2009 Tour of The Gila

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

kenyoncycleist

by kenyoncycleist

Has anyone here done the mens 3 race or higher before? What can i expect in terms of field strength, attacks, etc? Coming from boulder im pretty confident about my ability to go up hill, is the race usually decided on the climbs or sprints, breakaways etc?

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Lots of pain. :shock:

gila is pretty much all about the climbs.
Its a great race.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Yes... look at the course profile. Even the TT and crit are far from flat. If you are really an outstanding climber the Mogollon stage has a killer climb at the end, and on the last day there is a long climb near the end as well.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Bit of a bump up here...

Any weenies have experience with the amateur versions? Terribly time of the year for me, but looks cool. Any other events like this in the u.s. later in the year?

boots2000

by boots2000

Great race. Stages are not super long- but some are hard.
You need logistical help for the Mogellon stage as well as for feeds on other stages (feeds matter).
Base elevation is about 6000 ft. Can be hot. Usually windy.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Sounds good for early season then, intensity not as much a problem as distance for me in the early season. Cool that they keep the tt in there, equipment rules? Not that I even have a TT bike, would just be throwing on some clip ons. Racing at 2,000m would be ok, higher than that might start to be a struggle.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Actually more likely to be cold than hot that time of year, and wind is normal and can be extreme.

It's an awesome race with tough competition.
formerly rruff...