Garmin Edge 500 Battery Replacement - How to / DIY / Guide

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

sunki

by sunki

Nice and thanks. Im gonna try 1000.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

schmolke

by schmolke

Does anyone know if replacing the battery in the Edge 800 the same process ?

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

schmolke wrote:Does anyone know if replacing the battery in the Edge 800 the same process ?

I changed the battery on my edge 800 6mths ago and the process is much much easier.. just unscrew the case, unplug the screen, exchange batteries, re-clip the screen, reattach cover and VOILA!!!! Easy pleasy, lemon squeezy..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

saeie1

by saeie1

I'm using 520, but I think it's a good tip for a battery drain.
But I don't know if I can.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks for great post. Has anyone a link to similar guide to change battery on a 520 please?
I've tried a simple search but can't see anything.
Regards

Alan

track01

by track01

Great guide. Might come in handy someday.

dorihun

by dorihun

Good information. Thanks for posting this.

kauphy

by kauphy

My Garmin was acting weird and I decided it was time to replace the battery (I'm hoping the battery was the root cause!). Thanks for posting this guide.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Hiya, my issue with my 520 is that when charging, the micro USB port needs some pressure for it to make contact.

Given that it's a surface mount jobbie, any tips for repair ?

Most realistic option is a refurb unit at A$141.96 (yep, that's the amount from the Garmin peeps here in Oz) and I've seena link for a company to repair the USB port, but they are in the USA and I'm in Oz, so that doesn't really work.

Anyone had this issue, and if so, what was your remedy ?

TonyM

by TonyM

Does anyone do the battery replacement on a 820?
Is the battery of the 820 the same as the 510?

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Well, Ive had my 705 unit since they first came out. Works like on day one, but haven't tested how long the battery lasts as I put it back on the charger overnight after 2-3 uses. I would venture to guess the battery doesn't last 8 hr. I found some replacement batteries from amazon, so I may have my "home tech department", aka my 15 y.o. son, do this for me. He has taken iPhones apart so easily to replace so many things one would think he invented them himself LOL......Oh, the beauty when you have no idea of the work and effort that it took to buy it in the first place if you f....k it up!!

derrill

by derrill

I appreciate you making this. I bought a Torx T5 screwdriver ("CRV" bit), but it seems that it doesn't fit the screws... Are you sure it's a T5? Maybe I should try a smaller bit? Or maybe I should just buy a Torx Screwdriver kit with many bits and just try everything?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Dan512

by Dan512

dgasmd wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:20 pm
Well, Ive had my 705 unit since they first came out. Works like on day one, but haven't tested how long the battery lasts as I put it back on the charger overnight after 2-3 uses. I would venture to guess the battery doesn't last 8 hr. I found some replacement batteries from amazon, so I may have my "home tech department", aka my 15 y.o. son, do this for me. He has taken iPhones apart so easily to replace so many things one would think he invented them himself LOL......Oh, the beauty when you have no idea of the work and effort that it took to buy it in the first place if you f....k it up!!
Any news about the battery change in your 705? Thinking about doing mine.

Exar

by Exar

Dan512 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:39 pm
I've done a couple, it's quite easy, unscrew the Torx screws on the back, open up the case, remove battery (it's glued in but it's not that hard to remove), replace with new battery, make sure all cables are reconnected (again, not hard and there's really only one way to attach them), close it up. If you have a reasonable level of hand-eye coordination and technical insight you'll be finished within 15 minutes. Then again, if play blocks puzzled you to no end in Kindergarten, I would leave the job to someone else ;)
Chains to the right!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan512

by Dan512

Exar wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:50 am
Dan512 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:39 pm
I've done a couple, it's quite easy, unscrew the Torx screws on the back, open up the case, remove battery (it's glued in but it's not that hard to remove), replace with new battery, make sure all cables are reconnected (again, not hard and there's really only one way to attach them), close it up. If you have a reasonable level of hand-eye coordination and technical insight you'll be finished within 15 minutes. Then again, if play blocks puzzled you to no end in Kindergarten, I would leave the job to someone else ;)
Thanks! I’ll put that on my winter todo list :D