When carrying a bike on the roof...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

aerozy

by aerozy

deleted
Sunny cycling holidays in Portugal @ Cherry Cottage Vintage B&B

makoti

by makoti

Never thought about it, but driver's side.
Since we're talking roof racks...I have Yakima. When I put the bike up top, the fork mount always slips down so the front of the bike drops about 3 inches from where it started. Can't seem to tighten it enough. Any ideas to get it to stay put?

commendatore

by commendatore

Never heard of that issue. I think the solution might be to buy thule

emorydptt

by emorydptt

It never really mattered to me. However, you guys bring up a good point with parallel parking.

Fortunately, I never came across the problem of driving into the garage.
my YouTube channel- keep the grams down and the watts up!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

Rob1519

by Rob1519

Normally I carry my bike on with a fork mount roof tray on the right side, at least locally at non highway speeds. This weekend I took a family trip requiring extended highway speed and having my bike in the normal roof rack (drag, exposure, fork stress) was not an option.

The solution was to load the bike in a Yakima Skybox. Wheels off, seat post removed, frame covered with foam, very easy and as an added bonus, no exposure to weather or bug splats!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

A good roof rack means you can fit an Italian continental team in the mini van...

duvivr6

by duvivr6

I normally do driver side also.

I can't help to worry about it flying away so this way I can look out the window :noidea:

commendatore

by commendatore

I always load it on the drivers side. I'm surprised it never crossed my mind before, but it might be easier to keep the drivers side tray adjusted for the road bike, and the passenger side adjusted for the cx bike. But always, always, always, the garage door opener goes in the glove box.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

the drivers side - mainly in order to minimize the risk of hitting a tree branch. might happen on some local country roads...
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I always put it on the drive side of the car.
Thats how my bike stays away from the trees, traffic signs and other possible dangers...

But if I am alone at car, I never use my roof rack.
Removing front wheel and it goes on rear seats horizontally. No issues and really fast.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Best way to avoid driving into your garage with the bikes still on the roof is to put the door opener in a old cycling glove. As soon as you reach for the remote, you remember immediately...

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Best way to avoid driving into the garage with bikes on the roof is to keep the garage sop full of bikes a car won't fit.

LocoDuck

by LocoDuck

xnavalav8r wrote:Best way to avoid driving into the garage with bikes on the roof is to keep the garage sop full of bikes a car won't fit.

+1! Even with a double garage I can't fit my car in there. :lol:

mattr

by mattr

Bikes in the garage?
FFS, is this place full of amateurs?

:lol: :wink:

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I have used a roof rack for years...and I park in the garage :) .

I do two things as soon as my bikes are on the roof:

1. Open the sun-roof shade cover (just so it acts like a window to the roof to remind me they are there)

2. I put strip of blue painters tape over the garage door opener.
(most cars, mine included, now have door-openers installed in the car, so I don't have a traditional opener I can put somewhere else, so I keep a roll of blue painters tape in the glove box)

Just my experience.