Peter Denk leaving Cannondale

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Hate to see Denk leave Cannondale. He did a great job at Scott and Cannondale with his designs and innovation. A big add for Specialized. Denk is one of the current stars in this business imo. Heard that Damon Rinard is joining Cannondale? If so, that is awesome. Damon is another standup guy in the business. Look forward to what he will cook up next. Plus he will bring the aero experience he has from Cervelo as well as a very scientific and methodical process for designing and building frames.

by Weenie

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Nooo!
Now I have to buy Specialized.
Great loss for Cannondale. Hopefully now C will get Aerobike.
Scott Foil
Shimano 9150
Shimano FCR-9100-P
Shimano C60 tubulars

davidalone

by davidalone

hhas been confirmed on ST that rinard is going to cannondale. bad news for us locally because the cdale dealer is a **$#*&^$Q@ to deal with

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

How much was Damon responsibile for helping develop when he was at Cervelo?

CBJ

by CBJ

Interesting. He did some nice work for GT too. I guess Specialized wants to take a lead in the light bike category.

wingguy

by wingguy

A genuinely light Tarmac combined with Specialized marketing would make a pretty big impression!

It'll be interesting to see what Cannondale do, whether they do a KVF/Squoval 3 type thing on the Evo or create a seperate Aero bike and keep the Evo as a purely classical climbing bike...

53x12

by 53x12

I for one hope that Cannondale keeps the Evo as the Evo. Make changes to carbon layup as new technology and methods come out. But keep the design and geometry. Bike is pretty much perfect for a mass produced/non-custom/non-boutique frame. But I also hope that Cannondale will add an aero road bike to their road lineup. Sorely missing imo. Rinard is an awesome guy if you follow any of his posts on forums. He is basically one of us, just that his day job is making cool bikes. I think he will have a great impact on Cannondale (their road lineup has gotten fairly stale/boring).
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

headwind816

by headwind816

Maybe the CAAD11 will feature Squoval tube shapes ... if any company would be willing to shape aluminum tubes, I think it would be Cannondale.

I echo the sentiment of leaving the Evo be but meh, I thought the same about the Supersix and look how it evolved. Perhaps a new Evo model will have people dumping their framesets at bargain prices in order to upgrade to the latest and greatest :P

maquisard

by maquisard

MarkTwain wrote:How much was Damon responsibile for helping develop when he was at Cervelo?

Rinard's title was race engineer if I recall correctly and his was very much a systems role, i.e. one of interfacing with the teams to come up with a frame, groupset and wheel package that integrated well for optimum performance. He no doubt did have some input into frame design but he was not one of the guys sat in front of a computer doing FEE on different frame designs or a composite engineer developing new lay-ups.

Denk on the other hand was a frame designer and very much concerned with the low level minutiae of Cannondale's frames.

53x12

by 53x12

maquisard wrote:Rinard's title was race engineer if I recall correctly

Actually, I think Rinard's title was Cervelo Senior Engineer prior to him leaving Cervelo. After Vroomen left the company and White moved into more of a administrative/leadership role at Pon Bicycle Group, I think that is when Rinard became the senior/lead engineer. When Rinard left the Trek Advanced Concept Group, I think he went to Cervelo as a "Race Engineer." Remember, this was the time period of Cervelo TestTeam. After the CTT was disbanded, Rinard still stayed with Cervelo and helped with the engineering of their frames.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

wingguy

by wingguy

From what I can see his titles were Advanced R&D Engineer and Race Engineer, and he's made numerous statements about being heavily involved in the development of new models, and new virtual testing, FEA and CFD methods. And hey, the guy has 2 engineering degrees and built a carbon fibre 'beam' bike in his garage in 1995 - I'd be quite surprised if he wasn't involved in frame design.

53x12

by 53x12

maquisard

by maquisard

Those interviews confirm what I said about his role, he is a senior engineer of which there are many.

The fact that Rinard is doing a lot of interviews and was the main point of contact with Garmin gives away his true role. He is a systems guy, a race engineer, both very important positions but what he is not is a principal composites, design or FEA modelling engineer. Whilst his is a loss to Cervélo, it is not a loss of the same magnitude that Denk is to Cannondale.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

maquisard, I believe you are still wrong. As mentioned above, Damon Rinard came to Cervelo while they still had their Cervelo TestTeam. He came from Trek to be the Race Engineer that you keep referring to. He might have still kept that role while Garmin came on board. BUT, he also became the senior and lead engineer for R&D. The guy is an engineer by education and training. He designs bikes. He designed Cervelo bikes, both road and tri series. He isn't some paper pusher you make him out to be. He was a significant part of the design and creation of the Cervelo models that he was involved in.

uraqt

by uraqt

I think we might be missing the forest.....

I think it's a big win for Cannonade, they will have both Peter and Damon knowledge and from what I can read/tell they are the guys... almost everyone else is a year/design/generation behind. Maybe Gerard Vroomen too, but he is only doing MT bikes.

What bikes/designer have been on the cutting edge the most?

C

by Weenie