Garmin Edge 500 Battery Replacement - How to / DIY / Guide

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

@miltmaster3: Yes, I've always had plenty of warning of my 520 battery going flat, but I've found that a good thing - can finish the current ride and then put on charge. The problem is that the time between charges is getting lower and lower. Hence the need for a new battery.

@pdlpsher1: Thanks for that. Only trouble is that battery vendor doesn't ship to NZ and the shipping for the green pry bars is USD18 vs a price of USD3.49! Still nothing I probably can't fix by digging around in the bay. Was just hoping someone might have tried a particular battery vendor with success (long bat life).

Cheers
GJ

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Gearjunkie wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:46 am
@miltmaster3: Yes, I've always had plenty of warning of my 520 battery going flat, but I've found that a good thing - can finish the current ride and then put on charge. The problem is that the time between charges is getting lower and lower. Hence the need for a new battery.

@pdlpsher1: Thanks for that. Only trouble is that battery vendor doesn't ship to NZ and the shipping for the green pry bars is USD18 vs a price of USD3.49! Still nothing I probably can't fix by digging around in the bay. Was just hoping someone might have tried a particular battery vendor with success (long bat life).

Cheers
GJ
Did you try searching for the same product from a seller located in China? These are commodity items and all the sellers sell the same thing. Just search by the battery part number.

by Weenie

Miller

by Miller

I did go ahead and replace the battery in my 520. I got the battery from batteryupgrade.co.uk for £21.49 and I bought a metal and plastic spudger (great word) set from ebay for £2.89.

Having watched a youtube video I went ahead and pried off the front screen. It is glued firmly in place but if you work round the edge methodically, it eventually comes off although some force is needed. Take care at the bottom RH corner where the ribbon cable lives.

Next, unscrew the circuit board and lift it out. Unplug the battery from the circuit board. The battery is stuck to the case but can be easily pried out.

I cut the wires from battery to speaker then soldered the speaker wires to the new battery. The new battery came with the necessary plug and wires. The old battery is 700mAh but the new one is rated as 600 mAh.

After this I reassembled. The Garmin started up fine but... no sound. I opened it up again and found the plug was slightly loose. Reassembled and all was good with those familiar beeps. To replace the screen I put a little bit of 'No More Nails' DIY glue round the edge and put a weight on the thing till the glue set.

It will be interesting to see how the battery life is from now on.

kode54

by kode54

nice job! its a shame that Garmin is using a one-time foam seal. the one in my Edge 810 has a silicone reuseable seal.

i also noticed that there's no second circuit board for the speaker like on the 810...which is why you probably have to splice the wires with the battery.
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Parlee ESX + DA9150 + THM SRM PM + Enve SES 7.8 carbon hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

πατα τραβα ρε

nismosr

by nismosr

anybody try replacing the battery on the 820
- 2018 Colnago V2-R TNMR - Campagnolo SR EPS - Lightweight Gen III - P2Max
- 2017 Colnago Concept CHDB - Campagnolo SR EPS - Bora One 50 - Deda Superzero - Stages
- 2015 Cipollini RB800 - Campagnolo Athena EPS - Bora One 35 - P2Max