Garmin Edge 500 Battery Replacement - How to / DIY / Guide

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Exar
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

by Exar

Dan512 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:39 pm
Any news about the battery change in your 705? Thinking about doing mine.
I've done a couple, it's quite easy, unscrew the Torx screws on the back, open up the case, remove battery (it's glued in but it's not that hard to remove), replace with new battery, make sure all cables are reconnected (again, not hard and there's really only one way to attach them), close it up. If you have a reasonable level of hand-eye coordination and technical insight you'll be finished within 15 minutes. Then again, if play blocks puzzled you to no end in Kindergarten, I would leave the job to someone else ;)
Chains to the right!

by Weenie


Dan512
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:13 pm

by Dan512

Exar wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:50 am
Dan512 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:39 pm
Any news about the battery change in your 705? Thinking about doing mine.
I've done a couple, it's quite easy, unscrew the Torx screws on the back, open up the case, remove battery (it's glued in but it's not that hard to remove), replace with new battery, make sure all cables are reconnected (again, not hard and there's really only one way to attach them), close it up. If you have a reasonable level of hand-eye coordination and technical insight you'll be finished within 15 minutes. Then again, if play blocks puzzled you to no end in Kindergarten, I would leave the job to someone else ;)
Thanks! I’ll put that on my winter todo list :D

lucksun
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:00 pm

by lucksun

There's a lot of information.

SpeedyChix
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Midwest USA

by SpeedyChix

Put a new battery in my Edge 800. Easy and gives the GPS a nice long run time again : )
adrenaline junkie

User avatar
Miller
Posts: 1625
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Reading, UK

by Miller

alanmclean wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:49 pm
Thanks for great post. Has anyone a link to similar guide to change battery on a 520 please?
Didn't see an answer on this, is it feasible for a 520 ?

User avatar
pdlpsher1
Posts: 2424
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Location: CO

by pdlpsher1

Miller wrote:
alanmclean wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:49 pm
Thanks for great post. Has anyone a link to similar guide to change battery on a 520 please?
Didn't see an answer on this, is it feasible for a 520 ?
Yes. You just need to buy a small pick tool (green one) and the battery is $10 on Fleabay. I recently did mine but I made one fatal error. I watched the DYI video and the video showed the screen going back on without adding any glue. I did just that and it seemed OK for a week. Then on a ride I went over a cow gate and the impact popped the screen out and damaged the ribbon cable going into the screen. I had to sent it to Garmin and spend $110. So you must put glue (contact cement will do) since the gasket holding the original screen in place will be comprised when you remove the screen for the first time. Don’t use heat or brute force when prying the screen. Be very gentle and take your time. There’s a YouTube video showing a guy who cracked his 520 screen when too much force was used.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Miller
Posts: 1625
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Reading, UK

by Miller

Thanks for the pointers, I'll check out the YouTube vids.

Sapateira
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:16 pm

by Sapateira

Very useful post! Thanks!

Some one know if I can do the same in a Edge 25? Maybe more or less the same process but my principal question is the batery for Edge 25 is easy to found and buy? Wath I need to know if the batery I buy its the correct?

Thanks again

User avatar
Miller
Posts: 1625
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Reading, UK

by Miller

Still not fancying doing this battery replacement myself but the battery life on my 4 year old 520 gets worse and worse.

I contacted Garmin and they will supply a replacement 520 for £94. On the other hand, a new 520 Plus can now be had for £200.

Is the 520 Plus worth £106 over the 520?

User avatar
pdlpsher1
Posts: 2424
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Location: CO

by pdlpsher1

What's holding you back from doing it yourself?

User avatar
Miller
Posts: 1625
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Reading, UK

by Miller

What the hell, I've ordered a battery, will give it a go. The unit is on its last legs anyway.

Would still like to know whether a 520 Plus is a worthwhile upgrade over a 520.

User avatar
pdlpsher1
Posts: 2424
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Location: CO

by pdlpsher1

Make sure you also use the green pry bars. Without these bars you risk damage to the screen.

Image

User avatar
Gearjunkie
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:17 am
Location: NZ

by Gearjunkie

I'm having the same problem with my 520.

I did replace the battery on a couple of older 800's a few years ago. Went ok, but the replacement batteries (eebaay) weren't great.

So a couple of questions:
+ Where can we buy looong life / high capacity batteries for the 520 (not too worried about cost, just want them to last).

+ Where do we find the green pry bars?

Cheers :beerchug:
GJ

User avatar
miltmaster3
Posts: 667
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:29 pm
Location: patra greece

by miltmaster3

Gearjunkie wrote:I'm having the same problem with my 520.

I did replace the battery on a couple of older 800's a few years ago. Went ok, but the replacement batteries (eebaay) weren't great.

So a couple of questions:
+ Where can we buy looong life / high capacity batteries for the 520 (not too worried about cost, just want them to last).

+ Where do we find the green pry bars?

Cheers :beerchug:
GJ
The edge battery problem has to do with bad firmware and bad battery calibration
I had low battery indicator but the unit keep working for about 2+ hours


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε


by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post