Moving to Europe - where?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Ive lived in the UK, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Cyprus, Belgium, the Netherlands and finally Spain, on top of which, god forbid, Ive married an Italian. Id posit the choice of location is primarily driven by practical considerations, even for the most avid cyclist. Given the OP seems long gone looks like the thread is now just about "I like this type of cookie"...

bally81

by bally81

I would move to Switzerland, canton Ticino. You have there lakes (Como, Lago di Lugano, Lago Maggiore) a mild climate, close to Italy, surrounded by the mountains and you have your swiss salary.

:beerchug:
Caad 10
Bianchi EV3
Canyon Speedmax AL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elviento

by elviento

I vote for Lugano. Try the Arosio climb when you get there...
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

de zwarten

by de zwarten

jockster wrote:If I were to pack up my things and go all in to move somewhere in Europe that offers far better cycling than where I am located now, where would that be?

Girona, Spain, seems to be the choice for many pros along with Tuscany in Italy. Any ideas or thoughts?

As you haven't provided any info on where you are located NOW, this topic makes no sense.
As you havent'provided any info on what you understand as 'far better cycling', this topic... etcetera.

53x12

by 53x12

bally81 wrote:I would move to Switzerland, canton Ticino. You have there lakes (Como, Lago di Lugano, Lago Maggiore) a mild climate, close to Italy, surrounded by the mountains and you have your swiss salary.

:beerchug:

Also have Swiss cost of living. Not sure that is really a benefit. Depends what field of work the OP is in and whether potential salary would outweigh COL.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Interestingly, I heard a very valid quote that was part of a much larger speech on societies, social psychology, economics, technology, development, issues of race, and a lot. Very interesting speech, I wish I knew what the program was about because I just happened upon it while flipping channels at a friend's house.

Anyway, the quote:
"If you want to see history, go to Europe. If you want to see the future, go to Asia."

(by Asia he was referring to the entire continent, not just the 'Orient' part of it)

Which actually got me thinking on a very tangential mode to this topic: really, this planet is absolutely magnificent. There is so much potential for riding (among other things) that it's often mind-blowing in magnitude. For those that have been paying attention, many of the countries and places that we (1st world people) have often dismissed are not only catching up, they are surpassing the past in numerous ways. One of these is roads/trails. Eventually will come safety conditions, in regards to respect of vehicular traffic to cyclists. ... but, imagining that those things come through at some point on a level of equity (or better), I must say that there are so many options for places to live that will both thrill riding pleasure and fulfill the daily/living needs of a person that one should not limit themselves to just Europe.

That will ultimately be the future. Perhaps sooner than we imagine. In the meantime, Europe seems to be the mainstay dream for most cyclists - and with good reason. There is a history that has been established.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

prendrefeu wrote:"If you want to see history, go to Europe. If you want to see the future, go to Asia."

if it's a sort of future that refuses to acknowledge the basic human dignity in pursuit of evergrowing business and bettering economical indicators, then i'm not sure it's really the future we're talking about. both europe with it's industrial era and america with genocide and slavery have learned the hard way - as a result our kids, probably for the first time in the history of mankind, have something called childhood. not to mention qualities like freedom, justice, education.. you name it. and human rights on top of that. these are great achievements of the very recent history that somehow (to me) seem to be almost completely missing in the way asian economies progress
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

With all due respect, I'm not intending to turn this conversation into a political one. We can go into a debate on the subjects you are referring to, but not only was that intentionally avoided in what I wrote in order to avoid a contentious subject, you have missed the message completely and diverted it into an arena that this thread has thus far avoided. I would prefer that we avoid a debate on race, politics and histories. Very few places bare clean hands in these matters, and one person's experience is not necessarily the same as their neighbor's.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

you misunderstood me, i didn't mean to start any political debate at all. the original question was 'where to live and ride'. i assume the 'live' factor is pretty essential, thus my very limited observation hardly touching the surface of the question of living and it's quality. i know you just made a quotation, my intentions were only to show that 'common beliefs', such as the one you presented, are often like sticks with two ends
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Agreed, a stick with two ends! :)

jockster

by jockster

Many thanks for everybody sharing their views on the subject. Maybe I should have let you guys know more when making my first post. Currently based in Scandinavia so when I said I wanted "far better conditions", I was looking for somewhere with solid all-year conditions where it doesn't get dark after 14:00 during November.

Here's my current thought on the locations that been suggested this far:

Switzerland, Geneva - Plenty of people mentioning it and it sure has both mountains and scenery. Despite being able to make myself understood in German, isn't Geneva a bit harsh for winter riding?

Austria, somewhere - Also has the scenery and seems a bit less expensive then Switzerland, but still not sold on it weatherwise.

Holland and esp. Belgium appeals a lot to me with friendly people, the huge all-year cycling culture and racing, but everytime I have been there in the past its been raining horizontally!

France, southern part, Nice? - Don't know the language and the French people have dismissed me one too many times after asking directions speaking Anglais in the past. Maybe I've just been meeting the wrong people.

Spain, Portugal and Italy. All three countries appeals equally to me with mellow winters and friendly people. I would also be equally lost language-wise in all three places. With the current economical situation, renting a home would probably make most sense - right?

Need to make some more research on the islands though (Corsica, Tenerife, Majorca, Sicily & Sardinia). I believe I read that Corsica is quite violent though and Tenerife + Majorca has its share of party people.

Dalai

by Dalai

jockster wrote:France, southern part, Nice? - Don't know the language and the French people have dismissed me one too many times after asking directions speaking Anglais in the past. Maybe I've just been meeting the wrong people.

Did you at least attempt to start the conversion in French? Rarely had an issue in France if doing this... Pretty obvious from my accent and dodgy French that I wasn't a native; nearly always met with a helpful and English reply.

Antoine

by Antoine

southern Europe is the only place with good weather in winter (not this year but it was exceptionnal)

most pros are based in Spain , Girona or Tenerife, it's probably the best : cheap, good weather, friendly people, , ...

Some places in Italy must be nice , and Algarve in Portugal too.

I would avoid Nice and Corsica.

I don't think economic situation is a concern, Germany and France are there to pay for poorer European countries ...

Safety is more a problem in France and Switzerland than elsewhere in Europe.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

If you want the highest density of cycling clubs, the worst roads the most races (and the most racy training groups you will find), you will have to come to Belgium.
If you like to ride long and relaxed, I would recommend the obvious (Spain/France).
I ride summer/winter on my race bike, it generally is not freezing hard for longer than 2-3 weeks, and while it can rain in all seasons, statistically, it almost never rains: http://www.hetregentbijnanooit.nl/site/ (get it through google translate, but the pie graph shows that a daily commuter has approx. 9% rainy rides, thus 91% dry).

elviento

by elviento

Keep this up. Coolest thread in a while...
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com