

Is there any chance you could make a version that comes straight out and mimics what's in the pic for the Bolt?

Thanks again! Really appreciate it.

Paul

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Sure, give me 24 hours

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com