PBK duty charges to US.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
User avatar
phatphuk
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:39 pm

by phatphuk

VeloScaper wrote:US import duties vary by state. Some states have no import duties on some items. For example, I don't think CA has any import duties on bike parts. Dutycalculator doesn't seem to take this into account.

Is that right? Hmmmm...

Before today, I've heard of Federal import duties and U.S. Customs. As in...
California Board of Equalization wrote:California Use Tax Information
...
Foreign Purchases

U.S. Customs for property first entering into the United States...
...
Please note: Federal import duties or taxes are imposed under United States Code...
...
(Source: California Board of Equalization)

...But "California import duties"? That's a new one on me. I'm learning something new here everyday.

User avatar
phatphuk
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:39 pm

by phatphuk

dgasmd wrote:As contrast update, I ordered from ribble the same thing I originally ordered from pbk. It got here in 5 days, and no additional fees or charges!

Awesome! Congrats.

Do you mind if I ask what the declared value was this time dgasmd? Same as before? $351?

User avatar
dgasmd
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:10 am
Location: South Florida

by dgasmd

Same!

User avatar
dgasmd
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:10 am
Location: South Florida

by dgasmd

I've order thousands over the years from pretty much all of the popular UK based online vendors: Ribble, Wiggle, PBK, Maestro, Shiny Bikes, and a couple of other lesser known. Again, customs charges I don't have an issue with. All vendors have always clearly stated value on the package.

User avatar
HammerTime2
Posts: 5432
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

phatphuk wrote:
VeloScaper wrote:US import duties vary by state. Some states have no import duties on some items. For example, I don't think CA has any import duties on bike parts. Dutycalculator doesn't seem to take this into account.

Is that right? Hmmmm...

Before today, I've heard of Federal import duties and U.S. Customs. As in...
California Board of Equalization wrote:California Use Tax Information
...
Foreign Purchases

U.S. Customs for property first entering into the United States...
...
Please note: Federal import duties or taxes are imposed under United States Code...
...
(Source: California Board of Equalization)

...But "California import duties"? That's a new one on me. I'm learning something new here everyday.
As regards state "import duties", are you sure you are not confusing import duties with state use taxes? Use tax is a tax charged by a U.S. state for items purchased out of state, which would have been subject to state sales tax had they been purchased in the state. So for foreign purchases, the buyer is supposed to pay the use tax to the state - the actual compliance rate is less than 100% though. As an example, see http://www.boe.ca.gov/taxprograms/usetax/ for California use tax.

User avatar
phatphuk
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:39 pm

by phatphuk

HammerTime2 wrote:...As regards state "import duties", are you sure you are not confusing import duties with state use taxes?
...

Are you asking me that question? Or are you asking VeloScaper?

Like I said. I've never heard of anything called a "State import duty". It sounds far-fetched to me. LOL!

I was hoping VeloScaper could edu-ma-cate me on this never-before-heard-of "California import tax" LOL! I mean. I know they do things different out on the coast than the rest of the country. But this is something totally unique (if it's for real)...

User avatar
phatphuk
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:39 pm

by phatphuk

dgasmd wrote:Same!

Cool! Thanks dgasmd.

Same "Customs Duty: $1.57" too?

Sorry for being so nosy dgasmd. It's just that I'm trying to figure out some kind of rhyme or reason to the seeming randomness of when or even if customs are levied.

Also, your answer will help to determine how close DutyCalculator.com's predictions are. As it stands so far, I'm thinking it is an awesome tool considering it's totally free to use.

User avatar
VeloScaper
Posts: 544
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:20 am
Location: Sitting over the center of the Earth.

by VeloScaper

Seriously guys just do some googling or some better googling. CA use tax, really. "California import tax", oh come on why so difficult!

http://hts.usitc.gov/ see chapter 87, notice the second column from the right. if you're in one of those states use that rate (i.e. free) otherwise use the general rate in the third column from the right.

The ultegra crankset from above, for example, is a Cotterless type crankset which should be dutied under code 8714.96.50.00 and is duty free in all states. So much for Dutycalculator.com that incorrectly applied code 8714.96.90 at 10% rate except for some states like CA that are duty free which again they failed to account for.

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink, you're on your own from here.

User avatar
phatphuk
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:39 pm

by phatphuk

VeloScaper wrote:Seriously guys just do some googling or some better googling. CA use tax, really. "California import tax", oh come on why so difficult!

http://hts.usitc.gov/ see chapter 87, notice the second column from the right. if you're in one of those states use that rate (i.e. free) otherwise use the general rate in the third column from the right.

The ultegra crankset from above, for example, is a Cotterless type crankset which should be dutied under code 8714.96.50.00 and is duty free in all states. So much for Dutycalculator.com that incorrectly applied code 8714.96.90 at 10% rate except for some states like CA that are duty free which again they failed to account for.

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink, you're on your own from here.

Thanks for the cool "drink" VeloScaper :thumbup:

phatphuk wrote:...
I'm thinking it is an awesome tool considering it's totally free to use.
...


Well I guess you get what you pay for :wink:

User avatar
VeloScaper
Posts: 544
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:20 am
Location: Sitting over the center of the Earth.

by VeloScaper

correction. the second column from the right is not states but codes for the country the import is coming from. last I saw this table was years ago as pdf and seeing codes such as CA, CO, IL, MA, PA incorrectly assumed it was states. In this web version you can hover your mouse over it can it tells you what the code means. I was wondering what new code A+ and SG state was, now things make more sense.

User avatar
dgasmd
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:10 am
Location: South Florida

by dgasmd

Same total cost of the purchase declared. No customs charges of any extra fees. Was delivered via USPS.

User avatar
phatphuk
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:39 pm

by phatphuk

dgasmd wrote:Same total cost of the purchase declared. No customs charges of any extra fees. Was delivered via USPS.

Awesome. Thanks dgasmd.

Now for extra "California" trivia points. Who was it that said, "Freeways, free highs, freebies and free OK byes"? (at least that's what I vaguely remember [mis-]hearing him sing)
;)

sanrensho
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:54 pm

by sanrensho

Regarding Wiggle. I just made an inquiry and was told that food products like gels "typically have to be sent by courier (DHL)." This is from an intended order of clothes, parts and gels.

User avatar
bikerjulio
Posts: 1901
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Welland, Ontario

by bikerjulio

sanrensho wrote:Regarding Wiggle. I just made an inquiry and was told that food products like gels "typically have to be sent by courier (DHL)." This is from an intended order of clothes, parts and gels.


Get ready for the bill then.

Or don't include the gels.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

kop89
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:05 am

by kop89

I also got slapped on fees by AirCityPost for the PBK order that I placed last week.

Product: SHIMANO DURA-ACE CS-9000 BICYCLE CASSETTE - 11 SPE, CONTINENTAL COMPETITION 22 TUBULAR ROAD TYRE BLACK
Shipper: THE HUT GROUP
Declared Value: $565.96
You are required to pay the following United States Customs Duty and related fees in order to clear customs and have your parcel shipped to you:
Customs Duty: $1.96
Advancement Fee: $6.50
Handling Fee: $15.00
TOTAL: $23.46


Strange - I only paid $311, but why the declared value is $565?
I have ordered parts from PBK, Wiggle, CRC in the past and this is the first time I have to pay fees. For anyone in USA who recently ordered stuff from PBK, could you share your experience? I would like to know whether I was just being lucky this one time or whether this will be a consistent trend.

Thank you!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post