Garmin Edge 500 Battery Replacement - How to / DIY / Guide

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

lucksun

by lucksun

There's a lot of information.

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Put a new battery in my Edge 800. Easy and gives the GPS a nice long run time again : )
adrenaline junkie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

alanmclean wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:49 pm
Thanks for great post. Has anyone a link to similar guide to change battery on a 520 please?
Didn't see an answer on this, is it feasible for a 520 ?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Miller wrote:
alanmclean wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:49 pm
Thanks for great post. Has anyone a link to similar guide to change battery on a 520 please?
Didn't see an answer on this, is it feasible for a 520 ?
Yes. You just need to buy a small pick tool (green one) and the battery is $10 on Fleabay. I recently did mine but I made one fatal error. I watched the DYI video and the video showed the screen going back on without adding any glue. I did just that and it seemed OK for a week. Then on a ride I went over a cow gate and the impact popped the screen out and damaged the ribbon cable going into the screen. I had to sent it to Garmin and spend $110. So you must put glue (contact cement will do) since the gasket holding the original screen in place will be comprised when you remove the screen for the first time. Don’t use heat or brute force when prying the screen. Be very gentle and take your time. There’s a YouTube video showing a guy who cracked his 520 screen when too much force was used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miller

by Miller

Thanks for the pointers, I'll check out the YouTube vids.

Sapateira

by Sapateira

Very useful post! Thanks!

Some one know if I can do the same in a Edge 25? Maybe more or less the same process but my principal question is the batery for Edge 25 is easy to found and buy? Wath I need to know if the batery I buy its the correct?

Thanks again

Miller

by Miller

Still not fancying doing this battery replacement myself but the battery life on my 4 year old 520 gets worse and worse.

I contacted Garmin and they will supply a replacement 520 for £94. On the other hand, a new 520 Plus can now be had for £200.

Is the 520 Plus worth £106 over the 520?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

What's holding you back from doing it yourself?

Miller

by Miller

What the hell, I've ordered a battery, will give it a go. The unit is on its last legs anyway.

Would still like to know whether a 520 Plus is a worthwhile upgrade over a 520.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Make sure you also use the green pry bars. Without these bars you risk damage to the screen.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I'm having the same problem with my 520.

I did replace the battery on a couple of older 800's a few years ago. Went ok, but the replacement batteries (eebaay) weren't great.

So a couple of questions:
+ Where can we buy looong life / high capacity batteries for the 520 (not too worried about cost, just want them to last).

+ Where do we find the green pry bars?

Cheers :beerchug:
GJ

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

Gearjunkie wrote:I'm having the same problem with my 520.

I did replace the battery on a couple of older 800's a few years ago. Went ok, but the replacement batteries (eebaay) weren't great.

So a couple of questions:
+ Where can we buy looong life / high capacity batteries for the 520 (not too worried about cost, just want them to last).

+ Where do we find the green pry bars?

Cheers :beerchug:
GJ
The edge battery problem has to do with bad firmware and bad battery calibration
I had low battery indicator but the unit keep working for about 2+ hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

@miltmaster3: Yes, I've always had plenty of warning of my 520 battery going flat, but I've found that a good thing - can finish the current ride and then put on charge. The problem is that the time between charges is getting lower and lower. Hence the need for a new battery.

@pdlpsher1: Thanks for that. Only trouble is that battery vendor doesn't ship to NZ and the shipping for the green pry bars is USD18 vs a price of USD3.49! Still nothing I probably can't fix by digging around in the bay. Was just hoping someone might have tried a particular battery vendor with success (long bat life).

Cheers
GJ

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Gearjunkie wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:46 am
@miltmaster3: Yes, I've always had plenty of warning of my 520 battery going flat, but I've found that a good thing - can finish the current ride and then put on charge. The problem is that the time between charges is getting lower and lower. Hence the need for a new battery.

@pdlpsher1: Thanks for that. Only trouble is that battery vendor doesn't ship to NZ and the shipping for the green pry bars is USD18 vs a price of USD3.49! Still nothing I probably can't fix by digging around in the bay. Was just hoping someone might have tried a particular battery vendor with success (long bat life).

Cheers
GJ
Did you try searching for the same product from a seller located in China? These are commodity items and all the sellers sell the same thing. Just search by the battery part number.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com