Garmin Edge 510 Heartrate goes up o 240 while descending

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Nathan-
AFAIK Polar are NOT Ant + compatible, and therefore won't work....

Powertap / suunto ones work great and have no problems
Official cafe stop tester

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

jekyll man wrote:Nathan-
AFAIK Polar are NOT Ant + compatible, and therefore won't work....

Powertap / suunto ones work great and have no problems

you snap the garmin transmitter ONTO the polar strap. CMON IM STRAPPED WITH THIS SETUP RIGHT NOW!!!!

oh and dc rainmaker makes a similar claim to mine.
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solu ... pikes.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

the garmin transmitter is still the problem :wink:
Official cafe stop tester

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

jekyll man wrote:the garmin transmitter is still the problem :wink:

then get a new transmitter. If the transmitter is bad like broken, then no brand of strap will give good readings. This ALSO happened to me. I swapped the transmitter from strap to strap, to confirm* that it went bad (i also had a brand new garmin strap / transmitter to compare to simultaneously..)

Rick

by Rick

uhhh....did anyone ask if you have tried replacing the transmitter battery ?

Stoo

by Stoo

I had this issue pre-race on sturday.

Afterwards, I changed the battery and it's perfect now!
'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

Bogan

by Bogan

Rick wrote:uhhh....did anyone ask if you have tried replacing the transmitter battery ?

Spot on. This is what I did recently. New battery fixed the issue.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

ANV

by ANV

Thank's for all the suggestions!! I'll definitely try them put on my ride tomorrow. :)

Franklin

by Franklin

I think the problem is something much less complicated. The OP is descending faster than he can handle and thus is so scared that his heart-rate spikes...

:mrgreen:

MoPho

by MoPho

ToffieBoi wrote:I tried everything to get correct HR data from my premium strap but couldn't success...

The best solution is, throwing it out and buying the old, normal plastic strap. No issues at all and works perfect.

^ This! I went through 4 premium straps and they would all die on me within 3-4 months of getting it. I am convinced it is the PH of my sweat or something because some people have no problems with them. Finally got Garmin to send me the old style strap and it has been great.
:thumbup: to Garmins customer service too.

Rick

by Rick

Also: To the best of my research, historically, Garmin had a standard "plastic" HRM strap, and a fabric "premium" HRM strap.
The initial fabric strap had a lot of problems and widespread complaints due to erratic readings due probably to static electricity and poor conductive patches. So many users downgraded to the plastic strap and reported that it worked much better.

Later, however, Garmin upgraded the "premium" fabric strap with better conductivity and electrode areas. So it is reported to have "fixed" that problem. The new strap is distinguished by the part number, the designation "HRM3" and has some obviously "thicker" (conductive ?) gray fiber areas near the electrodes.

This happened to me. I had problems with the old fabric strap, so I got the newer model. The newer fabric strap works fine.

Soft Strap Premium Heart Rate Monitor
Part Number: 010-10997-07

You still need to have good batteries and wash the strap regularly. Body salts/oils create a non-conductive layer on the rubber electrodes. Put a bit of laundry soap on them and scrub lightly with a soft bristle brush. Rinse I dry.

MoPho

by MoPho

The "new" and "improved" fabric strap Garmin sent me worked for about one month before going all erratic again on me again, it was worse then the previous ones. I downgraded to the standard plastic strap and it has been great.

commendatore

by commendatore

The old style plastic strap combined with electrode gel is yet to fail me. Without the gel I did have problems in winter or when I wasn't producing enough sweat

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

commendatore wrote:The old style plastic strap combined with electrode gel is yet to fail me. Without the gel I did have problems in winter or when I wasn't producing enough sweat

Another tip about this;

I am buying ultrasound gel from the pharmacy, like 1litre for a dollar or something.
They do the same work and much much more cheaper than the "HR Monitor Gel" they are selling.

It is really easy to find them in Turkey, but I wasn't able to find it easily in Poland.
So, I guess, you need to go for bigger pharmacies for it, or maybe websites.

ANV

by ANV

I could solve my problem with a new undershirt.. But now I don't wear it anymore because its too hot and the same problem appeared again. Next time i will twist the strap from beginning ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com